Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good albums with one bad song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 18:23
Glad I'm not the only one who loves "Moonchild". I find the instrumental passage very poetic. And unique too. Don't know what people have against it, I'd say it's the most progressive part of the whole album.

I also love "The Waiting Room" for the matter. Contains a really interesting soundscape.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:10
The Waiting Room.....the Spooky Jam.....essential to the LP.  Now, Whodunnit? off Abacab - yikes!

Edited by Intruder - July 08 2021 at 20:10
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:38
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who loves "Moonchild". I find the instrumental passage very poetic. And unique too. Don't know what people have against it, I'd say it's the most progressive part of the whole album.

I also love "The Waiting Room" for the matter. Contains a really interesting soundscape.

I admit I struggle with "moonchild" but I've learned to just see it as something to just kind of tune out to or relax to rather than be actively angry with it. I admit it's possible there is some kind of purpose or point to it but I haven't figured out what it is yet. I also don't hate it though. The first two minutes are fine and even for a bit after that but I think if it was a bit more composed and went into a different direction it could have been more interesting. 

As for who dunnit, the only way for me to kind of enjoy it is to view it as a joke song and not take it too seriously. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 08 2021 at 20:39
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 22:09
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Wishbone Ash - Pilgrimage: Where Were You Tomorrow..

Definitely. I think they must have run out of songs to put on their sophomore album and thought, hey, let's throw in this long live recorded track to fill up side 2!

Funnily enough at around that time they did have a track that would have been ideal and it was called "Roads Of Day To Day", but it didn't see the light of day until it was released on CD in 2007 on the album "First Light" All tracks from this album were taken from a ~1970 acetate pressing and recorded prior to WA getting a record deal.

I know that I am in the minority, but I think "Blowin' Free" is out of place on Argus. It has always felt like a southern US rock tune and completely against the Tolkien feel of all the other tracks. I skip it every time I listen to Argus.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 03:33
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Wishbone Ash - Pilgrimage: Where Were You Tomorrow..

Definitely. I think they must have run out of songs to put on their sophomore album and thought, hey, let's throw in this long live recorded track to fill up side 2!

Funnily enough at around that time they did have a track that would have been ideal and it was called "Roads Of Day To Day", but it didn't see the light of day until it was released on CD in 2007 on the album "First Light" All tracks from this album were taken from a ~1970 acetate pressing and recorded prior to WA getting a record deal.

I know that I am in the minority, but I think "Blowin' Free" is out of place on Argus. It has always felt like a southern US rock tune and completely against the Tolkien feel of all the other tracks. I skip it every time I listen to Argus.

My alternative Pilgrimage:

Side 1

Vas Dis
Alone (the full version with vocals)
Jailbait
Lullaby

Side 2

The Pilgrim
Valediction
Roads of Day To Day
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:34
Ok, this is quite tricky...

Rush - Signals (New World Man)
Rush - A Farewell to Kings (Cinderella Man)
XTC - Oranges & Lemons (Pink thing)
Genesis - SEBTP (Battle of Epping Forest)
VDGG - Pawn Hearts (A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers)
Yes - Close to the Edge (Siberean Khatru)
Yes - Relayer (Sound Chaser)
Kate Bush - The Dreaming (The Dreaming)
Pink Floyd - Meddle (Seamus)
Queen - A Night at the Opera (Good Company)
Queen - Queen II (The Loser in the End)
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (Rainbow Eyes)
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn (For my Lady)

A few controversial choices there I imagine..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:58
Going for the One - Parallels
Breathless - Rainbows End
The Light - The Water
Chic Coreas Return to Forever - What Game Shall We Play Today?
Masque - It Takes a Woman’s Love
Virus - Canary Yellow
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 08:18
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Breathless - Rainbows End

I'd pick Down On The Farm myself, I quite like Rainbow's End.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 13:01
The Beatles - White Album "Obla di Obla da" hate with passion that song, totally out of place
Dream Theater - Images & words: "Surrounded"
Dream Theater - Awake: "Lie"
Rush - Signals: "Digital Man"
Radiohead - Ok Computer: "Fitter Happier"
Genesis - SEBTP: "Battle Of Epping Forest"
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats: "Willy The Pimp"
Bjork - Homogenic: "Pluto"
King Crimson - ITCOCK: "Moonchild"

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 14:59
I'm getting old, and only sit here thinking of all your selected tunes I disagree with you about - and not remembering anything I dislike. But maybe, just maybe ending their concept album "Dimension Hatröss" with a cover of "The Batman Theme" wasn't Voivod's best ever idea. And ok, "Twisted" (another goofy, "fun" cover) at the end of Joni's "Court and Spark" is no highlight imo. But I'm sure it's great for people who are in to that kind of stuff.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 15:16
The Beatles - White Album "Obla di Obla da" hate with passion that song, totally out of place

I have to admit I really don't get all the hate I've been hearing lately for Obla Di Obla Da. No, it's not one of the Beatles best songs but I don't think it ruins the album and I don't think it's the weakest track on the white album either. As for out of place I would think that would be "revolution 9."
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 17:15
Supertramp - Even In The Quietest Moments... - Give A Little Bit
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus - Jeremy Bender
Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three... - Follow You Follow Me
Gentle Giant - Octopus - Knots
Angra - Holy Land - Lullaby For Lucifer
The Pineapple Thief - Your Widerness - Dawn Again
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 02:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Ok, this is quite tricky...

