Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters~Animals Reissue...Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 06:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

We'll just have to disagree on that.  I don't think anything Gilmour did with Floyd comes close to Blood On the Rooftops. I also don't think Hackett imitates Gilmour. If there's anyone he imitates, it's Fripp.
oh, I didn't mean tone and style, just being melodic. Gilmour is king.

Again, I don't see how he's more melodic than Blood on the Rooftops/Firth of the fifth/Horizons/Ripples.  I could go on.  And this is coming from a guy who has all their classic albums on CD.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 06:16
Perhaps I find Hackett more technical then moving and emotional.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 06:18

I find both Hackett and Latimer highly emotional and on occasion more so than Gilmour.  There is more than one way to express emotions.  That is why I have resisted the canonization of Gilmour in this thread so hard, as if he's the ABCD of guitar.  There's room for everyone.  I will leave it there.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 06:19
Good idea.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 07:40

I find both Hackett and Latimer highly emotional and on occasion more so than Gilmour.  There is more than one way to express emotions.  That is why I have resisted the canonization of Gilmour in this thread so hard, as if he's the ABCD of guitar.  There's room for everyone.  I will leave it there.
I had to duck out on this discussion earlier, it warrants a better response that what I originally gave.
I don't see how saying that Gilmour is more melodic than the others is canonizing him, as he is far less technical than the others. All have their own positive traits. Assigning credit where it's due is not canonization. And going to extreme means to resist doing it seems like what it is. Extreme. 

Edited by SteveG - June 15 2021 at 07:43
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 08:05

I had to duck out on this discussion earlier, it warrants a better response that what I originally gave.
I don't see how saying that Gilmour is more melodic than the others is canonizing him, as he is far less technical than the others. All have their own positive traits. Assigning credit where it's due is not canonization. And going to extreme means to resist doing it seems like what it is. Extreme. 

It is canonization when you exaggerate his strengths.  Like claiming that Hackett is a pale imitation of Gilmour when he doesn't even play the same style of guitar as Gilmour. At that point, it becomes clear that you'd much rather I uphold the conventional wisdom with regard to Gilmour even if no strong arguments are offered as to why others are less melodic than him.  In what way exactly is Firth of the Fifth less melodic than Comfortably Numb?  I don't see it.  They are just different approaches but of all things, Firth doesn't lack for melody.  Again, in what way does Lady Fantasy or Nimrodel lack for melody? That's just a bad argument.  If you had restricted yourself to saying you find Gilmour more emotional than the other guys, I wouldn't argue with that.  Which is exactly what I did when you said you find Hackett more technical, I stated my disagreement and moved on.  But you cannot conflate melody and emotion.  Certainly the ability of Hackett, Latimer or Rothery to both compose and play melodic leads is not lacking compared to Gilmour and in many ways, it exceeds his.  

Edited by rogerthat - June 15 2021 at 08:05
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 08:34
So, we are arguing over subjective options now? However you feel about the others is fine with me. It's your subjective opinion and you're entited to it. The same as I'm entited to mine. Did you forget this in your quest not to canonize Gilmour?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 08:38

So, we are arguing over subjective options now? However you feel about the others is fine with me. It's your subjective opinion and you're entited to it. The same as I'm entited to mine. Did you forget this in your quest not to canonize Gilmour?

If all that you are saying is YOU find Gilmour more melodic, then I have no argument with that. Your original post claimed that Gilmour's melodicism is quite unique among an undefined group of (presumably) rock guitarists.  That does not sound particularly subjective to me.  Had I known otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

Edited by rogerthat - June 15 2021 at 08:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 10:13

If all that you are saying is YOU find Gilmour more melodic, then I have no argument with that. Your original post claimed that Gilmour's melodicism is quite unique among an undefined group of (presumably) rock guitarists.  That does not sound particularly subjective to me.  Had I known otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.
Yes, I find Gilmour to be the most melodic. A subjective opinion. I find the others to be less melodic. Another subjective opinion. What else could they have possibly been, Madan? Statistical facts? And even if I find him unique among other guitarists, that is also subjective, regardless of the fact that he has his own playing style and sound. Which is not subjective.

