Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: Poll now open. Listen then vote for three "duos" and mention in a post
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.82%]
5 [7.35%]
6 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
1 [1.47%]
8 [11.76%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
6 [8.82%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 15:59
Friday got me through Page 3 with first impressions, and a couple of additions for consideration:

Mila-13:  Msaki “Dreams”  African percussive sounds and some strummed guitar and fluttery flute-y instruments.  Angelic-voiced female singer.  Stunning, love the lyrics as well.  Strings swell into the mix, then back into the song itself. Cello embellishment shows up once.  Beautifully produced and bsolutely lovely.  Laibach “Smrt za Smrt” Ominous piano, slightly discordant and other sonic whooshes begin the piece.  Drums and angular keys come crashing in, in a steady march.  Deep speaking vocal and banshee screams and shriekles (Just made that up, cross with shriek and giggles).  There is a sense of an ancient tongue, with the effect on the vocal, demon-like (although it could just be in Slovenian or the like) .  There’s a floating and oooeeeooo part with some jabbering keyboards, ¾’s in.  Another wash of sound comes in ala the first “marching,” part, with the deep demonic speaking continuing.  The sounds all fade away, with one more word, “smrt,” (death) intoned.

Cristi:  Black Sabbath “Devil & Daughter”  Very familiar with the Sabs. Went along with the original concept, basically, but with a more typical metal singer, this sounds more like the metal of the time as opposed to Ozzy’s much less histrionic, yet effective vocals.  Searing leads, wailing, heavy drums and driving bass, as de rigueur.  Phenomena “Dance With The Devil”  This one begins with a doubled fiddle sound, at a quick pace.  Rest of the band joins in.  I find this much more sonically interesting than the Sabbath one.  A metal vocals again, but there are a lot more dynamics in this and the singer uses his range to good effect, and he’s got a more classic blues/metal tonality in the lower registry.  The fiddle hook returns a few times, with a lead electric guitar on top, as the tune fades away.

Tancos:  Ry Cooder “Great Dream From Heaven”  A complete change of pace from Mila’s Liebach piece, here is Americana fingerpicked guitar (as expected from Ry Cooder, of course), a happy, simple, sweet melody.  The Pogues:  Boys From the County Hell”  I do know of The Pogues, but can’t say I’ve heard this is done in rousing Irish pub style with acoustic instruments and strident vocals.  Lots of tin whistle and concertina decorate the steady beat of the drums and strumming guitar.  Haystacks Balboa (love the name!) “The Children of Heaven”  Here’s a punk-rocker style song, with wailing guitars and a rapacious laugh accompanying a deep and strident vocal.  There’s semi-spoken, satirical verses interspersed with the laughing and some keyboards at the instrumental break, then lead guitar after the keys. Then back it goes to the general repeating theme of music/spoken-ish/music 13 Cats (another great name!)  “Hell Bop”  Twilight Zone theme done in surf style starts, then goes into a rapid punkabilly rave, after a brief spoken part with evil laughs.  Sounds almost like they are saying, “Hale Bopp,” which would be an entirely different song.  Fun song for a Halloween party.  Joe Satriani “Lights of Heaven”  I would be expecting some serious guitar riffs here.  Guitar and bass with light percussion starts it all out.  Then goes into full on rock band with soaring guitar arching over the bass and drums.  Tasty break near center, featuring bass and then guitar, then a searing lead commences, with the drums steadily keeping the pace.  Another tasty bass break, then to a more rhythmic section, that leads to more searing lead.  Song ends with a flourish from the guitar and last bash on the drums.   Mattias IA Eklundh “Midsummer Night in Hell”  A sort of keyboard Greek/Irish jig steps right up to the stage, guitars are doubled as it goes galumphing along.  Wonky guitar lead for a bit and then back to the main theme….and out.  Brave Combo “In Heaven There Is No Beer”  Another cwazy cartoon wabbit sort of piece, another fun pub sing sort of song, a very fast polka. Such a sad lament of so much fun lacking in heaven! 😉 Stuart Hamm “Country Music (A Night In Hell)”  Some wailing guitars and drums start, but it’s at the end of their song, sounding like a live large club setting, with audience wanting them to “play some country music.”  A wonky kind of cover versions of familiar country honky-tonk bluegrass motifs commences, all well played, yet still kinda tongue-in-cheek.  That audience guy wants them to play a polka after that.

The Anders:  Talking Heads “Heaven”  This one I do know, but I enjoyed this LP very much.  Unmistakably the Talking Heads, one of the best of the 80’s bands.  Kaizers Orchestra "Ompa til du dør"  As expected from the title, a wonky sort of oompah song. A very sarcastic vocal, with lots of muffle on the mic, while the music oompahs along unperterbably.  It gains in intensity and there is a quite enjoyable lead during the break about halfway in.  He doesn’t like this Sven Korner person, it would seem from the translation of the lyrics, who is doomed to hell.  Tune comes to an end fairly abruptly.

I prophesy disaster:  Of course I know of Todd Rundgren, I know some material and some I don’t.  Same with Alan Parsons.  Todd:  “Everybody’s Going To Heaven”  Begins right away with whacked out drums and guitars.  A little way in, effected and strident vocals enter.  Another sarcastic song about heaven, here, but there’s plenty of truth in it, too, as is the best sarcasm.  Fast and clean lead in the instrumental break, about center, that goes on for a bit, then goes into a sort of cacophonic (is that a word?) part with lots of phasing etc. and lots going on with the instrument.  Song comes to a long fade.  Alan:  “Can’t Take It With You”  The music starts with some keyboard/flute-y sound, kind of Spaghetti Western sound to it.  Moves into a very signature APP sort of sound, accessible, yet complex.  Very lovely, clear production, with great separation between all instruments and vocals.  There are some castanets sounds (again echoing that Spaghetti Western beginning).  Very apt guitar solo over steady drums, castanets are back, and the keys continue in their repeating phrase.  Then a break, back to the whistling sound on keys before the chorus fades out the song.

Mike:  Great idea, to present two with the same name, yet different.  The Muckers “New York Girls” Here is an Irish sound, with fiddle and tin whistle.  A sea shanty sort (there is a resurgence of interest in these lately), done apace and with humour.  Adept musicianship and sweeter in feel than, say, The Pogues.  A bit of a bawdy tune, which is also often heard in these types of pieces.  Angels of Light “New York Girls”  This has a much more sedate sound, which intrigues me from the start.  A deep-voiced, gravelly, whispery vocal.  Kind of a spooky, hypnotic, atmospheric piece.  Come hither, yet keep your distance, if you know what’s good for you.  Next part, heaven and hell.  Oceansize “Heaven Sent”   Vocal chorus, matching keyboard notes starts this all off, then goes right into drums and whangy guitar and keys.  The vocals are a bit obscured by the effect(s) on them, reminding me of early REM (although they didn’t use effects on the vocals).  The shimmering instruments continue on under, there is a feeling almost of being in bright light, although in an audio way, to me.   The chorus and keys matching each other comes back, with the main vocal now arching over the top.  The song gains in intensity and then dies out, with a wham and then a whisper.  Trophy Scars “Time in Heaven, Forever in Hell”  Almost a live sound to this at the opening.  Soaring electric guitar and expert piano, with percussive washes.  The vocals are fairly effected, layered with themselves.  Regret song, where he finally lets his anger loose vocally, toward the end, along with a driving electric lead, then drops back to his resignation.

tigerfeet:  Jacky “White Horses”  Soft horns and quickly trotting guitars and soft percussion enter the field with a horse-mad young girl cooing sweetly.  This girl was me as a girl!  I had to look up the tv show, it wasn’t shown in the US, but I certainly would have been an avid fan.  Just light and lovely 60’s style theme song piece, we had a tv show theme poll some time back and it would have fit perfectly there, too.  Tom Waits “Hell Broke Luce”  In complete contrast, this starts with very rough and nightmarish discord, Tom Waits’ distinctive voice and no-holds-barred lyrics.  There is an eerie vocal chorus here and there. Hell on earth sort of life for the person in the song, madness brought on by too much sad life.  This is one of the most divergent pairings here, certainly.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 00:53
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Cristi:  Black Sabbath “Devil & Daughter”  Very familiar with the Sabs. Went along with the original concept, basically, but with a more typical metal singer, this sounds more like the metal of the time as opposed to Ozzy’s much less histrionic, yet effective vocals.  Searing leads, wailing, heavy drums and driving bass, as de rigueur.  Phenomena “Dance With The Devil”  This one begins with a doubled fiddle sound, at a quick pace.  Rest of the band joins in.  I find this much more sonically interesting than the Sabbath one.  A metal vocals again, but there are a lot more dynamics in this and the singer uses his range to good effect, and he’s got a more classic blues/metal tonality in the lower registry.  The fiddle hook returns a few times, with a lead electric guitar on top, as the tune fades away.

Glenn Hughes sings on the entire Phenomena debut album. He is one of the best vocalists ever. The whole debut album is a gem, can easily please hard rock, AOR listeners and even some metalheads. 

The underrated Tony Martin sings on the BS song, the Martin era of BS is often overlooked which is a shame IMHO. 

Edited by Cristi - June 12 2021 at 02:19
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 02:09
^Hughes is amazing and just as amazing is that he is still at it. The latest by the Dead Daisies came up on my Amazon autoplay and I was thinking the singer sounds like Glenn Hughes (and sure enough, it was). This cover of the Humble Pie classic is from last year.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Glenn Hughes sings on the entire Phenomena debut album. He is one of the best vocalists ever. The whole debut album is a gem, can easily please hard rock, AOR listeners and even some metalheads. 

The underrated Tony Martin sings on the BS song, the Martin era of BS is often overlooked which is a shame IMHO. 

Agreed that Glenn is a fantastic singer.  And I enjoyed the Phenomena piece quite a bit, I liked that they went outside of the usual rock box and used the fiddle, which is often associated with the Devil in music.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 12:21
Two more (I think I might nominate these)

Tallis - "Spem in alium"

Christopher Young - "Hellbound Heart"

Edited by Logan - June 12 2021 at 12:23
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 12:24

Todd:  “Everybody’s Going To Heaven”  Begins right away with whacked out drums and guitars.  A little way in, effected and strident vocals enter.  Another sarcastic song about heaven, here, but there’s plenty of truth in it, too, as is the best sarcasm.  Fast and clean lead in the instrumental break, about center, that goes on for a bit, then goes into a sort of cacophonic (is that a word?) part with lots of phasing etc. and lots going on with the instrument.  Song comes to a long fade.

I should point out that the last part of the Todd Rundgren track is actually called "King Kong Reggae". I abbreviated the track name for the benefit of Logan.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 05:36
As I remember that Greg did not want this poll to last too long, I will nominate the two songs I posted earlier - Anuna's "Whispers of Paradise" and Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu". This time around I had trouble coming up with good suggestions - not for lack of good heaven/hell music, but because of my own lack of ideas :D. If I remember correctly, I will be in charge of the next poll.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 05:42
I nominate Emma Ruth Rundle - Heaven and Phenomena - Dance With the Devil. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:02
Logan, do let us know if we should include the YT or bc links again on the final nominations.  If so, I will edit to add those in.  

Here are my two:

Hell:  Atilio Adrian Matteucci & Jesse Ahmann  - "To One In Paradise" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZn1nI6rh3w&ab_channel=Athy%C3%81sz.S%C3%A8rh%C3%A4i
and
Heaven:  Azam Ali w/ Hildegard Von Bingen's - "O Vis Aeternitatis" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcswgNIQ6Bw&ab_channel=AzamAliandNiyaz

Edited by Snicolette - June 13 2021 at 12:58
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 12:40
Don't think we need links again if those were provided before. It might be helpful to some, however (links rather than new embeds).

Hope people don't mind me keeping a tight set schedule, but otherwise it can get confusing. And with duos, well that makes for more listening potentially when it comes to nominations (as well as all suggestions). I wish I'd made a YouTube playlist for all suggestions (never done this and don't wish to step on Geo's territory, so to speak). I do want to stick to all options being put up in the poll on Tuesday.

