Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Three

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Three
    Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:00
Apparently Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison have registered a company called Porcupine 3 so a comeback may be on the cards?

Edited by chopper - May 27 2021 at 04:02
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:02
probably without Steven Wilson. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:02
Really? Where did you read about this?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:03
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

It's been posted in a number of prog bands' Facebook pages e.g. The Tangent.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:13

Wilson has said repeatedly that he has no interest in reuniting Porcupine Tree. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 04:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't know who first came across this or how, but it doesn't necessarily prove that they're making a comeback, it could be licensing or royalty related.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 05:22

Apart from in two interviews earlier this year where he said otherwise....

It has seemed for a couple of months now, that things are being geared up for a Porcupine Tree reunion. Whether that is only live, or a new album, is all conjecture - but it is definitely no longer seems as unlikely as it has previously.

I am quite ambivalent about it, and if anything hope this is all rumours which amount to nothing, because I’m honestly not sure I want to hear any new Porcupine Tree material. I find where Steven Wilson is going far more interesting, and it seems a little like a step backwards.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 05:28
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It has seemed for a couple of months now, that things are being geared up for a Porcupine Tree reunion. Whether that is only live, or a new album, is all conjecture - but it is definitely no longer seems as unlikely as it has previously.

I am quite ambivalent about it, and if anything hope this is all rumours which amount to nothing, because I’m honestly not sure I want to hear any new Porcupine Tree material. I find where Steven Wilson is going far more interesting, and it seems a little like a step backwards.

Wilson said in an interview that going back to PT would be a step backwards for him. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 05:38
Steven Wilson has Ian Anderson/Tull syndrome, so I don't see it happening.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 06:06

That's not exactly true. In a 2020 interview, he said that it is not unlikely for Porcupine Tree to reunite in the future, when everyone is least expecting, so I think he has changed his mind about this.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 06:10
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Yes, exactly. As for the paragraph below, he has said that whether or not Porcupine Tree had continued to exist, the material they could have been releasing, would have been exactly what he is releasing as a solo artist.
So, eventual new music from them would be warmly welcomed by me, as you never know what to expect from SW & Co.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 07:26
^ Well, in that case fine - being it on!

Definitely the signs are all there that a Porcupine Tree reunion is now a “when” rather than an “if”.  People change their minds, and while in the past Wilson has dismissed the idea of getting back together with PT, recent interviews have definitely seen him explicitly stating that he would like to play live with Porcupine Tree again, and maybe even record new music with them. And yes, he definitely threw out that chestnut that “a PT reunion would happen when we least expect it”. (That may not be the exact quote, because I can’t be bothered to look for it - but please Google’s if you feel so inclined.)

As my only “concern” about a PT reunion was it being a return to old sounds, the news above that PT would have been making the music that has been released as SW means I am ready for whatever comes....

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 14:04
I think it would only be interesting if Wilson took a more backseat role , maybe just singing and producing (if you can call that 'backseat' lol) and let others write the material. I also don't see any reason why he can't have a solo career and still be a part of PT at the same time. The opportunities to play live are still limited so just do both instead!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 14:33
1) How strong evidence is registering this company that there will be a reunion of the band? Not very strong I'd think.

2) On the other hand, they could call the band Porcupine Three and say it's a new band, not a reunion. Wilson can then say there won't be a reunion as much as he wants, and can even feel he's right. 

3) Liking almost all of PT MUCH more than almost all of Wilson's solo stuff, I'd of course love to see that happening.

Edited by Lewian - May 27 2021 at 14:34
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 16:01
The PT website has been updated also so there seems to be something in the works. A reunion maybe? Who knows. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 00:43
A number of things have happened that point towards some sort of reunion, none of which is conclusive or substantial - which is why it remains only a rumour.

An official YT channel for Porcupine Tree has been created, and is being fairly heavily promoted with the suggestion that people subscribe to the channel, in order to not miss what will be some really special updates.

As above, the website has been updated, and again this has been quite heavily promoted.

In at least two interviews (possibly more, but it’s only been two I’ve personally read) Steven Wilson has gone back on his previous words, and said that he would like to play and record with PT again, and that the band WILL reform (when we least expect it).

Porcupine Three.

LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 02:36
I read on one of SW's interviews that he would only be interested in bringing back the band if other members came up with most/all of the songwriting material, otherwise he might as well use his solo label for anything that sounds like PT.

I have noticed that a lot of things are happening with the PT band. In addition to the post above, the band also have a Bandcamp page and have been releasing previously unheard live material from their early 90s days. Initially I thought it was just them making their music more easy to access and milking the popularity of the band. But with everything else that has been said I think there is a high chance for a PT reunion, especially given that SW's solo work is moving further away from Prog these days. Maybe PT will be where he writes his Prog albums from now on, while the Pop/electronic stuff stays in his solo albums?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 10:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think it would only be interesting if Wilson took a more backseat role , maybe just singing and producing (if you can call that 'backseat' lol) and let others write the material. I also don't see any reason why he can't have a solo career and still be a part of PT at the same time. The opportunities to play live are still limited so just do both instead!

The last interview I read/heard was exactly that, Steven Wilson had little to no interest in being the main music and lyric writer. Which assumes he wants the other members to contribute the material.........Here's the problem I see with that.
I think SW likes to be in some kind of control with content and if he does not like what say Richard or Gavin come up with he'll end up re-doing it or simply providing all the material like in the past, which he might as well release as a solo album rather than split everything 4-ways.
Gavin is contributing to The Pineapple Thief so he is very capable, I'm not sure about Richard or Colin and those three doing words and music that SW will enjoy playing and singing.

They could make a huge splash by simply touring for a year in 2022 without any new material and it may only be in the US with Covid restrictions lifting all over the country.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 14:40
If SW only wants to bring back PT when people least expect it, and he sees this thread, he may well cancel it. We may be very unwise speculating here.  Shocked

Other than that, I have always loved Japan and Richard Barbieri's work, so if he contributes a lot, fine by me.

Edited by Lewian - May 28 2021 at 14:41
Corcoranw687 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corcoranw687 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 13:41
When he cancelled his tour earlier in the year, he did mention he was working on two new albums. Imagine if one was solo and one was PT? Pretty cool thought
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>