Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Poll now open. Listen then vote for three "duos" and mention in a post
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.82%]
5 [7.35%]
6 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
1 [1.47%]
8 [11.76%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
6 [8.82%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:34
My absolute favourite music about Heaven and Hell is probably Ulver’s “Themes from William Blake’s The Marriage of Heaven and Hell”. I absolutely adore that album. I know a lot of people don’t, and consider it one of Ulver’s weaker albums, and I can acknowledge that it is obviously a transitional album, but I think a band in transition often comes up with really interesting results. Two of my favourite Anathema albums, for example, are transitional albums (Eternity and Distant Satellites).

I shall have to think about my choices for this poll. I think this is going to be a fun one. More work, for sure - but more rewarding, too. I love this idea, Greg! Thanks!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:55
I’ll start with Hell, I guess.

Nine Inch Nails - Run Like Hell

Teeth of the Sea - Whilst We Live in Fear of Hell

And just because I always like to throw in something from New Zealand,

The House of Capricorn - The Road to Hell is Marked

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:08
You asked for it...

Not sure if this is heaven or hell yet. It might depend on my next choice. LOL
Harry Partch -Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Treats with Death and with Life Despite Death: Emergence of the Spirit

This one is probably too well known for some but it's a great tune and covers both the heaven and hell motifs.

Chris De Burgh - Spanish Train

Other Honourable mentions...

Big Pig - Devil's Song

Collective Soul - Heaven's Already Here

Alice Cooper - Hallowed Be My Name

Edited by JD - June 08 2021 at 16:17
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:21
And Heaven.

The Fire Theft - Heaven

Nemo - Aux Portes du Paradis
(I suspect a lot of people consider this filler, but I love this short instrumental track!)

Sandbender - In Heaven

And, again, a Kiwi selection,

Jordan Reyne - Heavenly Creatures

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:47
Not sure whether I have time to look for alternatives but here's one pair.
For heaven it's a friend and occasional music collaborator of mine who does some in my ears heavenly stuff at times. Idem - Suedirland Bantry Bay 2010 Filmmusik - actually that's not really a worthy title, he just names it after where he did the images. Anyway, his stuff is so peaceful! Also there's Jesus in it. Big smile 59 views up to now, I hope we can push that a bit.
For hell some truly hellish music by Ex-Einstuerzende Neubauten FM Einheit. It's called Korrektionsanstalt - correction institute. The German "Anstalt" has an actually more threatening vibe than "institute" really, and it evokes where the Nazis put people to "correct" them...

Edited by Lewian - June 08 2021 at 15:49
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 16:39
I don't have the time to comment on the choices now, but I had the chance to listen to all of them, and I'm really impressed with how people have tackled this.  Great stuff! Clap  Thanks!

As for Martin Mull, that video is unavailable to me (both the embed and at youtube, it takes me to the right video).  This TV spot is one I find.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 17:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't have the time to comment on the choices now, but I had the chance to listen to all of them, and I'm really impressed with how people have tackled this.  Great stuff! Clap  Thanks!

As for Martin Mull, that video is unavailable to me (both the embed and at youtube, it takes me to the right video).  This TV spot is one I find.
Video Removed For Space

This one works fine....funny with Mike Nesmith introducing them.  I believe it's actually the same recording, just lip-synching for the tv show.  Thanks for finding this, Logan, for others who may also encounter this difficulty.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 18:24
This will likely be my only suggestion/pairing. Going with the same band for both songs.

Love and Rockets - Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven

Love and Rockets - Bound for Hell

Edited by mathman0806 - June 09 2021 at 01:23
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 18:30
Hi everyone!
Since I'm quite busy these days I will post my heaven/hell choices now. I might manage to bring something else later but this is what I got for now.- Great theme, Logan! I hope my songs meet the criteria? Smile

HEAVEN Ofra Haza - Kol haneshama (The Entire Soul)
"Queen Margot" by Patrice Chéreau (1994) OST by Goran Bregovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHIfTC6AXw

HELL Shortparis - Страшно (Strashno, engl. Scary)
A Russian experimental group from Saint Petersburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUdteCBRX9c

p.s. I don't know how to post video links. Tongue

Edited by Mila-13 - June 08 2021 at 18:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 19:15
Tuesdays are a good day for me to hang and listen to music, for some reason.  So here is my first take on at least most (?) of Pages One and Two, thus far:

