Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vote Interactive Poll: Emotional songs (fe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Polling Place for Emotional Songs (Female)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.35%]
4 [5.41%]
2 [2.70%]
6 [8.11%]
3 [4.05%]
6 [8.11%]
3 [4.05%]
3 [4.05%]
1 [1.35%]
1 [1.35%]
5 [6.76%]
6 [8.11%]
3 [4.05%]
2 [2.70%]
1 [1.35%]
1 [1.35%]
1 [1.35%]
4 [5.41%]
1 [1.35%]
2 [2.70%]
2 [2.70%]
2 [2.70%]
1 [1.35%]
10 [13.51%]
3 [4.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 01:47
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Now off to the first listens. And a warm welcome to all the new faces Smile

To those who didn't see my first post in the original thread: You can find a lyric translation of Katinka - "Idioter" here: http://musixmatch.com/lyrics/Katinka-3/Idioter/translation/english

Thank you, Anders! One of various things that I find interesting about this format is that the suggested songs which have not been nominated are included in a second playlist. I joined last minute, but next time I will post more than just one song, provided that I do have enough material that would meet the criteria of course. Smile

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 06:40
First batch of songs.

Sade - "Is It a Crime" (Raff)
This one is in the more jazzy department. It's what I like to call "conservatory music", because essentially this is the type of music they used to favour at the conservatories for so-called "rhythmical music" (rhythmical as opposed to classical music) in Denmark. 'Rhythmical music' basically means rock, pop and jazz, but there was a strong bias towards jazz at the conservatories. Today it may be different. While I do like a lot of jazz - mostly from the 1960's though - I can not really relate to stuff like this, but I acknowledge its qualities (it's not jazz proper or course, just jazzy).

Charming Hostess - "Laws of Physics" (TCat)
There's a very interesting arrangement here, especially with the bass line. It's very original, also with the vocal arrangements. Quite cacophonic too at times. The vocals become a bit too much at times, but on the other hand it adds to the eccentricity. Contender.

Edited by The Anders - June 06 2021 at 09:12
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 07:20
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I just wanted to point out that the violin (which I think someone else also commented on earlier) is actually a Jouhikko, a Finnish/Karelian traditional instrument. It's played on this track by its contemporary master Pekko Käppi
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 07:51
^ Ah ok, thanks a lot.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 07:54
Since I already listened to and commented on all the suggestions in the main poll thread, I came rather quickly to make up my mind after listening to the playlist of the nominated songs. I really liked everything, except one song, so this was once again a great round of music! So, here's my verdict...

In the "too famous to vote for" department, three outstanding artists and songs: Sinéad O'Connor, Janis Ian and Billie Holiday - they are top of the bill.

In the "really great and intriguing music but not necessarily top in the "emotional" department" department, and artists that I would like to explore further: Charming Hostess (really great discovery!), Lau Nau, Helium Horse Fly and Broadcast.

Now to the top emotional songs in this poll, I came to a top six, with in the second tier: Offa Rex, Dida Dragan, and Cara Dillon... But my final votes go to (in no particular order):
- Katinka - "Idioter"
- Ginevra di Marco - "Vedrai Vedrai"
- Silvia Pérez Cruz - "Mañana"
I found these the most moving songs and performances, next to the "too famous to vote for" songs.

Thanks to Lorenzo and all participants for this wonderful sentimental journey (and this great poll series!) and to Nickie for jumping in after Lorenzo's mishap!

Edited by suitkees - June 06 2021 at 08:08

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 11:44
After much, much agonizing, here we go with my votes (the winners are accompanied by my initial take):

1.        Ronstein:  Right in my wheelhouse and she crushed this.  Plus I was inspired to listen to all of her music on bandcamp and purchased 2 of them.  How I missed her is beyond me.  Cara Dillon “The Lark in the Clear Air”  Will love to hear this, as I don’t know her and I play this song every time I play the harp, as one of my warmup pieces.  😊  Sweet, sweet Irish singer, doing this gorgeous Irish tune, accompanied by piano and very delicate orchestration. 