VDGG - Pawn Hearts (A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers)

A few controversial choices there I imagine..

I'm mildly confused. Partly how APOLK could be someone's least favorite from that album (though that's entirely subjective I admit), but moreso how one can say Pawn Hearts is a good album and simultaneously call half of it bad.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 08:48
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Going for the One - Parallels

Really? Cry
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2021 at 22:38
I think it's a bit rich to knock an album over one supposedly bad song. For instance SEBTP if you don't like More Fool Me. It's over 50 minutes of music. Take it out then. Problem solved. It's still a 10/10 album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 01:54
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I'm talking only about albums that would be nearly flawless were it not for one bad song. Let's exclude albums with major issues throughout. I'm limiting myself to only albums that are found on this site, and I'm not including "bonus tracks" or "alternate takes" that appear on re-issues. Here's my list:

Rush: Moving Pictures - Offending song = "Witch Hunt"
Rush: Hold your Fire - Offending song = "Turn the Page"
Steve Hackett: Spectral Mornings - Offending song = "The Ballad of the Decomposing Man"
Steve Hackett: To Watch the Storms - Offending song = "The Devil is an Englishman"
Supertramp: Even in the Quietest Moments - Offending song = "Babaji"
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Angel Station - Offending song - "Resurrection"
Pink Floyd: The Division Bell - Offending song = "Lost for Words"
ELP: Brain Salad Surgery - Offending song = "Benny the Bouncer"
Barclay James Harvest: Ring of Changes - Offending song = "Just a Day Away"
Barclay James Harvest: Welcome to the Show - Offending song = "Psychedelic Child"
Marillion: Seasons End - Offending song = "After Me"
Led Zeppelin: In Through the Out Door - Offending song = "Hot Dog"
Queen: News of the World - Offending song = "Get Down Make Love"
Saga: The Security of Illusion - Offending song = "Alone Again Tonight"
Saga: Wildest Dreams - Offending song = "Don't Put Out the Fire"
Genesis: The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Offending song = "The Waiting Room"
Asia: Phoenix - Offending song = "I Will Remember You"

So what are yours?  

Oh I disagree with so much of this! That's the internet I suppose. I will ask one question though... concerning Hold Your Fire, how is it you don't like Turn The Page but like Tai Shan and High Water? The vast majority of Rush fans I've encountered have quite the opposite opinion!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 01:56
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I think it's a bit rich to knock an album over one supposedly bad song. For instance SEBTP if you don't like More Fool Me. It's over 50 minutes of music. Take it out then. Problem solved. It's still a 10/10 album.

More Fool Me would be easy enough to skip if it was the problem track. However The Battle Of Epping Forest has always stuck me as the real missing of the mark on that record, and really in the entire classic Genesis run.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 02:13
Let's see if I can come up with any answers of my own:

Rush - Hold Your Fire: High Water (I find Tai Shan tame and inoffensive)
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Genesis - Invisible Touch: The Brazilian
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon: The Devil's Triangle (I mean compared to all their other classic material... come on)
Pink Floyd - Meddle: Seamus
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta: Behind My Camel
Yes - Fragile - 5 per cent for nothing
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 02:16
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

GNR- Use Your Illusion 2 - My World . One of the worst songs ever.

Thanks to you I've just remembered that wretched abomination exists...*shudders*

You're very correct here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 02:21
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

These are the first I can think of:

The Police - Synchronicity: "Mother"
The Clash - Sandinista: "If Music Could Talk"
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun: "Olsen Olsen"
Pink Floyd - Piper: "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk"
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds: "The Gold It's In the..."
Radiohead - The Bends: "Black Star"
The Beatles - The Beatles: "Obla di Obla da"
Genesis - Lamb: "The Colony of Slippermen"
The Who - By Numbers: "Squeeze Box"
The Who - Who Are You: "Had Enough"
Queen - A Day At the Races: "Drowse"

That's actually one of my favorite songs on that album. To me the only song even approaching being weak on that is My Iron Lung. I know most will disagree and it's all subjective, but yeah I like Black Star a lot.

Oo I love them both. For me the weakest link on The Bends is probably... Sulk, I guess? It's a really great record through and through. Not one I would ever think of for a thread like this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>