Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Listeners per month on Spotify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 07:03
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Since I don't use Spotify can't check myself.  But out of curiosity which artist (any artist not prog) gets the absolute highest number of hits?  Curious about what the world listens to the most nowadays.

I'm going to guess at Taylor Swift....

You are probably right.  Or maybe Ed Sheeran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 07:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Growing up I never heard or read about VdGG or GG or Camel....and I read quite a lot of music mags back in the day. I never heard of them till probably the late 90's.

Hi,

In 1970, I saw the album "H to He ... " and thought that it was a very interesting cover. At that time I was into ELP, and some English bands that took music a lot more seriously than simple top ten.

By 1973 after I had met Guy Guden with his iconic tastes in music, we ended up getting a bunch of things that were different and very interesting, from Can, Amon Duul 2, Van der Graff Generator and many others ... while also including, already, by that time the list of bands that HIPGNOSIS had listed in their "ingredients for breakfast" on an inner sleeve. Later, I bought Camel (Mirage) because of the cover and also got Caravan because we had heard some of it on a Hawkwind/Man show (1999 tour in LA), and one piece stood out, but the rest of the album was even better (For Girls Who ... ).

Spotify maybe good for TODAY in that at least some of the stuff is listed, but sadly their list of suggestions is always towards the numbers so that their service appears to be better and more valuable and important. I am not convinced that they care enough about the music, otherwise they would make a star or two out of the new folks they have listed that rarely get an ear unless they are mentioned here, for example.

IF, you are curious about ALL music, it will come to you. Or you will come to it. There is a sort of invisible synchronicity in how that works, but for me it has always happened. If I was meant to hear this or that, I did! Otherwise, very rarely, there is an interest for me, specially when a "service" gives me suggestions, the biggest turn off for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:20

Since I don't use Spotify can't check myself.  But out of curiosity which artist (any artist not prog) gets the absolute highest number of hits?  Curious about what the world listens to the most nowadays.

You don't need an account to do a search. I don't have an account and I was able to search. Just google "search spotify." 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:23
I just added a few more on my list from the previous page which are Anglagard, Quidam, Sagrado Caracao Da Terra, SBB, White Willow, Osanna, Magic Pie, Wobbler, Beardfish, Jordsjo, Anekdoten and Moon Safari. Surprisingly Anglagard has the fewest monthly listeners out of those aside from Quidam and White Willow. 

Progaardvark's list is good too but somehow he forgot the Who(an oversight I'm sure unless he just doesn't like Roger and Pete ;) ) who have 8,686,978.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 08 2021 at 12:21
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:09
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Progaardvark's list is good too but somehow he forgot the Who(an oversight I'm sure unless he just doesn't like Roger and Pete ;) ) who have 8,686,978.

It's definitely an oversight. I wasn't trying to be complete. Sorry about that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Spotify maybe good for TODAY in that at least some of the stuff is listed, but sadly their list of suggestions is always towards the numbers so that their service appears to be better and more valuable and important. I am not convinced that they care enough about the music, otherwise they would make a star or two out of the new folks they have listed that rarely get an ear unless they are mentioned here, for example.

I'm not sure if you're using the same Spotify website I'm using, but if you go to the VDGG page on Spotify, there is a section called "Fans also like." If you click on SEE ALL to the right, It lists these bands:

Caravan, Gentle Giant, Gryphon, Curved Air, Renaissance, Peter Hammill, Hatfield & The North, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Camel, Nektar, U.K., The Nice, Focus, Eloy, Greenslade, Aprodite's Child, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Gong, and Anthony Phillips.

That's clearly the results of a half-decent algorithm and not "always towards the numbers."

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 17:07
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I'm not sure if you're using the same Spotify website I'm using, but if you go to the VDGG page on Spotify, there is a section called "Fans also like." If you click on SEE ALL to the right, It lists these bands:

Caravan, Gentle Giant, Gryphon, Curved Air, Renaissance, Peter Hammill, Hatfield & The North, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Camel, Nektar, U.K., The Nice, Focus, Eloy, Greenslade, Aprodite's Child, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Gong, and Anthony Phillips.

That's clearly the results of a half-decent algorithm and not "always towards the numbers."

Now, I feel dumb because you mentioned some bands that I forgot. Lol. I actually was trying to be complete (well to some degree). You can't have everyone. I remember seeing a guy wearing a t shirt that said "too many books too little time." Well, you could say too many  prog bands too little time also. ;)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 20:29

Now, I feel dumb because you mentioned some bands that I forgot. Lol. I actually was trying to be complete (well to some degree). You can't have everyone. I remember seeing a guy wearing a t shirt that said "too many books too little time." Well, you could say too many  prog bands too little time also. ;)

Hi,

I don't think you need to.

The listing is about 40 to 50 years worth of music ... and trying to catch all of it in one week, or month isn't going to happen.

The only issue is how one listens, and to what ... we the old foggies learned of all of them by "feel" and "no news anywhere", and a lot of them by "accident", and it was that far out feeling of discovery that really helped us enjoy something that eventually became known as "progressive", although at the time we did not think of it as that.

Seeing a list that big, today, is downright scary and I'm not sure that anyone can make a good enough decision as to what to listen to, specially when some of those have huge amounts of music. The only detail I might consider would be to hear the bands that are NOT from America and England first, and give them a good listen, because they are the ones that made sure that "progressive" and then "prog" lived on a lot more than the American and English contingent, many of which went on to do just pop music and more singles and forgot their roots and source. Seeing a PFM and a BANCO still doing their thing today is truly far out, instead of a Genesis revival to play the "hits" as an example. The newer material stands out just as good as the earlier material!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 21:11

Hi,

I don't think you need to.

The listing is about 40 to 50 years worth of music ... and trying to catch all of it in one week, or month isn't going to happen.

The only issue is how one listens, and to what ... we the old foggies learned of all of them by "feel" and "no news anywhere", and a lot of them by "accident", and it was that far out feeling of discovery that really helped us enjoy something that eventually became known as "progressive", although at the time we did not think of it as that.

Seeing a list that big, today, is downright scary and I'm not sure that anyone can make a good enough decision as to what to listen to, specially when some of those have huge amounts of music. The only detail I might consider would be to hear the bands that are NOT from America and England first, and give them a good listen, because they are the ones that made sure that "progressive" and then "prog" lived on a lot more than the American and English contingent, many of which went on to do just pop music and more singles and forgot their roots and source. Seeing a PFM and a BANCO still doing their thing today is truly far out, instead of a Genesis revival to play the "hits" as an example. The newer material stands out just as good as the earlier material!

I'm not sure what list you are referring to but my list covers both older and newer bands and not just the ones everyone knows. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 00:32

I just added a few more on my list from the previous page which are Anglagard, Quidam, Sagrado Caracao Da Terra, SBB, White Willow, Osanna, Magic Pie, Wobbler, Beardfish, Jordsjo, Anekdoten and Moon Safari. Surprisingly Anglagard has the fewest monthly listeners out of those aside from Quidam and White Willow. 

Not surprising about Anglagård, since they only have one live album on Spotify. At least, that's how it is in the States.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 00:43
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

[QUOTE=AFlowerKingCrimson]
Not surprising about Anglagård, since they only have one live album on Spotify. At least, that's how it is in the States.

Geographic restrictions suck. There are a lot of NZ bands and artists that I cannot listen to on any platform because they are unavailable to listen to in the UK.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 01:52

Google gives various answers, one is Justin Bieber, one is Bad Bunny (no, me neither).
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 03:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Google gives various answers, one is Justin Bieber, one is Bad Bunny (no, me neither).

Thanks just looked.  Wiki has a page for this:

Shows the top 20 listeners and followers.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 03:51

Rubbish, the lot of them....SleepyLOL
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:08

Yep!  Tongue  Shows you how old I am never heard of half of them lol.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:45

Yep!  Tongue  Shows you how old I am never heard of half of them lol.

Sheeran has some talent, not sure about the rest....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12