Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amorphis for Progressive Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amorphis for Progressive Metal
    Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:40
I would love to be able to submit reviews for Amorphis. They have amazing riffs and combine many different genres into hard hitting progressive metal.

The Bee:

metalmusicarchives lists 11 albums as progressive metal.

Edited by javajeff - June 08 2021 at 14:41
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:43
I definitely think they should be reconsidered. They have been submitted and rejected before, but I do think they have become more and more prog over the years, and should be reassessed by their latest albums. I can understand why they may have been rejected previously, but the band have…well…progressed since then…. 🤪

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:49
I've seen some OBVIOUS (well, I'm assertive here) prog metal bands rejected here. I don't think Amorphis is an outright prog metal band. I think Cradle of Filth is far more progressive than them.

This post has been written by a huge Amorphis fan.

P.S. BTW, I prefer their pre-Joutsen era. Their "new" albums have lost their charm for me, sadly...

Edited by Shadowyzard - June 08 2021 at 14:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:02
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

I would love to be able to submit reviews for Amorphis. They have amazing riffs and combine many different genres into hard hitting progressive metal.

The Bee:

metalmusicarchives lists 11 albums as progressive metal.

javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 16:01

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126625

Edited by javajeff - June 08 2021 at 16:01
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 16:08
They've been suggested 8 or 9 times in total since February 2006, 3 times in 2011 alone. The second of those three threads is actually still open, and was revived as recently as May 2018, but despite a couple of prominent special collaborators expressing their desire for them to be included over the years, they have never received sufficient support from the prog metal team as a whole to get them in.

Here are the last three threads:

March 2011 (revived in May 2018)

Two members of the current prog metal team have previously voted 'yes' for them, and the one who seemed most opposed to their addition no longer seems to be active in the team, since despite his profile on here suggesting he is still a member, he doesn't show up in the progfreak charts anymore.

Talking of progfreak, it seems that the subject of Amorphis's inclusion here was discussed in the collab zone again about four or five months ago: https://progfreak.com/Amorphis-51491.html?path=pa/recent. That chart certainly looks strange for a rejection lol! The old no votes, of which there were plenty, don't show up in the recent history though.

I guess Amorphis are simply not destined to be included here, and it looks like we just have to accept that I'm afraid.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 16:13
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

They've been suggested 8 or 9 times in total since February 2006, 3 times in 2011 alone. The second of those three threads is actually still open, and was revived as recently as May 2018, but despite a couple of prominent special collaborators expressing their desire for them to be included over the years, they have never received sufficient support from the prog metal team as a whole to get them in.

Here are the last three threads:

March 2011 (revived in May 2018)

Two members of the current prog metal team have previously voted 'yes' for them, and the one who seemed most opposed to their addition no longer seems to be active in the team, since despite his profile on here suggesting he is still a member, he doesn't show up in the progfreak charts anymore.

Talking of progfreak, it seems that the subject of Amorphis's inclusion here was discussed in the collab zone again about four or five months ago: https://progfreak.com/Amorphis-51491.html?path=pa/recent. That chart certainly looks strange for a rejection lol! The old no votes, of which there were plenty, don't show up in the recent history though.

I guess Amorphis are simply not destined to be included here, and it looks like we just have to accept that I'm afraid.

Actually, they weren”t discussed. I accidentally moved Amorphis, and then changed them back. So there is still potential for discussion, but I guess they would need 100% of the present team to vote to accept them. My vote is obviously for yes, but I don’t know about others.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 16:17
Well, if the other current team members have never voted before, then there's nothing to be lost by throwing the suggestion back into the chart and letting it run its course! You never know...at the tenth attempt a miracle might actually happen! LOL
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 00:20
I love the band and my prog ears are satisfied listening to them for whatever that is worth. I can get bored of straight rock or metal, but Amorphis does satisfy.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 00:40
The thing I find amusing about Amorphis is, to touch on a recent discussion elsewhere on the forum (and one which pops up every couple of months for all eternity), they are far more widely recognised as prog than many of the bands within PA.