I don't know what my heaven and hell duo will be yet from three heaven and three hell possibilities. I'll go with the Delibes or Tallis for heaven methinks, but three hells are up for grabs. I thought the Penderecki a good choice, but I feel that those who might appreciate it for the theme would likely know it well already. Might go with the more easy listening Hellraiser option, or maybe the Xiu Xiu.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 12:50
Mine are:

Heaven: CMX - "Taivaan lapset"
Hell: CMX - "Epäonnisten liikemiesten helvetti"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 13:11
My nomination will stay with the pair I posted before:

Love and Rockets - "Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven" / "Bound For Hell"

Edited by mathman0806 - June 13 2021 at 13:12
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 13:34
I stay with my initial choice:

Talking Heads - "Heaven"
Kaizers Orchestra - "Ompa til du dør"

Many know the Talking Heads song here of course, so it will probably cost me some votes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 13:38
Playlist with all videos. Maybe. I put this together quickly, so let me know if something is missing.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx76MV2mIJPh8UC0DU-aa8BP

Edited by mathman0806 - June 13 2021 at 13:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 13:48
Thanks Geo, the playlist is much appreciated.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 13:51
The current last two songs in the playlist were a pairing I was thinking about. Not going to nominate but since they are there, I'll mention.

First is Stereotype & ELEX - Tengoku. I think the style of music is EDM trap. Tengoku is the Japanese word for Heaven.

Second is the Nastie Band - Lucifer's Grotto. I am assuming his grotto is in hell but can't confirm.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 14:08
I’ll go for Teeth of the Sea (Hell) and Jordan Reyne (Heaven), I think, for my nominations.
😇😈
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 15:07
Just one more I really wish to mention.

Angelo Badalamenti - "The Voice of Love"

I think my choices will be
Krzysztof Penderecki - "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" and Thomas Tallis - "Spem in Alium" (which is a choral work composed in 1570).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 16:39
First thoughts on a few additions by George and Logan:

George: The Dead Daisies “30 Days in the Hole,” surely it’s own kind of hell)  Acoustic guitar accompanying some wonderful vocal chords on this classic song. Stands quite well as an acoustic duo piece, no complaints here.   I had the pleasure of seeing Humble Pie open for ELP at the Hollywood Bowl in 1971, first time they made it to the west coast, that was a completely different experience.  😊  Stereotype & ELEX “Tengoju”  Here we have an electronic piece, all keys with whooshing sounds and some wonky sounds that gain and fall back in intensity with some percussive parts.  This one doesn’t leave me with a feeling of heaven, for the most part, however..  Nastie Band “Lucifer’s Grotto”  Definitely ominious beginning with keys, percussion and some randomly placed sounds and bells/cymbals.  There are some electronic swooshing sounds, kind of like hearing a sword or bullwhip slice through air.  Fuzzy effected guitar comes in here and there, in a disquieting way, and pulsing into higher and higher registers, then back down again, repetitively.  The percussion comes to the fore, this is another processional sort of piece to my ear.  A whirring thing comes around and around, with a boomy sort of a sound.  The percussion begins to sound almost clocklike, but ticking very fast up to the end.

Logan:  Tallis “Spem in alium”  Here angelic voices that almost sound like flutes at first, then it becomes clear they are all vocalists.  Transcendent and transporting piece, as these are meant to be, definitely good chills inducing.   Christopher Young “Hellbound Heart”  Begins ominously as one might expect.  Orchestral soundtrack with suspense-building strings and some harp playing discordantly.  Flutes join in with the various strings.  Cellos create a very deep, menacing tone.  There is a sense of melancholy about 2/3rds in, turning to a more despairing tonality.  The piece becomes less lushy populated, now just strings and piano at the end. Angelo Badalamenti “The Voice of Love”  Here is music that reminds us of how much a soundtrack can contribute to visual arts and become absolutely one of the addictive parts of a well-loved tale.  I know this one, so wouldn’t be able to vote for it, but Badalamenti’s music will always be entwined with the characters and visuals of Twin Peaks to create my fascination for this series.  Such a very moving scene with the music and symbolism of these characters in that room with the angel. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 18:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

With this theme we travel to the promised neverland (harp music anyone?) and plunge into the abyss (bagpipes anyone?).

For fun:

Did I get it right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>