Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Poll Question: Poll now open. Listen then vote for three "duos" and mention in a post
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.82%]
5 [7.35%]
6 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
1 [1.47%]
8 [11.76%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
6 [8.82%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 16:26
I decided to forgo the playlist and instead listen to everyone's contributions in a hell-followed-by-heaven order in an attempt to lift my spirits on this rather drab day, and I think Logan's and Lewian's song duos had the most profound positive effect on me: both hell songs being avant-garde, unconventionally structured noise collages that I think represent the concept the best, and both heaven songs serving as a serene respite from the chaos from which the listener just escaped. In the end I think my #1 pick has got to be Penderecki and Tallis: I already knew the Penderecki composition and love it very much which I realize might be "cheating", but the beauty of the Tallis piece that followed it had me in genuine awe and I think that deserves commendation.

Edited by Mirakaze - June 21 2021 at 16:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 18:16
^ I'm very glad you appreciated the Tallis. I find it quite sublime and rather ethereal, numinous...

Time for me to vote and while I will exclude the Tago Mago tracks which I know and like so very much, I am very glad to have them in the poll. "White Horses" is another I knew and like very much, although I wouldn't have excluded it as I didn't know, or remember the Tom Waits

Just copy-pasting those poll options:

Matteucci/Ahmann: To One in Paradise/Ali: O Vis Aeternitatis

I adored To One Paradise particularly.

Idem: Suedirland Bantry Bay / FM Einheit: Korrektionsanstalt

I thought this was a terrific combo. Korrektionsanstalt I found genuinely unnerving and Suedirland Bantry Bay I appreciated more and more with each spin. I was quite sure this combo would be in my top three all along.

Teeth of the Sea: Whilst We Live in Fear/ Reynes: Heavenly.. Enjoyed these very much.

A couple of other tracks I really appreciated are Harry Partch: Delusion of the Fury and Rundle's, but really I liked everything. And I did consider King Missile: Heaven / Noir Désir: 666.667 Club for my top three.   My choices changed a bit depending on the day.

Thanks so much everyone, by the way. I've really enjoyed this and I'm also looking forward to the next poll.

Edited by Logan - June 21 2021 at 18:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 03:43

My votes go to:

Penderecki/Tallis

A perfect pairing of early and contemporary classical music contrasting and complementing each other at the same time which emphasises the different moods of hell and heaven even more and in a very elegant way.

Marco Zamboni/Franco Battiato

Franco Battiato is one of my favourite Italian artists. Massimo Zamboni is a new discovery for me. An outstanding artist, indeed.

Tom Waits/Jackie Lee

Tom Waits, the master of noir sensibility paired with the sweetness of a delicate female voice singing a seemingly happy 60s style pop song. I could imagine these two songs in one film or even Tom and Jackie singing a duet à la Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue (Where the Wild Roses Grow).

This was a great edition. Thanks for the music everyone! I discovered several interesting new artists and enjoyed most of the music. The voting has been tough due to the duo format and I’m really sorry that I had to leave behind some absolutely amazing songs such as:

Kaizers Orchestra: Ompa til du dør

Matteucci/Ahmann: To One in Paradise

Noir Désir: 666.667 Club

I'm glad that some of you liked my choices, South Africa's Msaki and Slovenia's Laibach and I'm looking forward to the next poll! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 24 2021 at 04:53
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 04:00
Ok, having listened to my shortlist (somewhere above) again, I have finally narrowed my choice down to three, and made my final vote(s).

My favourite pairing was Msaki: Dreams / Laibach: Smrt za smrt (Death for Death)

Then:

King Missile: Heaven / Noir Désir: 666.667 Club; and
Talking Heads: Heaven / Kaizers Orchestra: Ompa til du dør

But any one of the duos from my shortlist were worthy contenders, and I kind of feel bad not voting for them. This has been an absolutely wonderful poll, where I loved virtually every selection.

Finally, thanks to all who voted for my suggestions. They were both kind of obscure, and one wasn’t even on YouTube, so people had to make an effort to listen. I’m amazed they received so many votes, so thank you!

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 04:06
I'm glad that you liked my choices (Msaki/Laibach). Did you use the voting form above?

Thank you for introducing Jordan Reyne! I have a considerable collection of NZ music but was not aware of her. An interesting artist. Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 22 2021 at 04:14
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 08:25
Didn't have many occasions to listen to all of this, but in several stages I got through them all. No weak music here, so it was a great listen again, overall. Some music was already too familiar with to vote for: Can, Rundgren/APP, Talking Heads, De Burgh (love that whole album!), Cooder/Pogues, Phenomena (great album too!). I'm also quite familiar with Penderecki's music, wonderful! Was less moved by the Tallis piece, though.

Some singular tracks stood out and were unfamiliar to me (or I don't recall): Metallica, Kaizers Orchestra and especially Harry Partch and Tom Waits (awesome). In the end, my three final choices reflect maybe a bit the variety that I like to listen to, they're quite different from each other:
(in no particular order)
- Idem / FM Einheit. Strangely, I never explored FM Einheit. I've heard something some very long time ago and it may have represented to more radical EN-side that I was less in to at that time. Great duo, although the spinning cat is more comforting than hellish to me. (and very lewianesque suggestions, so that suits me...)
- Love & Rockets. Good choice, these two songs from the same band. Maybe not groundbreaking music, but it did procure me just very much listening pleasure - and that's important too! Uncomplicated but very good music/songs.
- Zamboni / Battiato. Now, Franco Battiato's song is very moving and powerful, but Zamboni's Dolorama is really the most outstanding piece I've heard in this poll - a masterpiece!

Thank you all for the quality music! And thanks to those voting for the humour of King Missile and the devilish club of Noir Désir. Beer

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 09:18
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

I'm glad that you liked my choices (Msaki/Laibach). Did you use the voting form above?

Thank you for introducing Jordan Reyne! I have a considerable collection of NZ music but was not aware of her. An interesting artist. Smile

Yes, I voted in the poll. I love Jordan Reyne, and remember when her debut album was released being really enchanted by her. I lost track of her for a few years, then one day for whatever reason decided to look to see if she had a Bandcamp page, and from there caught up on what I had missed.

And while I have a considerable collection of NZ music, that’s to be expected (since I’m a Kiwi), I’m impressed you do! 

I have been toying for awhile with submitting Jordan for inclusion in PA. Maybe one of these days, I might….

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 13:46
This time, I dont vote.

Too many songs for me.

Wonderful job, girls and boys.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 23 2021 at 13:51
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 17:20
It's a pity that I have less time for this poll than for many others because it's surely one of the best!

I know Pendereckis work. Tallis Scholars are heavenly indeed, great!

More touching music from Edgar Allen Poe suite and Azam Ali.

Heavenly Creatures and Whilst We Live In Fear Of Hell are fascinating.

Delusion of the Fury is one of the very best, not quite so keen on Chris de Burgh (and I knew that one before).

Love and Rockets - probably not a surprise that this isn't really my cup of tea.

The Msaki one is a good solid song but the Laibach one is OUTSTANDING. I know some of their huge catalogue and like most I know, but wasn't aware of this one.

Epäonnisten liikemiesten helvetti: mostly not for me but some nice surprises in there. Taivaan Lapset: This is pretty good, one of these choruses that won't let me go.

Emma Ruth Rundle and Phenomena are good stuff, maybe with less surprise factor than several others.

Anuna really draws me in, great stuff. Metallica - well what I'd expect from them, no complaints but not in the top ranks.

666667 Club - now this is a great discovery, that's my kind of stuff.King Missile - hmmm, not quite up with its companion.

Massimo Zamboni, another great Italian discovery thanks to Lorenzo. Franco Battiato, also very nice. Haven't explored his stuff much after his prog/experimental phase.

Ry Cooder & Pogues - fun stuff but already known.

Talking Heads - yeah, I had thought of this as well. But then Kaizers Orchestra is one of the great entries (gotta decide whether I can vote for a pair where I know one).

Todd Rundgren - haha, not a very heavenly heaven contribution, like this as a contrast to what it's representing. That Alan Parsons is too well known around here, good song though.

The Angels of Light one for me rather has a twilight atmosphere between heaven and hell - like it a lot though. Not so much The Muckers.

The White Horses - fun entry. Nice team up with Tom Waits, maybe not my favourite songs of the entry but great combination.