NIN were a band that was brought up in that other recent discussion, and one of the arguments for them NOT being prog was that Wikipedia, RYM, etc. do not list them as prog. I personally don’t use such sites as “evidence” of what is or isn’t prog, but in the case of Amorphis they are described as progressive metal. On our sister site, Metal Archives, progressive metal. They routinely turn up on FB on prog pages. They are clearly recognised as prog outside PA, but within PA are not prog “enough”.

Personally, even though my vote is yes to include them, it’s not the end of the world if they are rejected (again!), because I probably listen to more music that’s not on PA than is. I definitely don’t need to see a band on PA to validate its worth for me.

javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 01:59
But it needs to be added if you want to review a band. It is a review site, so I don't understand why they can't be added. There is already a huge prog related section.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 02:03

But it needs to be added if you want to review a band. It is a review site, so I don't understand why they can't be added. There is already a huge prog related section.

what's progressive about them? They are competent skilled musicians, other than that, I'm not surprised they've been rejected before to be honest. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 03:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

what's progressive about them? They are competent skilled musicians, other than that, I'm not surprised they've been rejected before to be honest. 

And there you go. As Cristi is on the Prog Metal team, and it would need to unanimous for them to be accepted, they are rejected once more.

Everyone’s idea of what is progressive is different. I think they are more progressive than a heck of a lot of bands that are already in the Prog Metal section of PA, but it is what it is. You’ll have to review the band on a different site, if you want to review them. Sorry! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 03:33
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

And there you go. As Cristi is on the Prog Metal team, and it would need to unanimous for them to be accepted, they are rejected once more.

Everyone’s idea of what is progressive is different. I think they are more progressive than a heck of a lot of bands that are already in the Prog Metal section of PA, but it is what it is. You’ll have to review the band on a different site, if you want to review them. Sorry! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not that different.  I wouldn't say there more progressive than "a lot" of bands here on PA. LOL You'll have to be more specific LOL

javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:41
I think people don't want to create the huge catalog of albums that is required. I wouldn't be surprised if the setup is just too much work for someone. A new band has one album for example.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:43

I think people don't want to create the huge catalog of albums that is required. I wouldn't be surprised if the setup is just too much work for someone. A new band has one album for example.

that's a rude thing to say. 
You're basically accusing us of laziness. Thank you... Ouch
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 05:08
Adding the albums would be no problem at all really. If the band were ever to make it here then any registered member could contribute to the task of completing the discography. Incidentally, Amorphis's co-founder and guitarist Esa Holopainen released an excellent self-titled solo album as 'Silver Lake by Esa Holopainen' at the end of May. This album was facilitated by the past year of lockdowns, meaning that he was unable to tour with the band, and includes some superb guest vocalists. Again, it's something that probably wouldn't be widely regarded as true prog metal on here, but it contains some really excellent melodic metal for those that enjoy that particular genre. Playlist on YouTube Music if anyone fancies a listen.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 05:44
That sounds great! Thanks!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 09:01
Not to be a party pooper, but I would really love to see an updated, outright bio written on this band.  I have been inundated by having to write bios lately, and quiet frankly, it's very time consuming, even for the short bios as some bands have little bits of information all over the internet.

That being said, I decided a few days ago not to move a band from the suggestion thread to the team thread without the guidelines having been followed.  It's just too much work for one person especially with the amount of suggestions the progressive metal team gets.  So basically, what I need before this even gets considered again, is a full updated bio (if it is well written, you will get the credit), a picture of the band for the bio page, and a discography.  There must also be links that we can stream.  

This would be tremendously helpful and it is also the guidelines for submitting new bands through the suggestion thread.  Cristi posted the link to the guidelines already, but here it is again....

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122381

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 00:59
New album Halo just came out last month:

Edited by Gordy - March 14 2022 at 01:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>