2.       Lewian:   Battled with my #1 for that spot but had to go with a genre close to my heart.  Broadcast “You Can Fall”  Discordant sounds at the start, bells and whongs, clangs.  A steady rhythm builds and VERY EERIE keyboard comes in, dang, I love that.  Wow, I can’t even describe what happens when the vocals come in, and the music underpins it.  Her harmonies with herself are amazing.  Very dark, menacing piece, but one I find truly the most striking so far.  Chills here, too.  Good ones. 

Tied for #3, but went with The Anders for the intensity.

3.  The Anders:  The chills did it.  Katinka “Idioter”  This has a dark feel that I quite like, an evocative voice and minimal accompaniment behind her.  It is very moving, I agree.  There is a feeling of menace, as indeed is also depicted in the video with the young girl.  The singer is very expert at creating a sound of anguish and desperation.    Thumbs up for this one. 

Mila-13:  I will also be looking up more by her, as I love this kind of music and the instrumentation, looks like there's a lot on YT I can scope out.  Sílvia Pérez Cruz “Mañana” Oh, how very pretty.  Simple with strings and a lilting, expressive voice.  Love the bit of wistfulness in her voice, will look up the translation after I listen through once first.  There is a swell near the end, vocally for just a perfect moment.  The ends, as it began, with simplicity and elegance.  And, yes, there was wistfulness, reading the translation.  Thank you for bringing this here. I also enjoyed the Russian artists....aside from the music, thought the little gloves with hearts on them in the audience was really sweet....different culture.

Honourable Mentions:

Raff:  Sade “Is It A Crime” 

MortSahlFan: Fairuz  “Al Bosta”   All of your selections were in my "second listen," ranking.

George:  His Choice: Bent Knee “Being Human”  All of your selections were also in my "second listen," ranking.

Kees:  Henryk Gorecki “Symphony n° 3: Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, 2nd movement, with Zofia Kilanowicz (Soprano)”  

Hiram:  Lau Nau “Juokse sinä humma”   All of your selections were also in my "second listen," ranking.

Mike: Charming Hostess  “Laws of Physics”    All of your selections were also in my "second listen," ranking

tigerfeet:  Anneli Drecker “Morning Glory” 

Dark Ness:  Cassandra Wilson “You Don’t Know What Love Is “ Both of your selections were also in my "second listen," ranking

If You'd Chosen Differently:

Lorenzo:  Genivra, “Vedrai Vedrai” 

Progishness:  Doris Day “Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps” 

Cristi:  Atlantis “Maybe It’s Useless” 

The remainder of the entries were mostly not considered because of my familiarity with them.  There were quite a few that are perfect illustrations of this category!  

Thank you all for putting up with me being the last minute stand-in for Lorenzo, may he be back amongst us very soon!  Also special thanks to George, as always for the playlists!  

Edited by Snicolette - June 06 2021 at 12:12
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 23:47
1. Broadcast - You Can Fall 
2. Katinka - Idioter 
3. Edda Dell'Orso / Ennio Morricone - Cosa avete fatto a Solange

Honourable mentions to Helium Horse Fly and Roberta Flack, both if which I'm going to investigate further. 

Edited by Hiram - June 06 2021 at 23:47
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 03:39
1. Ennio Morricone ft. Edda dell'Orso - Cosa Avete Fatto a Solange (just a wonderful song; I will never stop loving major 7th chords)
2. Dida Dragan - Sa nu Lovim Nicicînd un Porumbel (some lovely chord progressions and a really powerful catchy chorus)
3. Bent Knee - Being Human (I'm not too familiar with Bent Knee but I'll definitely check up on them more because there's a lot of cool rhythmic and harmonic things going on in this song; I'm still only putting it at number three because aside from the airy opening it doesn't really hit me on a wistful/melancholic level like the other songs do)
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 04:44
My votes:

Katinka - Idioter
Lau Nau - Juokse sinä humma
Cassandra Wilson - You Don't Know What Love Is
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 07:36

I really enjoyed listening to this great musical variety of songs! Among them some true gems, new discoveries as well as unforgettable classics. It was a tough choice but these are the the songs that will finally get my vote.

Emotions, they come  in various forms, levels and shades . .

Helium Horse Fly - Adrift

is rather on the dark side of the spectrum, a powerful expression of a spiritual condition, not necessarily connected with a specific event or person. A ship adrift in the middle of the ocean. - A musical masterpiece!

Fairuz – Al Bosta

A nostalgic memory of a beautiful relationship that arouse special feelings such as enthusiasm, freedom and lightness. - I have always associated this Lebanese diva with more traditional oriental music. This recording brings funk, disco and jazz influences into the mix, though. What a lovely surprise!

Ginevra di Marco - Vedrai vedrai

A wondeful homage to a legend of the classic canzone italiana, Luigi Tenco. Simply stunning!

A big thank you goes out to Lorenzo and Nickie for hosting and to Logan without whom I'd nevebeen able to participate in this beautiful musical journey! Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and for the music! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 07 2021 at 08:53
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 08:13
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Mila-13:  I will also be looking up more by her, as I love this kind of music and the instrumentation, looks like there's a lot on YT I can scope out.  Sílvia Pérez Cruz “Mañana” Oh, how very pretty.  Simple with strings and a lilting, expressive voice.  Love the bit of wistfulness in her voice, will look up the translation after I listen through once first.  There is a swell near the end, vocally for just a perfect moment.  The ends, as it began, with simplicity and elegance.  And, yes, there was wistfulness, reading the translation.  Thank you for bringing this here. I also enjoyed the Russian artists....aside from the music, thought the little gloves with hearts on them in the audience was really sweet....different culture.

Thank you very much for your friendly comment! I'm glad that you liked my choice. I wish I had the language skills to formulate my thoughts more accurately. But I will try my best. Smile

Sadly we have only three votes. I enjoyed this beautiful tune of yours. What a fantastic collaboration this is, Olivia Chaney together with The Decemberists! I read that the band comes from Portland. Have you already attended one of their concerts? I noticed in your profile that you are from OR. Does that stand for Oregon?

As for the audience in the Russian concert video, well those two ladies have done a lot for the empowerment of women in Russia. Their career spans 25 year and therefore they have an a bit older audience. However they still manage to vow also a younger audience.

Edited by Mila-13 - June 07 2021 at 11:17
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 08:22
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Now to the top emotional songs in this poll, I came to a top six, with in the second tier: Offa Rex, Dida Dragan, and Cara Dillon... But my final votes go to (in no particular order):
- Katinka - "Idioter"
- Ginevra di Marco - "Vedrai Vedrai"
- Silvia Pérez Cruz - "Mañana"
I found these the most moving songs and performances, next to the "too famous to vote for" songs.

I'm glad that you liked "Mañana". Thank you very much! Smile

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 10:54
Listened a  couple of times and I have enjoyed everything that was nominated.  It's hard to choose just three, and so I will exclude everything I knew well, and this time I knew most of them well.

I love Broadcast and know that well, and it pains me not to give it a vote.  The Noise Made by People is one of my very favourite albums of 2000, and Broadcast is one of the most important to me acts that I got into over the last five years. I love that Charming Hostess, but also know it so well (I suggested this band to PA).  Love the Offa Rex, but I have known it well for some time.  I really love that Tea and Symphony, but know it very well.  Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit is wonderful, but I've known this for as long as I can remember (very glad it got mentioned).  Love Bent Knee and knew this well.  The Sandy Danny with Fairport Convention, Sinéad O'Connor Susanne Sundfør, Janis Joplin, Roberta Flack, Piaf, Sade I also knew well.

So it's between eleven choices and even then it's hard choosing just three (this is in no particular order and each could get my vote).

Gorecki, Symphony n° 3, 2nd mvt / Zofia Kilanowicz 
Lau Nau - "Juokse sinä humma" 
Lush - "Monochrome" 
Ginevra di Marco - "Vedrai Vedrai" 
Silvia Pérez Cruz “Mañana” 
Helium Horse Fly - Adrift 
Dida Drăgan - Să nu lovim nicicînd un porumbel

Hmm, right now I'll go
Gorecki, Symphony n° 3, 2nd mvt / Zofia Kilanowicz (glorious)
Lau Nau - "Juokse sinä humma" 
Lush - "Monochrome" 

Had fully thought to go with the Cruz, and it pains me not to, but sometimes if a tie I will go with those with no votes or less votes.