Logan:  All film music this time from you.  Great source(s).  Krzysztof Penderecki - "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima"  Begins with a very ominous sort of swarming sound.  Discordance continues in this orchestral piece, plenty of drama and suspense! The feeling of doom continues throughout.  Lots of slippy-slidyness in strings and more swarm sounds as the piece nears it’s close.  A crescendo at the end, and then to fade.  I know I would have seen that episode, just don’t remember the music from it, but it is a slippery one to find a grasp for memory, which could explain it.  Certainly fits the “hell,” aspect, which doesn’t mean I don’t like it. Léo Delibes - "The Flower Duet (Lakmé)"  This one I do know, and it is lovely, indeed.  Angelic female voices swelling with orchestra beneath.  Truly heavenly.  Also loved that film.  Xiu Xiu - "Blue Frank / Pink Room"  Certainly starts with scary screaming, the guitar comes blazing in, very wrongle-ly (not as in “wrong,” just trying to describe the sound) with lotsa echo.  There are muffled drums in it, with more screams and indiscernable words being spoken, sound like a recording in a big, empty warehouse.  Peter Ivers / David Lynch - "In Heaven (Lady in the Radiator Song)"  This I do know from the film…pretty spooky stuff in a very Lynch-ian way.  A girly-girly sing-song voice with organ underneath, sure I hope I don’t see something like that when it’s my time to go to the other side!  

Nick_h_nz:  Nine Inch Nails “Run Like Hell”  Ominous beginning (we’ll probably hear lots of ominous on the hell-side of things in this poll).  Love the atmospheric start.  Strings and some very subdued bells?  Or on keys?  Or something.  Anyway, also some quiet clackety percussive sounds.  Tension building, as a guitar? comes wailing through, but still way, way back in the mix, with the percussion increasing and whirring sounds join in…all sound is very back, if that makes any sense, which adds to the sense of “what is happening here? And why am I so spooked?”  Bowed instrument comes to the fore, kind of.  The sounds begin to recede even more and the music comes to a gradual end with a static-y sound, then, actually end abruptly.  Teeth of the Sea “Whilst We Live in Fear of Hell  Rattly-whirlies start this piece out.  Solo brass instrument languishes in, then more join in, in discordancy.  There is a feeling of medieval-ness to me, in the sounds of the brass, like hearing it through the echoes of time.  Lush electric guitar comes along, with equally lush keyboard underpinnings.  Shimmers slice across the guitar.  This piece is in no hurry, and it doesn’t harm it in the least.  Sound dies back, then a beautiful, heart-tugging trumpet? emerges from the quiet, all the while the guitar (with lots of echo added to it’s plinking) and keys continue on their way.  This was sublime to my ear, and I don’t normally care much for brass.  The piece shimmer to an end.  The House of Capricorn “The Road to Hell is Marked”  This wastes no time getting right to it, with wailing guitar and pounding drums.  Here’s some heavy rock with even some growling, sort of punkish in intensity. Lots of head-banging commences. Not a fan of the vocals, but I actually like the lead guitar part. The Fire Theft “Heaven” Acoustic piano and male vocalist.  Soulful sound with a bit of rasp to his voice.  Full on guitars, bass and drums kick in after a couple of verses.  He’s a good yeller, too.  I like this, for a heavier piece, but not as much as a couple of the “hell,” selections, so far.  Nemo “Aux Portes du Paradis  Whang-y bass hits a few notes, then a sort of shakuhachi flute and maybe harp?  There are also some sort of string-like effects on keys or guitar and some very French-sounding reedy instruments….A guitar has some decidedly Frippian slidy things going on.  I very much like this.  Sometimes the shortest things have an immense appeal.  Sandbender “In Heaven”  This has some repetitive guitar notes and some sliding string sounds, there is subdued percussion underneath.  Guitar comes even more to the fore over something that sounds vaguely like it might be vocal, but might also be strings or something else.  The percussion then moves more to the front, and the stringy thing becomes a tad Oriental in feel….then it slips into something entirely different with keys, then back to the guitar at the fore.  Everything dies back for some washy keys and sparkly things.  A spoken sort-of Indian vocal comes in (maybe from a film, it sounds a bit like).  Jordan Reyne “Heavenly Creatures  Sounds like maybe this will be an acoustic one, we’ll see.  This has a dark-folk feel, something I very much enjoy.  This is very shivery, in a great way.  There is a sense of enchantment to it, with the breaths and the steady, steady bodhran (?) beat.

JD:  Harry Partch “Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Treats with Death and with Life Despite Death: Emergence of the Spirit”  I remember seeing a documentary about Harry Partch back in the 70’s, so knew what to expect.  Intriguing guy.  Lots of disconnected feeling here and chant-y vocals.  Sort of a March of the Neanderthals, I’m thinking the vocal is “Death,” with it all being so slowed down since Death has so much time at his command (or maybe it’s a March of the Ents?).  Chris De Burgh “Spanish Train”  Castanets and quiet guitar, with a spoken vocal at the start.  There are orchestral touches, the vocalist moves from singing to speaking and back.  Big Pig “Devil's Song  Rhythmic beginning, female sultry vocal, that moves into ferocity at times.  Male chorus behind her in places.  Sounds like they’d really be fun to see live.  Collective Soul “Heaven's Already Here”  I remember this band, this is sort of ala JC Mellencamp in sound, sort of alt/rock/Americana.  Acoustic sound for the most part.  Nice vocals, clean production.  Enjoyable song.  Alice Cooper “Hallowed Be My Name"  This one is known to me, vintage Alice. 

Lewian:   Idem “Suedirland Bantry Bay 2010 Filmmusik”  Piano and some whirry thing, there is also the sound of maybe people speaking, but not intelligibly so.  An organ-y thing enters the soundscape, or a concertina or the like.  It is very relaxing, not in a boring way.  F. M. Einheit “Korrektionsanstalt”  This one goes right to my eadrums after the soothing previous piece, and with good reason, considering the subject matter.  Lots of percussive sounds and a rising and falling whhhhhwwwwwwwaaaaa, with sounds of distantly blatting sheep, groans, cries and shrieky things and the like.    Sort of a heartbeat, underwater sound enters, along with some drippy sounds.  A menacing tone is heard for just a moment, then almost-bells and distant, shrieky guitars and an almost purring sound, now with underground drip sounds.  I certainly do NOT want to go to this place, but it makes for interesting listening. 

Edited by Snicolette - June 08 2021 at 19:17
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 23:23
Thanks Snicolette for the commentary.

I'm going to say a little about each of them including my own selections.  Listened once carefully to most of these, this time I'm listening through again, and not very carefully with the ones that I'm repeat listening, with minimal comments (sorry that this does not compare better to Nickie's descriptions):

My choices:

Krzysztof Penderecki - "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima": Penderecki composed this in 1960 for 52 string instruments and as one can gather by the title, this piece was dedicated to the memory of those killed by the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima in Japan -- a hellish event.  This music was also used in Twin Peaks 2017 tv series return referencing a nuclear blast.  It's a very serious and shocking I might say piece of music.  Devastating is how one person described it who brought it to my attention over a decade ago.  It's nice, I inappropriately responded.

Léo Delibes - "The Flower Duet (Lakmé)": As mentioned, I got into this because of the Vampire film The Hunger, which also got me more into Schubert, Bach, Bauhaus and others.  This piece is a duet for soprano and mezzo-soprano, and is from the opera Lakmé, which premiered in Paris in 1883.  I have found it achingly beautiful.  It's quite heavenly in a rather ethereal way, yet also makes me feel quite sad.

Xiu Xiu - "Blue Frank / Pink Room": This is from Xiu Xiu's tribute album to Twin Peaks called Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks.  I don't recall that music from Twin Peaks, but the heavy, frenetic, noisy rock and sinister riffing gets me going.  

Peter Ivers / David Lynch - "In Heaven (Lady in the Radiator Song)": A naive yet rather creepy heaven song scenario courtesy of Eraserhead.

--------------------------------------

Snicolette's choices:

Atlio Adrian Matteucci (aka Athy) & Jesse Ahmann - "To One In Paradise" (from their Edgar Allan Poe Suite):   I really love this.  I love the cello and electric harp?  Very melancholic, profound, interesting changes in mood with a quite avant-garde aspect.  I found it very moving. Sorry if my description is lacking, but it's a superb piece.  

Azam Ali performing Hildegard Von Bingen's, "O Vis Aeternitatis":  Beautiful and haunting.  I find this to be a wonderful rendition.

Martin Mull - "They Never Met": Interesting change of pace; lots of fun. J

Jackson C. Frank's "Dialogue" - I Want to Be Alone:  Love this melancholic piece, and find it very moving. 

------------------------------------ 

Nick's choices:

Nine Inch Nails - Run Like Hell: I have truly enjoyed everything Ghosts that I have heard from NIN.  I love the qualities of this, and there is a Lynchian feel to the music (I know they are acquaitned and have worked together).

Teeth of the Sea - Whilst We Live in Fear of Hell:  Just wonderful.  Love the post rock qualities, and i find it quite hypnotising in a way.  Reminds me very much of something.  I'm guessing this is based on the soundtrack from the horror film A Field of England?

The House of Capricorn - The Road to Hell is Marked: I am not generally that into death rock or black metal type things, but I liked that dark stoner and sludgy dark 'n heavy rock vibe of this.  I genuinely enjoyed it.

------------------------------------------

JD's choices:

Harry Partch -Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Treats with Death and with Life Despite Death: Emergence of the Spirit:  I think I've heard that before as I'm quite familiar with Parch.  Odd, but I dig it, but then I dig odd.

Chris De Burgh - Spanish Train:  Fully enjoyed that.

Big Pig - Devil's Song: Who wouldn't want to bonk a big pig? Also enjoyed that.

Collective Soul - Heaven's Already Here: I enjoyed this slice of Americana.

Alice Cooper - Hallowed Be My Name:  The great Alice Cooper; love this song.

------------------------------------------------

Nick's choices (this time with heaven):

The Fire Theft - Heaven: Beautiful, very touching.

Nemo - Aux Portes du Paradis: If it's filler the fill me more.  Really like it.  Short but sweet, does leave me wanting more, and that's hardly a bad thing.

Sandbender - In Heaven: I enjoyed this too, and like the "ethno" qualities.

Jordan Reyne - Heavenly Creatures: When I saw the title I wonder if this was related to Peter Jackson's New Zealand film Heavenly Creatures (a film I liked very much with Kate Winslet and first saw in the mid 90s). I don't know if it was inspired by that, but I enjoyed it.

--------------------------------------------------

Lewian's choices:

Idem - Suedirland Bantry Bay 2010 Filmmusik: I really love this so tranquil and lovely.  When you said it has Jesus in it I worried that there might be a jump-Jesus scare in the video to shatter the serenity.

Ex-Einstuerzende Neubauten FM Einheit - Korrektionsanstalt:  Unnerving...

---------------------------------------------------

Mathman's choices:  

Love and Rockets - Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven: very enjoyable, and I have wondered.

Love and Rockets - Bound for Hell: Quite a different change of pace to a more rock n' roll song, although it still has a kind of alt. whimsy.

A very interesting pairing from the same act.

------------------------------------------------------------

Mila's choices (I think your choices are good thanks):

Elo Hi - Ofra Haza, Goran Bregović (The Entire Soul).  I liked what I've heard of Ofra Haza before.  I really appreciate this kind of ethnic music.

Shortparis - Страшно: very interesting, a modern Russian group with middle-eastern qualities.  Quite hypnotic; could play this at a rave.

By the way, a trick to embedding videos that I use (there is also an insert movie option if that is enabled above your post) is to copy the unique identifier number/letter combo code after v= in the youtube video address and add [ tube] tags.  For instance, in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHIfTC6AXw, CVHIfTC6AXw is the part you want. Then type [ tube] and [/ tube] without the spaces around it.  So, again you do this without the spaces [tube ] CVHIfTC6AXw[ /tube]

Without the spaces it becomes

And your other one is

If you quote people's posts you can also see how it's done.

Edited by Logan - June 08 2021 at 23:46
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 23:25
Here's a heaven/hell duo from the same band. CMX are a Finnish band listed in the archives as progressive metal. It's not for me to say if it's the right place for them, but it certainly isn't the whole truth. 

The first one is called "Taivaan lapset" which means "children of Heaven" and the other is "Epäonnisten liikemiesten Helvetti" which means "The Hell of unfortunate businessmen". These will most likely be my nominations, but I'll confirm that when it's time. 

CMX - Taivaan lapset

CMX - Epäonnisten liikemiesten helvetti

Here's another hell-themed song. Haikara were a Finnish prog band who started in 1970s. "Manala" is a mythological underworld, place of the dead, or hell if you like. This is the closing track from their debut that's easily one of the best Finnish prog albums. 

Haikara - Manala 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 00:29

a couple more a bit later Tongue

Edited by Cristi - June 09 2021 at 01:18
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 01:14
Cristi - what's your second song? It isn't available for me.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 01:17
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Cristi - what's your second song? It isn't available for me.

I'll edit and post another link
It's Joey tempest - Outside Heaven. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 03:43

People must mention at least one heavenly piece AND one hellish piece to be considered for the nomination process.

