Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnsemble Pearl for Post/Math

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ensemble Pearl for Post/Math
    Posted: June 07 2021 at 13:58
Ensemble Pearl are an international psychedelic/doom/ambient project, formed in 2009 to score a multimedia theatre piece by choreographer Gisèle Vienne. Inspired by and named after the collaborative Brian Eno and Harold Budd record, the band consists of Stephen O'Malley (of Sunn O))) and numerous projects), drummer Atsuo (of Boris), guitarist Michio Kurihara (formerly of Ghost and White Heaven), Bill Herzog (formerly of Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter), violist Eyvind Kang (of Secret Chiefs 3 among others) and violinist Timba Harris (of Master Musicians of Bukkake).

O'Malley describes their style as "[c]osmic heavy rock sounds in an area between Link Wrey [sic], Earth "Hex", and early Tangerine Dream. Inspired by '50s-'70s rock and contemporary music productions." Their sole self-titled record, featuring material written during their tenure with Vienne, was released in 2013 on Drag City, with a Japanese edition issued by Daymare Recordings featuring an additional disc of alternative takes and mixes. Ensemble Pearl will appeal to listeners of Earth, Barn Owl, Scattered Purgatory, Ash Ra Tempel, Ghost and Boris.

"Ensemble Pearl" (2013)

Daymare edition (additional outtakes):

Edited by Gordy - July 30 2021 at 14:49
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 00:10
Bump! The mediafire link still works for the time being, and I can reupload if necessary.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 00:58
Glad you bumped this, as I missed it first time around.  I wonder if maybe you’re suggesting it for the wrong team, though? While I can totally understand why you’ve put them forward for Psych/Space I think they would be a better fit for Post/Math or Exp/Post.

There are a lot of similarities you could draw between Ensemble Pearl and a band like, eg, Godspeed You! Black Emperor - not least the influence of Krautrock/Kosmiche Musik. The influence of Tangerine Dream on Ensemble Pearl is undeniable and overt. It may be worth asking the Post/Math team to give this a listen, and let them make the decision whether to accept it or put it forward for a Move to another team. (I would hope that they’d not outrightly reject it, because it definitely seems more of a Yes/Move vote than a No to me.)

Alternatively, despite the sparseness and, dare I say it, delicacy, of Ensemble Pearl, to me their music is clearly still based on metal. In a way, this is a metal supergroup playing a discrete and subdued version of what their audience might expect - but there’s still enough metal tropes to keep (most of) those fans interested. If it came to the PM team, I would definitely say yes for Exp/Post - but I can’t speak for the rest of the team.

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 23:36
I really appreciate your insight on this one; I never considered these guys for consideration in any subgenre other than Krautrock or Psych/Space. I guess I ultimately based my final decision on the massive similarities to Barn Owl and Boris (who were once up for submission and were bounced around from team to team with Psych/Space ultimately their resting point). The Ensemble Pearl record sounds like a continuation of Boris' excellent prior collaboration with Stephen O'Malley & Sunn O))), Altar. I changed the thread title and hope it positively draws the attention of the other team members.

Also hope you get some mileage from this, Nick:

Edited by Gordy - July 05 2021 at 23:42
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 23:49
as long as we don't know which team to look into this band, it's gonna take a while and nothing will get done. 
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 00:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

as long as we don't know which team to look into this band, it's gonna take a while and nothing will get done. 

As part of the Prog Metal team, what are your opinions on their eligibility?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 00:33
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

if you want one team to evaluate, don't write three subgenres in the suggestion title. Sorry, but who's to look into this band? Confused

I'll add them for suggestion for experimental/post metal then. 

