Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your music collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 13:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I obviously need some secretaries

Administrative Assistant is the correct term these days. LOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 13:20

I’ve given up on titles. The children I work with are constantly given new titles/names/categories.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I obviously need some secretaries

Administrative Assistant is the correct term these days. LOL

"....just bring me a cup of black coffee, hang up my coat and hat and tell everyone I'm in meetings till 4PM...."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

[which is about 3,000 albums]

Hmmmm, let's see 3000 albums means how many hours times ten plus five subract three and then divide by seven? Tongue
LOL........although since these are all my digital downloads and I shuffle play at least 10 hours a day and don't pay much attention to what is playing........ummm I don't care!! Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hmmmm, let's see 3000 albums means how many hours times ten plus five subract three and then divide by seven? Tongue
LOL........although since these are all my digital downloads and I shuffle play at least 10 hours a day and don't pay much attention to what is playing........ummm I don't care!! Big smile

Yes, but you still might only hear YYZ every once in a while and not as often as you want. Tongue

I just find it funny how you were lecturing me about excess and you yourself have over 3000 albums. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 10 2021 at 16:09
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:48

Yes, but you still might only hear YYZ every once in a while and not as often as you want. Tongue

I just find it funny how you were lecturing me about excess and you yourself have over 3000 albums. 
No lecture, I had too many happy laughs for it to be a lecture in my post. More a mathematical schooling than a lecture on your collection.
That math is what keeps me from going looney-toons and buying all the albums I see in the store. At some point I know there would be albums I would not listen to more than 2x. There are people I know that have dbl what we all have put together in just records.....I have a buddy who has 7,000 LPs, sure there are duplicates but that may only be around 300-400 of the lot. He admits there is stuff he has forgotten about that he has, he has one 12x14 room dedicated to holding his records on floor to ceiling shelves....Insane!!!
He also admits he only listens to about 10% of the collection within a year span.....That's uber money to be sitting on shelves. 

I don't consider my digital collection part of my "collection", since you can't see it, touch it, hold it, smell it or roll doobies on it.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 17:09

I don't consider my digital collection part of my "collection", since you can't see it, touch it, hold it, smell it or roll doobies on it.
First thing I do is smell the new disc. Part of the ritual. Is it called a doobie anymore?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 17:27
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Anyone ever own Digital compact cassette, DAT (Digital Audio Tape), or Super Audio CD's or MiniDiscs? 

More formats that are extinct. 

MiniDisc here... at one point it seemed a wise move to use them for the stuff I had used cassettes for before, like recording from the radio, doing mixes, exchange of out own music. This didn't really work out, or, say, only for one or two years, except that I used an MD-Recorder for field recordings for quite some time. The most annoying thing was that when I got my Vortexbox, the bloody MiniDisc recorder, despite digital in principle, would not allow to export to any other digital format directly, so that I could not just copy the MiniDisc music there without going analog in between.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 17:43

No lecture, I had too many happy laughs for it to be a lecture in my post. More a mathematical schooling than a lecture on your collection.
That math is what keeps me from going looney-toons and buying all the albums I see in the store. At some point I know there would be albums I would not listen to more than 2x. There are people I know that have dbl what we all have put together in just records.....I have a buddy who has 7,000 LPs, sure there are duplicates but that may only be around 300-400 of the lot. He admits there is stuff he has forgotten about that he has, he has one 12x14 room dedicated to holding his records on floor to ceiling shelves....Insane!!!
He also admits he only listens to about 10% of the collection within a year span.....That's uber money to be sitting on shelves. 

Well, a schooling is more or less the same as a lecture. Trying to teach someone or shame them. Anyway, there's people who have way more than I do on here so go give them the math homework too.Wink That figure 6,000 was my upper limit. I'm not even there yet anyway. However, I see where you are coming from so I might change it to 5,000 or 4,000. We'll see. I'll probably wind up selling a bunch of stuff anyway. I have a lot of stuff I bought for really cheap(mostly prog metal)that I haven't even really listened to much. The stuff I don't plan on keeping I'll sell(if possible)and the rest I'll keep. So far most of it is crap. Lol. Anyway, please no more math! Wink

So having a collection that is too big you might not get to hear everything enough but if it's too small you get sick of hearing the same stuff all time. I guess you just can't win. Confused

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 10 2021 at 18:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 09:13

Well, a schooling is more or less the same as a lecture. Trying to teach someone or shame them. Anyway, there's people who have way more than I do on here so go give them the math homework too.Wink That figure 6,000 was my upper limit. I'm not even there yet anyway. However, I see where you are coming from so I might change it to 5,000 or 4,000. We'll see. I'll probably wind up selling a bunch of stuff anyway. I have a lot of stuff I bought for really cheap(mostly prog metal)that I haven't even really listened to much. The stuff I don't plan on keeping I'll sell(if possible)and the rest I'll keep. So far most of it is crap. Lol. Anyway, please no more math! Wink

So having a collection that is too big you might not get to hear everything enough but if it's too small you get sick of hearing the same stuff all time. I guess you just can't win. Confused
Don't be so sensitive, we are talking about music not about how many guns, cars, motorcycles or houses we own. 
Trying to shame youConfusedConfused??? I don't think so........If you feel that way then don't go over to other music sites where this topic of how much music is too much is very popular discussion, but nobody feels shamed or schooled or lectured on how much they own or don't own for that matter. 
Like I said, me having dbl or triple what I currently have would be easy but I am more into I want to listen to my collection not just look at it. Please don't take that as how I feel about you having 4-6,000 pc collection, whether you play it all or look at it all is your decision. 

