Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your lowest rated reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 09:23
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 09:35
Hi,

NONE. 

I read a lot, I write a lot, I listen to a lot of music ... and after a while I discovered that I had preferences but no opinions otherwise.

If the film, album or book, is not good enough I might joke about it (like I do RW), but I won't review it to prevent saying things that I'm not sure they are right.

You can dislike a Picasso, or a Gigli, but what good will a poor review do? We, somehow think that the "social media" aspect of things is important and it isn't ... it's way too temporary and tomorrow no one will know anything about it ... we helped kill it.

I like/love progressive music. AND its history. To make negative comments about it, is only going to hurt and kill it sooner than you or I would want.

Edited by moshkito - May 28 2021 at 09:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 09:57
^ Actually, you do have a lowest rated album review.  It's 4 stars ASH RA TEMPEL Join Inn / Starring Rosi | review

Had it not been for that one, then your lowest rated reviews would all be five stars, which would also be the highest rated.

EDIT:

I wonder if perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my OP.  This is not necessarily about low ratings, this is about the albums with reviews that have had your lowest star ratings.  If all those albums have been given five stars, then feel free to share from those.  Like I said, my two lowest I've given three stars, and I love them even though I can find things to be critical when it comes to the albums (mostly in the case of the Vander tribute album not being as adventurous in re-imagining, or putting a original stamp on the works consistently).

I wish we had the option not to have to assign star ratings.

I have appreciated all of the reviews posted in this topic even when I share a different perspective.  For instance, I really like the dark ambient Kosmische qualities of Irrlicht, but I could easily understand even without reading the review why it wouldn't appeal to many.  I love Wish You Were Here, but I still appreciate that review and how it was expressed.  Various others I really like.

I was so intrigued by the Tangerine Dream review of Three O'CLock High that I listened to a lot of it.  I like the music, but it's really frustrating with many of those that are so short that they start well and then don't go anywhere.  I listen to  a lot of soundtracks, so I'm used to some of that, but that lack of development on so much of it took it to another level.  Enjoyable music for me, which makes the lack of development more frustrating.  I think the experience was made worse worse because I was anticipating that from reading the review.

The "negative" reviews that can somewhat annoy me, or amuse me, are those that seem to claim that no one should like it or be interested in the album instead of explicitly recognising the subjective nature of music appreciation.  Some go for hyperbole and that can be funny, sometimes reviews come across as patronising, arrogant, close-minded, and dismissive of other perspectives.   Terms like garbage are a red flag to me most of the time.  But sorry, now I'm getting negative.

Edited by Logan - May 28 2021 at 10:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

NONE. 

I read a lot, I write a lot, I listen to a lot of music ... and after a while I discovered that I had preferences but no opinions otherwise.

If the film, album or book, is not good enough I might joke about it (like I do RW), but I won't review it to prevent saying things that I'm not sure they are right.

You can dislike a Picasso, or a Gigli, but what good will a poor review do? We, somehow think that the "social media" aspect of things is important and it isn't ... it's way too temporary and tomorrow no one will know anything about it ... we helped kill it.

I like/love progressive music. AND its history. To make negative comments about it, is only going to hurt and kill it sooner than you or I would want.

Once I met a guy who hated Camel just because he approached their music with The Single Factor.

I think this is a good reason for writing low-rated reviews
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 10:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really like the Strawbs' Bursting at the Seams album and gave it a 4-star rating recently, which probably comes as no surprise when I'm often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue
Sean only liked the Strawbs when they were folk rock. The more proggy and symphonic they got, the less he liked them. To each his own. 

My favourite Strawbs album is Prognostic, with the clue being in the title as to how proggy it is. Smile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 10:24
I've written album reviews for another website before I joined Progarchives but I haven't really bothered to share them here precisely because most of them were rather negative and I don't want to get a reputation for being a grouch. It's interesting actually: when I dislike a piece of music I can usually pinpoint the reason and break down the exact aspects that I dislike about it, whereas if everything fits and sounds great I find it hard to put into words what exactly works and why I like it.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 11:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wish we had the option not to have to assign star ratings.

Yes! That would be wonderful. The fact you have to assign star ratings is why I never posted reviews here. I planned to when I first found the site a decade or so ago, but as soon as I realised you had to assign a rating. I baulked. The only reason I have been posting reviews recently is because after I started having my reviews posted at TPA, I had the artists asking me if I could repost them here. At first I was reposting only as I was asked to, but eventually I found it easier just to repost as they are published. I still hate assigning star ratings...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:00
I agree. I don't like stars, too.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:14
I like it when someone I respect posts a 1 or 2 star review as it really gets my attention. Unfortunately, many reviewers here hand out 5 star reviews like candy and that's a turn off. I never read a review by someone who's last 20 ratings are all 5 stars. Why bother. It's fanboy musings.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:16
No stars = no PA top 100 or any ranking whatsoever. Stars are important to me as a baseline to gauge if I'm interested or not to further check out an artist. I usually choose the album with the highest star rating to begin with. 