Edited by SteveG - June 15 2021 at 10:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 10:29
I already said what part of your argument I did not find to be subjective. Look, you wanted an argument and I gave you one. So you can say you're done without pretending like I am dragging you into it. But no matter, you can have the last word if that means the world to you.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 10:31
You're damn right I'll have the last word: Gilmour is God.
Ok, finished.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 10:52
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 11:02
Well, there's always some god that's a little bigger.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 11:47

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ OK, perhaps I was harsh at describing it harsh, and perhaps I'll be needing to hear this new version a few more times. Bit it certainly doesn't sound as beautiful to my ears... adding lots of stuff that wasn't there originally doesn't necessarily make it better. And about Gilmour surely not being able to play many things from Hackett, I myself said so on my post you are quoting. I was mentioning this version of a Gilmour song played by Hackett not to make less of Hackett, but because you were saying how Hackett can do all that Gilmour does and more... and I'm just saying how he couldn't... in a way... sure, he can play all the notes (something Gilmour surely would have trouble, or just couldn't do, with Hackett's songs), but for me, he couldn't make it sound quiet the same, he couldn't achieve the same beauty... or not the same kind of beauty, I mean, once again, he can do so very beautiful stuff of his own. But in the end, it's not a matter of one being better than the other, it's just that they are both able to do different kind of things, and in a different way, and both can achieve beauty to thoroughly enjoy, and both might have trouble playing what the other can. Just as with Dick Parry and Mel Collins... there is also the thing about Mel Collins playing Wright's parts, which in theory I might have liked, but I have trouble finding the melodies I love so much within his playing (actually, perhaps Latimer might have been the right choice to attempt this cover, both for the guitars and for the flutes playing Wright's parts).

The problem as I see it is you took my statement too literally.  Look, Steve Perry singing Dylan would not sound as good to Dylan fans because we all get attached to the sounds of the original.  Again, when I said Hackett can do everything Gilmour can do, I simply meant that he is very well able to play slow and soulful solos for ballads as well as heavier, faster material.  I don't think ANYONE can pass the requirement of a guitarist having to sound exactly like the other and it would also be completely unnecessary.  When these musicians got Hackett on board for Shine On, they wanted him to play it as a Steve Hackett solo, NOT to sound like Gilmour.  I am sure he would play it very differently if he was specifically asked to play it note for note the way Gilmour did.  He would probably also swap his Gibson for a Strat.

Well, it's obvious, isn't it? Hackett couldn't hack it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 15:53
In addition to Andy Latimer, I think Bjørn Riis from Airbag also has a similar tone inspired Gilmour.

I'm kind of wishy-washy on the Gilmour-Hackett comparisons. Each is different and unique in their own way. However, I'm not willing to assume that Gilmour couldn't duplicate Hackett's performances on Genesis. He's never attempted it and until he does (which he likely never will), I can't fully make that leap. Barring our inability to travel to alternate universes, I do admit that it would be interesting to see how our favorite musicians would have performed if they were in different bands.

As for tapping, just to be a nit-picker, Gilmour does precisely one tap on the On the Turning Away guitar solo. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 00:57
Gee, if you had asked me I would have said that Andy Latimer is hands down more melodic than the other two. And comparing Gilmour to Hackett is impossible if you do it song by song. You could only compare the two by guitar technique. One is classically trained while the other is Blues trained. Gilmour isn't the sort of guitarist who would want to do Blood on the Rooftops while Hackett couldn't do Echoes (he could maybe do the Latimer Echoes but not the Gilmour Echoes). 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 05:20
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Gee, if you had asked me I would have said that Andy Latimer is hands down more melodic than the other two. And comparing Gilmour to Hackett is impossible if you do it song by song. You could only compare the two by guitar technique. One is classically trained while the other is Blues trained. Gilmour isn't the sort of guitarist who would want to do Blood on the Rooftops while Hackett couldn't do Echoes (he could maybe do the Latimer Echoes but not the Gilmour Echoes). 
Saying one is more melodic than the other is not saying that the others are unmelodic. They wouldn't be prog heroes and great guitarists if that was the case. Again, I find Latimer to be more technical than Gilmour but Gilmour to have more soul in his playing. But ultimately, this is splitting hairs. As far as comparing Gilmour to Hackett, that's like comparing apples to oranges.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 23:13
Same then with emotion. Like melody how do you measure level of emotion? Completely subjective.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 23:23

