Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90125 vs Discipline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [62.16%]
24 [32.43%]
3 [4.05%]
1 [1.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90125 vs Discipline
    Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:21
Neither band at the time intended to use their old band name. In the case of Yes they started of as Cinema. In the case of King Crimson they started off as Discipline.  Both are different and very much apples and oranges but both are 80's albums and because of the similar history I decided to do a poll on them. 

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:30
Discipline is a master piece and one of the best examples of a prog rock band reinterpreting the genre for a new era.

90125 is one of the better post-classic period Yes albums, but not the best, and inferior to Drama and arguably IMO, also The Ladder and Talk.
Songs cast a light on you
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:31

80s KC is my least favorite KC.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I doubt you will be the only person to vote for 90125 over Discipline but you seem to be the first. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:44

To me Discipline is decent but way too derivative of the Talking Heads.

90125 is totally original and IMHO excellent.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

90125 is totally original and IMHO excellent.

Yep. In retrospect Discipline is rather derivative of remain in light in particular. Not that it's a total copy or anything and it's still good but I seriously doubt it would sound the way it did if it wasn't for RIL. I might just have to change my avatar after this doing this poll. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 30 2021 at 13:59
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:01
KC, by distances too large for humans to fathom. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:04
Discipline. No contest here. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yes, same here, so it's 90125 for me too, and I agree with Silly Puppy that 1980's King Crimson sounds too much like Talking Heads for my tastes. Ouch

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 30 2021 at 14:08
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:09
KC
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:10
I love the run of KC's '80s albums. My favourite of the three is Three of a Perfect Pair. But in this poll Discipline for sure.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:20
I kind of figured Yes would get squashed in this poll but I decided to do it anyway. I think in a general rock website 90125 would probably win even if the respondents had heard both albums.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:51
90210 ;)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:00

I've seen this comment a few times. I can see the connection now, but I wouldn't have made it without people pointing me to it. Actually Talking Heads haven't done anything even remotely close to The Sheltering Sky, Discipline or Indiscipline, the guitar wizardry (and focus on instrumental excellence generally) is on a totally different level etc. You can say the album has some Talking Heads influence in it as many albums have an influence from many things. It is still strikingly original, and overall about as "derivative as "In The Court".
I'm not disputing the originality of 90125, but 1/2 of the album doesn't work very well.

Did I already say for which one I vote? Tongue

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I've seen this comment a few times. I can see the connection now, but I wouldn't have made it without people pointing me to it. Actually Talking Heads haven't done anything even remotely close to The Sheltering Sky, Discipline or Indiscipline, the guitar wizardry (and focus on instrumental excellence generally) is on a totally different level etc. You can say the album has some Talking Heads influence in it as many albums have an influence from many things. It is still strikingly original, and overall about as "derivative as "In The Court".
I'm not disputing the originality of 90125, but 1/2 of the album doesn't work very well.

Belew also played on Talking Heads' Remain in Light, and performed with them, deepening said connection. But I agree with your remarks.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:14
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm not trashing Discipline by any means but it was the first time the KC brand was following instead of leading. I just find the album to be less exciting than many make it out to be. While the guitar antics of Adrian Belew are quite original, the percussive rhythmic drive are Talking Heads new wave all the way.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:12
I was having a hard time choosing so I went with "both equally." Whoever put that as an option is a very smart guy. Wink
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:43
Discipline.
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:44
Is that even a question? It's pop/pop rock vs new wave/prog, of course KC wins. King Crimson set the bar for others prog bands in the 80s and showed that it was possible to stay relevant and creative and not sell out shamesly. Even if it was inspired by others (Talking Heads) it wasn't inspired by Top Ten garbage. I'm sorry for being harsh on Yes here, but as I love this band, their 90125, Big Generator and Union era is unbearable to me. Thankfuly they managed to recover from this severe pop disease later.
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

KC, by distances too large for humans to fathom. 
this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>