What happens if a track is about both heaven and hell?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:34
Thanks to Greg for expanding the poll's rules to include a much wider range of music than just songs with "heaven" or "hell" in the title. Yesterday, in spite of racking my brain, all I could come up (besides the usual suspects, such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest) were Slayer's "South of Heaven" and Venom's "Welcome to Hell"LOL.

Here are my first two picks. I hope more will be forthcoming. My "heavenly" song does have "paradise" in the title, though it was chosen more for the quality of the music than because of words. The song is "Whispers of Paradise" by Anúna:

My "hellish" song, on the other hand, references an evil creature of fiction that may be even scarier than Satan - none other than Great Cthulhu (though with a simplified spelling). Here's Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu":

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:55
Again, some of my suggestions in previous polls could have fit here... I was thinking about Kreng, for example, and others, but here we go. A first couple of bands that you know already from me (for those who have followed these polls), and it's an odd couple - they're very far apart... But somehow the conclusion of the first song will need the second one... (I have to come up with some kind of argument, no?).

King Missile - Heaven:

Noir Désir - 666.667 Club:

A second couple is also an odd one, but in an other way: maybe heaven doesn't sound that jolly and hell not that dark...

Einstürzende Neubauten - Paradiesseits:
(you can find translated lyrics here; click on the track title and then on "translation"...)

The British Expeditionary Force - All Those Demons

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 07:57
1) HELL:

Massimo Zamboni feat. Lalli & Marina Parente: Dolorama (Painrama?)

In this song verse after verse we go deeper and deeper into pain, which reaches its climax when Marina Parente's opera singing arrives. In the final verse Lalli seems to sing the way out of pain, and the last words are We will save ourselves.

Under a glass of ice stars Under a sun-squeezed wine press An overflow of light, blinding with snow Of black, of collapse, of mud Too much else to understand The experience of pain Too much to participate in anymore Than with full eyes and heart Too much else to understand Pain dimension Too much more to suffer anymore Than with full eyes and heart For the most exhausted bodies For the beaten spirits For those marks on his face For those marks on the clothes Too high to accept Any appeal to reason Dictatorship of life that It calls us to forget Under a glass of stars A collapse of black A lazy ruin of smoke towers Above an emptied floor Of sense and breath An overflow of blinding black light In identical forms Same colors Pressed juices We will save ourselves.

2) HEAVEN:

Franco Battiato: L'ombra della Luce (The Shadow of Light), sung in Arabic language, live, Baghdad 1992

The lyrics of the song are inspired by the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Rescue me from opposing forces, night, asleep, when they are not conscious when my path, it is uncertain And never leave me And never leave me on my own Bring me in the highest areas to one of your reign of peace: It 's time to leave this cycle of lives. And never leave me And never leave me on my own Why, the joys of the deepest affection or lighter passages of the heart are only a shadow of light, Remember, as I am unhappy Far from your laws; how not to waste the time I left. And never leave me And never leave me on my own Why, the peace that I felt in some monasteries, or the vibrant understanding of all the senses in celebration, are only the shadow of the light.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 09 2021 at 08:21
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 07:59

Snicolette's choices:

Atlio Adrian Matteucci (aka Athy) & Jesse Ahmann - "To One In Paradise" (from their Edgar Allan Poe Suite):   I really love this.  I love the cello and electric harp?  Very melancholic, profound, interesting changes in mood with a quite avant-garde aspect.  I found it very moving. Sorry if my description is lacking, but it's a superb piece.  

Azam Ali performing Hildegard Von Bingen's, "O Vis Aeternitatis":  Beautiful and haunting.  I find this to be a wonderful rendition.

Martin Mull - "They Never Met": Interesting change of pace; lots of fun. J

Jackson C. Frank's "Dialogue" - I Want to Be Alone:  Love this melancholic piece, and find it very moving. 

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary, Logan.  It is indeed electric harp that Athy is playing.  Jackson C. Frank also wrote "Blues Run The Game," which was a big cover tune in the 1960's folk club scene.  Azam Ali, as you probably remember, I brought here before, she's kind of in her very  own league, for me, always stretching her boundaries.  Martin Mull, an old favourite for the humour in the piece....Plus!  Bonus of heaven and hell being in the same song.  I also toyed with pairing this with Kaleidoscope's version of "Oh Death," (for the mention of both in one tune) but then would have had to find another pairing for Jackson and I felt that perhaps 6 songs in one would be too many, for people's time allotment.  

Great idea for a subject, I did have a lot of trouble coming up with things that I felt weren't too familiar.  Another potential candidate was The Psychedelic Furs with "Heaven," though I thought that might be too known, which I try to avoid here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>