What do you propose as an alternate to a star rating? Do you believe someone will read all 524 reviews of Close to the Edge to decide if they want to hear it?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:16
When the quick-rating feature came out, I rated a lot of my favourites, which acted as a sort of list making.  It is so out of date that I'd quite like to remove them (but too lazy).  Felt it useful as an indicator of my tastes.  I don't mind the ratings, but I would much rather write reviews without them, made worse by the descriptions of the ratings for me.   And then I have felt compelled to explain why I rated it a certain way (kind of in an absurd tongue-in-cheek way).

I used to read  a great many film reviews, and I inevitably took the sources more seriously and preferred those sources when they did not resort to such ratings.  At the same time, I can see the use of average ratings as a quick reference to finding that which might most likely appeal, and as an easy reference to see what other community members enjoy.

I wouldn't mind being able to rate the albums (just a way of list-making and an indicator of taste) and have a way to keep that separate from the review.  Not a big deal to me, though, as I haven't reviewed much.  I might well have reviewed more if we didn't have to add a rating.

For prog reviews I used to most read the Ground & Sky site reviews, and as I recall, they didn't use ratings.  I could be mistaken.

EDIT: That post above came in as I was preparing this.  I don't wish to see the ratings gone, I would just like to have the option not to rate when reviewing.  Ratings serve a purpose and can be useful to people.  Ideally, I'd like for that to be up to individual choice.  

Edited by Logan - May 28 2021 at 13:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:21

I like it when someone I respect posts a 1 or 2 star review as it really gets my attention. Unfortunately, many reviewers here hand out 5 star reviews like candy and that's a turn off. I never read a review by someone who's last 20 ratings are all 5 stars. Why bother. It's fanboy musings.

You'd best avoid my 25 five-star ratings for Mostly Autumn then. Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:27

Not a problem. I avoid all of your reviews anyway.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:30
Ah, that sounds kind of mean.  I wanted this to be a warm and fluffy topic.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:34

When someone opens a door wide enough to let a bus pass through, sometimes you just have to take advantage of it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:38

When someone opens a door wide enough to let a bus pass through, sometimes you just have to take advantage of it.

LOL  I can't argue with that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:40

I haven't written any reviews for Mostly Autumn's albums. After all, I couldn't possibly improve on Lazland's excellent reviews for my favourite band. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 13:52

I haven't written any reviews for Mostly Autumn's albums. After all, I couldn't possibly improve on Lazland's excellent reviews for my favourite band. Thumbs Up
That makes two of us.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 14:26
I have a few 1 and 2 star reviews but most are for albums that everyone either hates or doesn't know. I seem to be more stingy with stars than many, I have rated a number of albums 3 star that I really quite like, for one reason or another (3 stars means "good but not essential" officially, so for sure these are supposed to be good). Giving a two star rating consequently doesn't mean I hate that album, it can still even have some qualities and I may play it from time to time. One album got 2 stars that sits on an average of 4.09, has many reviews, and mine is the lowest rated. I have heard it numerous times to see whether I change my mind but no chance, except everyone seems to think I should either like it or I'm disqualified as a lover of interesting music. I choose disqualified then.

Here's Low by David Bowie. 

2 stars There is no doubt that Low is a very original and special album. Many things on Low are done in a very unique way, or for the first time. It seems this album has influenced a lot of people, particularly in New Wave and Post Punk, and it has impressed even more; Pitchfork rated this as the best album of the seventies. Certainly Mr Bowie got the timing right for this!

I have made numerous attempts to get into Low and one time after another I failed. The rock oriented first side sounds thin to me, the special sounds and the mix are unorthodox and original but rather annoy than please me. The songs don't have a lot of appeal and are faded out all to quickly and impatiently.The mood is neither heavy nor romantic nor angry, rather emotionally understated and distant, and this doesn't attract me. Bowie was not in his best shape when he did this and one can hear this. It sounds like his attention span was rather short and this is expected of the listener, too, at least on side one.

I like the electronically dominated second side more, some sounds are beautiful and Warszawa is pretty impressive in its atmosphere, although none of these has much compositional substance, it's all about trying out and showcasing this exciting new style. Allusions to electronic Kraut artists are tastefully woven in; Weeping Wall sounds a bit like some of Irmin Schmidt's Soundtracks (most of which came later to be fair) and is rather interesting. Art Decade comes from a similar angle as Warszawa and works fairly well but doesn't have the haunting vocals that Warszawa and Subterraneans offer; the latter would be rather directionless though without the pretty short vocal part. This kind of stuff has been done much better by the proper electronic musicians, except, OK, they don't have Bowie's voice.

All in all side one and side two don't really fit very well together (it seems that nobody denies this but some seem to find this very cool); I can't get much out of side one and side two has its moments but isn't really consistent and mature (Mr Bowie's gotta be innovative for innovation's sake, and leave the place again all too soon).

Side one is a weak 2* and side two a good 3* and because they're not the best match and nobody has rated this low (!) up to now I round it down. Yeah, I see why it's special but still. Essential but not good.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 15:41
I recall reviewing this when i was in a negative mood. 2 stars. http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=879802

Edited by HolyMoly - May 28 2021 at 15:43
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>