Can - obviously this is great and obviously I can't vote for it. Wink

Edited by Lewian - June 25 2021 at 08:11
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 17:31
Vote now... I guess to make my job easier I should demand that I didn't know any one before, and that both of the pair are really cool (some half pairs are great but they're just half pairs). That leaves me with four, as always, sigh.
Zamboni & Battiato (1)
Heavenly Creatures / Whilst We Live In Fear Of Hell (4)
Edgar Allan Poe Suite & Azam Ali (2)
Msaki & Laibach (3)
I think I'll drop Nick's pair (somehow not quite that convinced of the second half of "Whilst We Live") and vote for the other three.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 17:38
And thanks to everyone who wrote something in appreciation of Idem or FM Einheit! My friend Mr Idem probably comes to visit me in some three weeks, let's see whether he has a clue who did something to boost his views. Cool
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 17:40
Thank you for the Poe and the Poetess votes, Lewian.  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 03:32
Happy that Lewian, Suitkees and Snicolette (and Mila and maybe others) enjoyed Zamboni - Battiato!

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 25 2021 at 03:33
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 03:32
I will listen to all the songs soon or later!
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2021 at 12:50

@ Nick

New Zealand has become a popular travel destination for nature lovers and outdoor sports enthusiasts also in continental Europe. As a result we see an increase of Kiwi artists and bands touring over here (I'm based in Switzerland). I attended f.e. concerts of Fat Freddy's Drop and The Veils. Moreover I noticed this indie rock band, Mild Orange and the reggae band Katchafire in the line-up of various festivals. I have a friend from NZ who introduced quite a few interesting Kiwi artists to me which inspired me to dig a bit deeper. I'm curious to see which Kiwi artists you will bring! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 26 2021 at 13:21
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 17:54
OK, better late than never. I am casting my votes now. Sorry for not participating in the most recent poll, but I have been rather stressed lately. Thankfully I am having some days off from work, so I have more time to listen now.

My first vote is:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 18:14
My second vote is:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 19:09
And my third vote: M. Zamboni: Dolorama / Franco Battiato: L'ombra della Luce

Generally, I am not so fond of duo votes, because very often I like one song much better than the other. So my honourable mentions are single tracks:

Reynes: Heavenly
Harry Partch: Delusion of the Fury
E.R. Rundle: Heaven
Angles of Light: New York Girls
Tom Waits: Hell Broke Luce

Edited by The Anders - July 03 2021 at 19:09
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 10:14
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

And my third vote: M. Zamboni: Dolorama / Franco Battiato: L'ombra della Luce

Generally, I am not so fond of duo votes, because very often I like one song much better than the other. So my honourable mentions are single tracks:

Happy you liked Zamboni + Battiato
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 10:39
^ I hope you're recovering well, Lorenzo.

OK, better late than never. I am casting my votes now. Sorry for not participating in the most recent poll, but I have been rather stressed lately. Thankfully I am having some days off from work, so I have more time to listen now.

My first vote is: Penderecki: Threnody for the Victims / Tallis: Spem in alium.
Both are amazing pieces of music in every way. 20. Century avant-garde and Renaissance is a very interesting combination which I must really applaud.

And like Lorenzo with his comment I would like to mention that I am very happy that you appreciated my choices. Every time I make a poll, nominate or mention a piece of music, I'm thinking about how certain individuals will react, and was really hoping that you would appreciate these choices (I really appreciate that music). I knew I was going to do Penderecki as soon as I thought of this idea, and the Tallis had come to my mind early on, but forgot at first and was going to do Delibes until I remembered. This works as a better pairing for me.

Glad to hear you're able to take some time off work. Stress can really mount.

The next poll should be coming in the next few days, and I'm not sure if I'll have time to participate. I'm not as busy now as I have been until recently, but there will be lots more to get done. Such is life.

...Generally, I am not so fond of duo votes, because very often I like one song much better than the other. So my honourable mentions are single tracks:

I can understand people not liking the duos for the reason you gave. One thing I was thinking with this is that might not just come down to what you like, but what creates a more visceral heavenly and hellish experience (the contrast). I like the additional challenge of it both in the selection and voting process, but I like to see these polls mixed up with different approaches. I even considered an additional limbo (purgatory) option for this, and then thought, no, I'm already asking quite a lot from people.

I think this is the third duos poll with Lorenzo's being the first, and then me doing one that immediately followed it, which might have seemed a bit much before, but I had already decided on my topic long before. I thought of this Heaven/Hell one about a month or two before doing it (course it's not that different from my duos of contrast one thematically). I like to think of the theme well in advance, but not give too much thought to my choices before starting the actual writing process of the OP and title.

Those top three you mentioned above were three of my favourite tracks too. I love Jacky's White Horses more than the Waits in that duo (despite liking the Waits), but I knew it very well. That kind of stuff is in my wheelhouse.

Edited by Logan - July 04 2021 at 10:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678