Edited by Logan - June 07 2021 at 10:57
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 11:14
@Logan
As far as I can see 2 out of those 3 votes are for Edda. Tongue

Edited by Mila-13 - June 07 2021 at 11:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 11:23
Thank you, Mila-13.  

I'm just getting to reviewing the various comments, etc.  Smile

Thus far, then, for Spot 25, the split vote for 

Silvia Pérez Cruz “Mañana” (Mila-13) or Ennio/Edda “Cosa” (Logan)

Tallies Thusly:  

Silvia Pérez Cruz “Mañana” (Mila-13)  1

Ennio/Edda “Cosa” (Logan)                   2

This will be updated as necessary, it is repeated now in my initial post on Page 1 as well, should anyone come along and begin at the beginning.

Edited by Snicolette - June 07 2021 at 11:25
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 11:41
^ I don't think it matters, since this is not a contest.  What matters most to me is just that we are listening to each other's selections and sharing our appreciation in posts, even if I might favour an "underdog" in a vote.  But that's me.

Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

@Logan
As far as I can see 2 out of those 3 votes are for Edda. Tongue

Without checking, I just assumed it was the other way around. LOL My intuitions seem to get worse as I get older, as well as my accuracy.

Ah, well, I could have just as easily voted for several.  Consider my appreciation to be an additional write-in vote.  It was really tough just to choose three this round, and I would have liked to vote for all of those I mentioned of which I was lacking in familiarity.  I think it's the write-ins and comments that matter more than the poll results itself.  It's not a contest, of course.  I really enjoyed your choice. Thumbs Up

It was between yours and Monochrome for me particularly (love both, but the Monochrome is one I felt that I should already know which is what tipped the balance aside from its lack of votes so far).  Yours on the hand might open more doors, so from that perspective I could have just as easily gone with that.

The limit of three votes is rarely ideal for me.

Edited by Logan - June 07 2021 at 12:01
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 12:14
@Logan
I'm more than happy to be able to participate at all and you are the one who opened the door for me! The voting form has its advantages and disadvantages like everything else. But you are right, this is not about competing but about sharing and discussing music and that's why I'm here. Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 07 2021 at 12:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 15:25
Thank you very much to those who have voted for Katinka - "Idioter". Very much appreciated Smile

Second batch:

Ginevra di Marco - "Vedrai Vedrai" (jamesbaldwin)
The music is based on a piano. The vocals have a sense of resignation, and they are also quite melancholic. Composition-wise I think it is just a little too regular (based mostly on a sequence of fifths), but there's obviously a lot more expression in the vocals.

Dida Dragan – “Sa nu lovim nicicînd un porumbel” (Cristi)
Judging by the production values, I believe this must be from the 70's. As with the previous song, the vocals carry most of the weight. She has a lot of vibrato. I like some of the chord changes too, but genre-wise it is not so much me.

Gorecki, Symphony n° 3, 2nd mvt / Zofia Kilanowicz (suitkees)
While I acknowledge the musical qualities of this, it doesn't really appeal to my taste. A bit like Arvo Pärt perhaps - who is not so much my cup of tea either. There is kind of a new age vibe to it.

Cara Dillon - "The Lark In The Clear Air" (Ronstein)
There are some very fine vocal phrasings here, but overall the song is a bit too much to the sentimental side to me.

Broadcast - "You Can Fall" (Lewian)
Now enter a more experimental and electronic area, so clearly this is more up my alley. The soundscape is quite analogue to my ears which is great. The vocals set in later. They are very understated which I really like. Like with Ginevra di Marco, there's a sense of resignation to it. I also like the organ. Contender.

Bent Knee – "Being Human" (mathman0806)
Begins with some interesting keyboards and slightly jazzy vocals. After the intro, the music turns very proggy, complete with advanced harmony, irregular bars and tempo changes. Very expressive vocals with many dynamic changes - interacts perfectly with the band. I like this a lot. Another contender.

Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit" (Easy Money)
This is of course otherworldly in every way. Her voice sends a shiver down my spine. Unfortunately, since I already knew it well, it won't be a contender for my part. But it's a great choice!

Edited by The Anders - June 07 2021 at 15:35
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 18:19
I am reading as far as I can. It will take a long time to heal. Thanks for the wishes.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 18:49
Good to hear from you, Lorenzo, as you can see, we are all sending our best to you!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>