Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

open eyes the boy phoenix for avant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: open eyes the boy phoenix for avant
    Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:39
https://openeyesmusicnet.wordpress.com/open-eyes-the-boy-phoenix/

Here's my bio:
OPEN EYES THE BOY PHOENIX is a project led by the composer Logan Kane. Influences include jazz, and classical music.

Why this band must be listed in www.progarchives.com :

The music that OPEN EYES THE BOY PHOENIX has to offer has a very obvious RIO AvantProg flavor to it. It's angular, sometimes dissonant, uses odd time signatures and unusual counterpoints.

Edited by Hrychu - June 03 2021 at 14:41
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 17:09
will try later. thanks.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 04:10
Any other samples?
It's difficult for us to accept him via his YouTube video sample you provided above.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 05:17
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Any other samples?
It's difficult for us to accept him via his YouTube video sample you provided above.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5tOmdRHBBXCkI9eRZSX4X6
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 06:18
Also on bandcamp for those who can't (or don't) use spotify, or who would maybe like to purchase the album: https://fantasticvoyagetapes.bandcamp.com/album/open-eyes-the-boy-phoenix-lp.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 00:59
On chart. Listening
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 02:28
Via his whole album I can only hear avantgarde-tinged electropop. Unhappy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 02:50
This band definitely sound prog to me, but probably won’t be accepted into PA, because they don’t fit neatly into any of the PA pigeonholes.

They make me think of a mix of the modern RIO sound (say Black Country, New Road and Lost Crowns), ‘80s King Crimson, and ‘70s Split Enz, all put into an electric blender, so that what comes out is a electric smoothie that’s a joy to listen to. There’s distinct math rock vibes (Aqua Mission, for example, reminds me a lot of Alarmist and their blend of jazz and math rock), and jazz licks.

Basically, they’re a bit poppy, which would normally mean Crossover here - but they’re too wacky for Crossover.

They’re progressive electronic, but on PA they don’t come close to the Berlin school, which seems to be a big barrier to overcome.

They’re math rock, but on PA - despite there being a supposedly Post Rock / Math Rock genre - math rock seems to be accepted only if there is a post rock element, which is bizarre, but then so is a lot of how PA works. So, despite obvious math rock tropes, without the post, this is unlikely to pass there, either.

They’re avant, but because they are poppy, that won’t matter here. I hear a heck of a lot RIO, and “Forget the Rest” pretty much sounds like RIO as played by newer bands like Lost Crowns, except in an electronic haze.

Good luck to this band, but I expect to see them either outrightly rejected immediately, or subject to being ping ponged between genre teams until they are rejected.

But thanks for bringing this band to my attention. I will definitely add this album to my prog collection. Thankfully, I don’t need PA to tell me what is or is not prog. 😄

Post Reply Post Reply