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ OK, perhaps I was harsh at describing it harsh, and perhaps I'll be needing to hear this new version a few more times. Bit it certainly doesn't sound as beautiful to my ears... adding lots of stuff that wasn't there originally doesn't necessarily make it better. And about Gilmour surely not being able to play many things from Hackett, I myself said so on my post you are quoting. I was mentioning this version of a Gilmour song played by Hackett not to make less of Hackett, but because you were saying how Hackett can do all that Gilmour does and more... and I'm just saying how he couldn't... in a way... sure, he can play all the notes (something Gilmour surely would have trouble, or just couldn't do, with Hackett's songs), but for me, he couldn't make it sound quiet the same, he couldn't achieve the same beauty... or not the same kind of beauty, I mean, once again, he can do so very beautiful stuff of his own. But in the end, it's not a matter of one being better than the other, it's just that they are both able to do different kind of things, and in a different way, and both can achieve beauty to thoroughly enjoy, and both might have trouble playing what the other can. Just as with Dick Parry and Mel Collins... there is also the thing about Mel Collins playing Wright's parts, which in theory I might have liked, but I have trouble finding the melodies I love so much within his playing (actually, perhaps Latimer might have been the right choice to attempt this cover, both for the guitars and for the flutes playing Wright's parts).

The problem as I see it is you took my statement too literally.  Look, Steve Perry singing Dylan would not sound as good to Dylan fans because we all get attached to the sounds of the original.  Again, when I said Hackett can do everything Gilmour can do, I simply meant that he is very well able to play slow and soulful solos for ballads as well as heavier, faster material.  I don't think ANYONE can pass the requirement of a guitarist having to sound exactly like the other and it would also be completely unnecessary.  When these musicians got Hackett on board for Shine On, they wanted him to play it as a Steve Hackett solo, NOT to sound like Gilmour.  I am sure he would play it very differently if he was specifically asked to play it note for note the way Gilmour did.  He would probably also swap his Gibson for a Strat.

Anyone can sing Bob Dylan songs better than Dylan... well, of course, not quiet so, and it depends on taste. But I remember not really knowing much of Dylan, but suddenly finding that one, and then another, and so on, songs that I liked were actually Dylan's originals... then I would go and want to hear those originals, and they were just not nearly as good. I got the impression that he wrote great songs, but needed someone else to play them in order to sound good. Now I have looked for a bit more from Dylan, and have come to apreciate some of his songs as he played them originally... and in great part it depends on the songs itself, and the particular performance. However, back with Gilmour, yeah, of course I understand Hackett can play slow and melodious too, I just went with the particular comparison because you mentioned Hackett, and I had just heard this particular version in which I myself just couldn't find the same beauty as with Gilmour's original... and yeah, I'm sure Hackett's take on the song is actually technically more difficult, yet I still enjoy better the way Gilmour plays it. You then mention Blood on the Rooftops... and that one I just can't get into, yeah sure, Gilmour might not be able to play it right, but in that particular case I wouldn't care. And there are still so many other Hackett songs that I love that I'm sure Gilmour can't play right. I will just enjoy both at what I love from them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 05:15
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Same then with emotion. Like melody how do you measure level of emotion? Completely subjective.
Absolutely. And Gilmour is more blues based, so to me, that makes the music more emotional. Others may take that style of playing as more stereotypical, but it's hard to deny the power of Gilmour's leads in songs like "Time" and "Comfortably Numb". The songs would not be as great without them. At least for most people I know.

Edited by SteveG - June 17 2021 at 05:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>