Just chill dude...go play some music!!! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 09:38

Don't be so sensitive, we are talking about music not about how many guns, cars, motorcycles or houses we own. 
Trying to shame youConfusedConfused??? I don't think so........If you feel that way then don't go over to other music sites where this topic of how much music is too much is very popular discussion, but nobody feels shamed or schooled or lectured on how much they own or don't own for that matter. 
Like I said, me having dbl or triple what I currently have would be easy but I am more into I want to listen to my collection not just look at it. Please don't take that as how I feel about you having 4-6,000 pc collection, whether you play it all or look at it all is your decision. 

Just chill dude...go play some music!!! Clap

No, I'm not upset I just thought you came across as a little preachy that's all. Certainly not the only one on here. Heck, I'm sure I come across that way sometimes too. LOL I'm perfectly ok with having some stuff that I only listen to maybe once or twice a year at the most(or even once every other year) so it's not a big deal to me. I'm big into variety and not just prog so for that reason I like to have a lot of options. I can't say how big I want my collection to get but I don't want it to be too big(but not too small either). Like I said before I currently have a lot of stuff that isn't that good(and or not rated highly)and so at some point I will probably be getting rid of a lot of stuff so I can make room for more. YOu did get me to reconsider how much I want though so maybe I'll just stick with around 5,000 instead of 6,000. Tell you what though. Go to the gnosis website(gnosis2000) click on statistics and see how many albums those guys have. It won't tell you how many records they have but it says how many ratings they did and some of them have rated upwards of 10,000 and one who did over 30,000.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 10:49
The thing with all these numbers is when you approach thousands and thousands of LPs, I sometimes wonder if the floor supporting it can handle the load. Obviously it would if your on your bottom level with a concrete slab underneath, but upper floors do have some weight limits. Isn't it something like 40 pounds per square foot? 

So, if anyone is pushing that limit, it might be worth spreading the collection out across several rooms or doubling up the floor joists to increase the load support.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 11:04
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

[EDIT] Isn't it something like 40 pounds per square foot? 

God I hope not, Think about a single body standing in one spot. You take up about 1 sq/ft of 'land'. This is sometimes called 'point loading'. I'm sure regular household dwellings have something like 150 lb/sq/ft load capability anyway (I could look it up but I just cut the lawn and I'm really hot). But also if you think about how most people store their collections, most are in shelves or racks along a wall. Being 'close to the edge' Wink the floor joists have a much better load capability than out in the middle somewhere.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 11:34

...we are talking about music, not about how many guns, cars, motorcycles or houses we own. 
I don't own any guns, cars, motorcycles or houses, but I do own around 3,000 CD's, although only 568 of those albums are listed on ProgArchives, and considering they're all safely stored Close to the Edge of the walls on the upper floors, there's always room to acquire more.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 11 2021 at 11:40
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 12:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

...we are talking about music, not about how many guns, cars, motorcycles or houses we own. 
I don't own any guns, cars, motorcycles or houses, but I do own around 3,000 CD's, although only 568 of those albums are listed on ProgArchives, and considering they're all safely stored Close to the Edge of the walls on the upper floors, there's always room to acquire more.  Smile

Wow that's some cataloguing system if you know it's precisely 568!  [I'm impressed.]
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:06

Clap

I would say maybe 60% of my records are porg-porg related, the balance is jazz, classic rock, R&B/Funk and blues.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:18
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Wow that's some cataloguing system if you know it's precisely 568!  [I'm impressed.]
Not only I have I counted them, I've catalogued my entire prog collection too on Page 1 of this thread, although I've still yet to acquire any Neo Prog, as Essex Boy in Wales reminded me.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:21
I used to keep databases of my physical music collection (starting back in the 1970's with cardfiles) before eventually transferring it all into a digital database, but now the bulk of my collection is in a well organise digital format, I don't really bother with creating spreadsheets or databases any more.

Edited by Progishness - June 11 2021 at 13:22

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:12
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I used to keep databases of my physical music collection (starting back in the 1970's with cardfiles) before eventually transferring it all into a digital database, but now the bulk of my collection is in a well organise digital format, I don't really bother with creating spreadsheets or databases any more.
Ahhh, card files. Now there's some nostalgia !
I certainly don't catalogue my digital collection, but my physical ones I have on an Excel sheet with cat #'s, price paid (when known), value as per discogs, and any interesting notes regard the item (signed, coloured or special packaging etc.)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:15
Yep, one card per album (including the track listing, label + catalogue number, release date, and any other details I deemed to be relevant), or two cards per double album.

Edited by Progishness - June 11 2021 at 14:18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>