Edited by Cristi - July 06 2021 at 00:39
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 00:50
^ Gordy's following Nick's lead, which I think is a fantastic, thoughtful post since Nick mentioned some other categories. I know we have the request that one one subgenre be listed now, but that used to be different. It was common at one time for multiple possible subgenres to be in the title and then for multiple team's members to check out the music and comment in the suggestion thread and then decide on best fit in conversation there (sometimes we'd duke it outa bit when multiple teams wanted something. Avant Prog often won). When team members are really busy, this can be hard. Often it worked well and avoided later ping-ponging. The suggestion threads often were more vibrant with more debates then and conversations with various team's members sharing their opinions on suitability (was lots of fun).

Often people would post their preferred subgenre as the first, and then mention "ors" for other subgenres if unsure. We had some specific issues, so made some changes hoping to make things easier for teams, but I wish we had the "or" system still. It can help to get a variety of opinions before taking it to the team thread.

Edited by Logan - July 06 2021 at 00:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 00:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Gordy's following Nick's lead, which I think is a fantastic, thoughtful post since Nick mentioned some other categories. I know we have the request that one one subgenre be listed now, but that used to be different. It was common at one time for multiple possible subgenres to be in the title and then for multiple team's members to check out the music and comment in the suggestion thread and then decide on best fit in conversation there (sometimes we'd duke it outa bit when multiple teams wanted something. Avant Prog often won). When team members are really busy, this can be hard. Often it worked well and avoided later ping-ponging. The suggestion threads often were more vibrant with more debates then and conversations with various team's members sharing their opinions on suitability.

Often I think people post their preferred subgenre as the first, and then mentions ors for the others if unsure. We had some specific issues, so made some changes hoping to make things easier for teams.

I was just saying that when there are several subgenres in a suggestion title, nothing happens, that's all. I've seen it happen several times. 

Since the OP asked the metal team, I added them to the PF chart. 

Edited by Cristi - July 06 2021 at 01:09
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 01:04
^ I get ya. Things used to be rather different when we joined this site. Although I'm sure the same must have happened a lot then too (maybe it was I was on the Eclectic team, and we worked closely with other teams due to the eclectic nature of the music and crossover with other teams). I get why Gordy did that in response to Nick's post -- you used the confused emoticon, which could indicate more than one aspect of confusion. I might have done the same as Gordy, would have at one time, and then hoped to see some decision made in the topic by a few people from different teams talking it out. It's often hard to know best fit, and it can take team members from multiple teams to figure that out. I liked it when it was more common for teams to talk it out and decide in the suggestion threads rather than taking it to them team threads before deciding (more transparent and more fun, I thought, but I digress).

Edited by Logan - July 06 2021 at 01:14
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 01:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I get ya. Things used to be rather different when we joined this site. Although I'm sure the same must have happened a lot then too (maybe it was I was on the Eclectic team, and we worked closely with other teams due to the eclectic nature of the music and crossover with other teams). I get why Gordy did that in response to Nick's post -- you used the confused emoticon, which could indicate more than one aspect of confusion. I might have done the same as Gordy, would have at one time, and then hoped to see some decision made in the topic by a few people from different teams talking it out. It's often hard to know best fit, and it can take team members from multiple teams to figure that out. I liked it when it was more common for teams to talk it out and decide in the suggestion threads rather than taking it to them team threads before deciding (more transparent and more fun, I thought, but I digress).

I don't understand what you think I did wrong here. 

The band is under evaluation now, I added them to the PF chart. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 01:19
I didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong, Cristi. Sorry if it comes across like that. That's just my piss poor tangential conversational style.

It's probably why I end up having so few conversations with people in real life.

Edited by Logan - July 06 2021 at 01:30
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 01:54
Thanks for the explanation, Logan. I fondly remember the days when submissions could have multiple genre tags, and I figured I wouldn't do that nowadays unless I was absolutely confounded (i.e. Natural Snow Buildings). Since I got the attention of one of the teams in question, I'll revert the thread name back to the original and change it again if necessary (Exp/Post -> Psych/Krautrock -> Post/Math).

Edited by Gordy - July 06 2021 at 01:55
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 03:26

if you want one team to evaluate, don't write three subgenres in the suggestion title. Sorry, but who's to look into this band? Confused

I'll add them for suggestion for experimental/post metal then. 

I definitely think what Gordy has done is fine, and agree with everything Greg said. That’s not to say I think you did anything wrong, and I can understand why you are worried about nothing coming of the submission if more than one genre team is listed.

But, I really do agree that if can make more sense, and be more transparent, if submissions that could easily fit into multiple PA genres are discussed between teams in this thread. So while it is cool that it is going for evaluation for Exp/Post, and I think this is an appropriate genre for the band, I could easily have seen another genre team picking it up.

It’s a moot point now, as it’s in the PM team. I am expecting votes from our team to be either Yes or Move, and we can go from there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 03:31

I really appreciate your insight on this one; I never considered these guys for consideration in any subgenre other than Krautrock or Psych/Space. I guess I ultimately based my final decision on the massive similarities to Barn Owl and Boris (who were once up for submission and were bounced around from team to team with Psych/Space ultimately their resting point). The Ensemble Pearl record sounds like a continuation of Boris' excellent prior collaboration with Stephen O'Malley & Sunn O))), Altar. I changed the thread title and hope it positively draws the attention of the other team members.

Also hope you get some mileage from this, Nick:

Being a fan of both Sunn and Boris, I’m familiar with that, but thanks for thinking of me!

Boris and Sunn are also bands that could easily fit into PA within multiple PA genres (Boris especially, who travel all over the sound and style spectra). I can definitely understand why Boris would bounce about between teams. Perhaps because of bias, I’d quite like to see them in Exp/Post, but ultimately I’d just like to see Boris in PA. The one word that truly described Boris is eclectic, but ironically that’s one PA genre I don’t think they’d ever be accepted for! 😄🤪

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2021 at 14:49
So here's where things stand as of 7/30:

3hNickHudsonMetal (NickHudson)
16hkempokidMetal (kempokid)
14dNickHudsonMetal (NickHudson)
14dTCatMetal (TCat)
15dCristi_3rdMetal (Cristi_3rd)
25dCristi_3rdMetal-> New

I guess I'll change the thread to Post/Math on Nick's suggestion - not sure they belong in that particular subgenre, but Ensemble Pearl's spiritual brethren Labradford and Bohren und der Club of Gore are listed there so anything's possible.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2021 at 15:00
The only reason I changed my Yes vote to a Move is because it would have left the band in limbo, which I didn’t want. By changing my vote to Move, it can be passed on to the Post team. I would rather see them under the prog metal umbrella, but if it comes down to it, getting them into PA is the war, so I’m prepared to lose a battle in order to hopefully win the war. 😜

I have suggested that if the Post team don’t like it, it could come back to us, rather than be rejected outright. To be fair, though, I think the band stands a good chance with the Post team, or I wouldn’t be comfortable changing to a Move vote.

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2021 at 23:55
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The only reason I changed my Yes vote to a Move is because it would have left the band in limbo, which I didn’t want. By changing my vote to Move, it can be passed on to the Post team. I would rather see them under the prog metal umbrella, but if it comes down to it, getting them into PA is the war, so I’m prepared to lose a battle in order to hopefully win the war. 😜

I have suggested that if the Post team don’t like it, it could come back to us, rather than be rejected outright. To be fair, though, I think the band stands a good chance with the Post team, or I wouldn’t be comfortable changing to a Move vote.

I appreciate it, Nick. Checked a second ago and saw Keishiro just put them up for a vote under Post/Math. I still think Ensemble Pearl stand a chance with Psych and Krautrock before returning to the Metal team.

Edited by Gordy - July 30 2021 at 23:56
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 06:04
Really nice album. I’ve always thought of it as fitting the drone metal bag, but it certainly deserves an add somewhere.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 00:24
My YES. Let me recommend them in my blog. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>