Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Instruments in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What are your favorite wind instruments in prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [40.00%]
10 [18.18%]
4 [7.27%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
3 [5.45%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Instruments in Prog
    Posted: October 21 2021 at 10:22
Only 1 other lonely oboe supporter out there?  And where is the cor anglais?  I mean you've got didgeridoos.  I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Roy Wood is a killer bagpipes player.  I saw him play them in Scotland, naturally.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 18:29
The clarinet in the 1977 track Quietest Moments by the Tramp is just too beautiful. Plus, I'm missing the Melodica in the list. 
Not for rent. To any God or government.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:30
Oh yes, now I am a senior!! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:29
Peter Gabriel also plays the flute but I think I prefer the other guys over him. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:28
I enjoy hearing flutes in prog rock. Especially Jethro Tull, Camel, and early King Crimson. Rhayader or Supertwister(Andy Latimer) is my highlight for Camel, The Court of The Crimson King(Ian MacDonald) for King Crimson, and probably Bouree or My God(Ian Anderson) for Jethro Tull. It is too bad rock bands do not usually have flutes in their line up, I suppose they are not a heavy metal instrument. 
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 09:02
I am listening to BBT underfall yard remastered so its Brass today. Trumpet.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 18:22
Not that I voted for it, but I'm glad the crumhorn was included, and even has 2 votes so far. What an odd looking older instrument, with it's humorous kazoo sound. I thank Gryphon and Malicorne for showcasing it in their music.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:51
Flute. So good

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 09:48
Tubas. I much prefer them in the alternative version of 21st Century Schizoid Man.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think sax usually works better with jazz or fusion.

Or Van der Graaf Generator.

The occasional KC appearance, too.

Also, anything with Wayne Shorter (obviously).

Not to mention Dick Parry's stunning contributions to Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:44
I have to say I’m disappointed I’m still the only vote for clarinets! 😄

Nothing beats a bass clarinet, and clarinets in general are the best….

Trumpets and trombones are fantastic, too!

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:18
I know I'm prone to do multiple votes polls quite often, but on this one I really wanted people to have to work: thus, the words of reasoning I'm seeing as you tease out your decisions! 

I, too, would have voted for multiple categories--many of them! But forced myself to really come up with my most prized sounds (and songs). The magic of Jon Hassell, Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Wheeler, Lee Laughnane, Herb Alpert, Miles Davis, Chris Botti, Paol Fresu on Huong Thanh's "Cây Truc Xinh (Le bambou gracieux)", Henry Lowther on Alan White's "Darkness", make the trumpet family the most impactful for me, though the flute and oboe families may be my favorites. I also LOVE me some baroque/"mediæval" recorder play and clarinets, bassoons, and all Middle Eastern/Indian, Asian woodwinds. I think it fair to say that you could probably take out the guitars in lieu of winds and I'd be a happy camper.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tuba solo at 2:25....

Tony's got such style!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The bass clarinet is probably my absolute favourite instrument to hear, so I voted for clarinets.
Clarinets in general evoke a really wonderful atmosphere and tone, but the bass clarinet is just damn sexy. It doesn’t burst bring joy to the cockles of my heart, but to the sub-cockle region, too.

Trumpets and trombones are probably next in my list. I love when bands forgo traditional instruments and use a trumpet and/or trombone instead.

Saxophone follows, and of course can vary wildly depending on what type of sax is played (or, of course how it is played).

Rounding out my top five is the euphonium, potentially for patriotic reasons, as so much of the music Don McGlashan has been a part of over the years, and across many groups, has included his wonderful playing of the euphonium.

I actually really like bagpipes in music, too, but I think most people tend to think of Scottish bagpipes, and I don’t think I own anything that has these bagpipes playing. However, I have a lot of music in my collection that use bagpipes from other countries. The bagpipes from different countries all sound quite different from each other.

Like me, this is a terribly difficult poll to choose only one. Also, my tastes are pretty similar to yours. (One of my daughters played euphonium growing up--her choice!--and the another played oboe and, later, saxophones.) (The other two: cello & piano, and double bass.)

Like I said, though, cor anglais:  heavenly….

Drew Fisher
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 00:55
My answer is yes.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 23:52
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think sax usually works better with jazz or fusion.

Or Van der Graaf Generator.

The occasional KC appearance, too.

Also, anything with Wayne Shorter (obviously).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 23:29
I voted for bagpipes. But honestly, it all depends on the music and the performer.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 18:48
Tuba solo at 2:25....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 18:40
Sax just a little bit ahead of flute. Both are great, though. I'm also a big fan of clarinet.

Want to acknowledge that I've heard some great use of brass in a few albums that helped open my ears to their effectiveness in prog settings:

French Horn: Maxophone - s/t
Trumpet: King Crimson - Red (Fallen Angel)
Trombone: Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion (Cardiac Rebellion)
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 17:51
Saxophone
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>