Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ghost (Sweden) for Prog Related?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghost (Sweden) for Prog Related?
    Posted: May 29 2021 at 06:30
What is the case with the Swedish band Ghost (formerly known as Ghost B.C. in the US)? Have they been suggested before? Because they are not on PA!
I was listening to some 'Meliora', which is an absolutely gorgeous album, and I heard a good chunk of proggy moments; to me they qualify for Prog Related but I would like to hear what the other forum users think.

Here's the album in question:
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 07:31
There was a somewhat mixed opinion about their PA credentials last time round (back in 2012): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90468, but the consensus among the collaborators who posted was that they weren't prog, and there is no PA tab on their progfreak page, so no evaluation in Heavy Prog was carried out at that time. Three more albums have been released since then, so I guess they need to be checked out again. I can't imagine them being considered for Prog Related though.

Edit: This is how they are classified on progfreak: "Nordic Heavy Retro Non-Prog Metal/Hard Rock", which is probably a pretty fair summary tbf.

Edited by yam yam - May 29 2021 at 07:34
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 08:09
Reading the definition of Prog Related, bands that have just the odd good and somewhat proggy album don't seem to qualify.
People like Irmin Schmidt should qualify but he is still not there, for (...) sake! Not sure whether any new entries are actually admitted to Prog Related, but if they do that, surely people who have a direct connection to the classic era and truck loads of influence (besides the music quality to qualify) like Schmidt should come in first.

(Sorry for being somewhat off topic but this is a thing that really really bugs me.)

Edited by Lewian - May 29 2021 at 08:10
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 17:30
Artists can not be submitted directly in the submission thread for prog-related. They must be suggested for a sub-genre and voted by a team for prog-related. A collaborator my make a direct submission in the collaborator zone. Inclusions are very rare. There really needs to be more than just a prog sound now and then to get included. The original idea behind prog-related was to include artists from the prog family tree, thus related to other progressive bands/artists. Even that isn't a guaranteed sell (see Irmin Schmidt above).

Edited by Tapfret - May 29 2021 at 17:32
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 04:59
Ghost are awesome and have some really proggy tracks (plus the entire band is conceptual in its essence), but IMO they are, at their core, just a very good eclectic sounding hard-rock band, not enough to merit inclusion on PA. Meliora is the closest they came to a full prog album.
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply