Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jimi Hendrix appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix appreciation
    Posted: May 29 2021 at 03:00
I searched and only found some age-old already locked threads on Jimi Hendrix, so here's a new one. If I've overlooked and missed something, feel free to move this post to the right place. 

I'm not one to mourn celebrities, even my favourite musicians or other artists, who pass on what's generally considered too early. Hendrix is different. While I don't mourn his early death (I wasn't even born yet then), I sometimes get frustrated as I feel he really would've had a LOT MORE to give. 

The Ultimate Experience compilation was one of my most listened to CDs when I was 15, around the time it came out. I love the three albums that the Experience made. I don't really care for Band Of Gypsys, though it's been years since I last heard it. Also, for whatever reason, I've never listened to the posthumous stuff much. There must be good things in there, so any suggestions would be welcome. Or is it all just cashing on a legend? 

(More of a side note, as it crossed my mind, but in my teens a friend of mine suggested forming a band with him and another friend of his who I didn't know. We met and talked and naturally discussed what music we were into. I told I liked this band and that and of course Jimi Hendrix, to which the guy replied with a very harsh racist slur. Needless to say, the discussion was over and the band was never formed.) 

While Hendrix is usually most celebrated as a guitarist (and for a reason!), I appreciate him maybe even more as a songwriter, singer and producer. An important part of his genius as a guitar player was the way he treated guitar with studio techniques on Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 04:18
I agree that Hendrix's guitar playing overshadows his skills as a songwriter and arranger. His lyrics and vocal delivery were excellent too. He was really the total package and was the only musician of that era on par with the Beatles in terms of innovation.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 05:11
Re Hiram: I agree with your assessment with Hendrix as a songwriter and producer. I think he was one of the better songwriters in rock, particularly:

Castles Made of Sand
Drifting
Burning the Midnight Oil
1984 (A Merman ...)
Long Hot Summer

Edited by Easy Money - May 29 2021 at 05:16
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 05:43
Bleeding Heart - Live at Glastonbury (sort of) Wink

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 07:10
Jimi was a force of nature. No other description does him justice. I had to laugh at all the deplorably antiquated equipment Hendrix had to work with (check out the mics LOL). One wonders had he lived even into the latter half of the 70s what amazing stuff he could pull off with better studio techniques and digital equipment.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

One wonders had he lived even into the latter half of the 70s what amazing stuff he could pull off with better studio techniques and digital equipment.

Exactly! 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 16:11
One of the best descriptions (paraphrased) I ever heard of Hendrix was:

"A hundred years from now, people will still be trying to figure out just what he did, and how he did it."

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 04:24
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

"A hundred years from now, people will still be trying to figure out just what he did, and how he did it."

and how he did it on an upside-down guitar.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 04:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

and how he did it on an upside-down guitar.

With his teeth and while setting light to it!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 10:04
As Steve said his guitar abilities and presence tended to over shadow the rest ...there are great tracks I love by him but I have never loved any of the studio lps all the way through. Some of his songs on all lp's were a miss for me. I never felt like he was working creatively with the other band members per se to create something that was larger than the sum of the parts...it was always about Hendrix front and center. 
Again...love many of the tracks he did at any rate.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 12:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As Steve said his guitar abilities and presence tended to over shadow the rest ...there are great tracks I love by him but I have never loved any of the studio lps all the way through. Some of his songs on all lp's were a miss for me. I never felt like he was working creatively with the other band members per se to create something that was larger than the sum of the parts...it was always about Hendrix front and center. 
Weak songs on the LPs? Maybe you had the weak acid. Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 14:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think his main problem in the studio was the mix & production, and actually the records got much better for Ladyland and BoG when Jimi started producing himself.   He had an incredible ear despite his rough sound and wrote some astounding music, he just needed a little more time to bring it all together.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I think his main problem in the studio was the mix & production, and actually the records got much better for Ladyland and BoG when Jimi started producing himself.   He had an incredible ear despite his rough sound and wrote some astounding music, he just needed a little more time to bring it all together.

Oddly enough, for as chunky and rough as the sound mixes of the early recordings were, I can't imagine them any other way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 14:52
That Experience debut album is astounding. It's like a greatest hits package.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 15:34
And it was waaay better than Sgt. Pepper's or any other iconic album in that era of 1966 - 1967.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 16:30

And it was waaay better than Sgt. Pepper's or any other iconic album in that era of 1966 - 1967.

And one of the few releases where the American edition is better than the original British version.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 19:12

We need to work on your reading skills...never said weak. Some songs simply didn't blow me away...acid or not.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 01:38
Funny that...Band Of Gypsys to me is like a ‘high water mark’ of Jimi’s showing how far he got with his music. Miles got into Jimi through this album...especially Machine Gun. It was the music that ended up bringing them together.
Sadly we never got to hear where this friendship would lead...but man I would have loved to see those two gents jamming together or perhaps even releasing a full album.

Other than that? I love Jimi. The space Indian of the west. Debut to South Saturn Delta and everything in between
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 07:19

And one of the few releases where the American edition is better than the original British version.

Fortunately the CD remaster fixed that little difficulty.

There are 2 other albums worthy of consideration. Axis: Bold As Love and The Who Sell Out. Great songs and the last as a proper and fun concept album.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 11:49

That Experience debut album is astounding. It's like a greatest hits package.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>