Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Instruments in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What are your favorite wind instruments in prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [40.00%]
10 [18.18%]
4 [7.27%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
3 [5.45%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Instruments in Prog
    Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:03
If you'd like to cite specific instances for your favorite uses, please, be my guest.

I'm a fan of the trumpet, oboe, recorder, and flute families--probably in that order. 

To my ears, the cor anglais (a member of the oboe family) is the most beautiful instrument ever devised. 

P.S. Who knew that the pipe organ was officially classified as a wind instrument?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:21
Perhaps electric bagpipes ? ;)

Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:24
Flute and Sax, though any other is always welcomed.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:25
Didgeridoos are neat. So are flutes and French horns.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:29
The trombone because it's such a mischievous instrument.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:47
I'm sure I can recall many great wind instrument performances in prog, but Bill Hunt's French horn playing on the first ELO album is the only occasion on which I've actually felt instilled with a desire to learn to play said instrument. Such a lovely majestic sound...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:48
Why no love for the heckelphone? :(
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:50
Bassoon me up, captain. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:07
Flute and sax mostly. Although bagpipes can be quite cool in prog; in fact, it's a lot of fun when you throw in the whole kitchen sink (flute, horns, strings, pipes, etc.)...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:11
I thought I could do multiple votes here but I guess not. Flute is my favorite. Sax would be a close second although I think sax usually works better with jazz or fusion.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 18:22
More Bassoons!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:32
The flute & clarinet in I Talk To The Wind, the descending flute part in Silently Falling.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 22:22
I love them all but flutes are probably the most prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 22:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I love them all but flutes are probably the most prog

And along with saxes probably the most widely used wind instruments in the world of prog.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 23:07
Flute has a special place in my heart during prog pieces. One of my all-time favorites, and go-to, to demonstrate this is Camel Supertwister:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 00:11
No vote. I think any of them can sound great depending on how they're used. 

Ok, pan flutes never sound good and I'm not sure about bagpipes either... LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 00:27
Voted Tuba because of SOT
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 01:24
The bass clarinet is probably my absolute favourite instrument to hear, so I voted for clarinets.
Clarinets in general evoke a really wonderful atmosphere and tone, but the bass clarinet is just damn sexy. It doesn’t burst bring joy to the cockles of my heart, but to the sub-cockle region, too.

Trumpets and trombones are probably next in my list. I love when bands forgo traditional instruments and use a trumpet and/or trombone instead.

Saxophone follows, and of course can vary wildly depending on what type of sax is played (or, of course how it is played).

Rounding out my top five is the euphonium, potentially for patriotic reasons, as so much of the music Don McGlashan has been a part of over the years, and across many groups, has included his wonderful playing of the euphonium.

I actually really like bagpipes in music, too, but I think most people tend to think of Scottish bagpipes, and I don’t think I own anything that has these bagpipes playing. However, I have a lot of music in my collection that use bagpipes from other countries. The bagpipes from different countries all sound quite different from each other.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 01:59
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I actually really like bagpipes in music, too, but I think most people tend to think of Scottish bagpipes, and I don’t think I own anything that has these bagpipes playing. However, I have a lot of music in my collection that use bagpipes from other countries. The bagpipes from different countries all sound quite different from each other.

I generally detest Scottish bagpipes, they always seem to make a sound (to my ears) resembling cats being strangled.  However Uilleann (Irish) pipes are a different kettle of fish entirely and I find them very soothing to listen to, and really learned to appreciate their beauty from being utilised on several Enya tracks .

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 02:19
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I generally detest Scottish bagpipes, they always seem to make a sound (to my ears) resembling cats being strangled.  However Uilleann (Irish) pipes are a different kettle of fish entirely and I find them very soothing to listen to, and really learned to appreciate their beauty from being utilised on several Enya tracks .

I guess because I grew up in a very “Scottish” town, I’ve always liked the bagpipes. But I don’t really like them too much outside their traditional playing. There are a couple of exceptions where either bagpipes have been used, or guitars have been made to sound like bagpipes, that have been really effective, and that I absolutely love - but they are very much an exception.

But, apart from the Uillean pipes mentioned, there are a whole range of bagpipes across the world, that can often add a really neat flavour to the music. Smallman, for example, are a Bulgarian folk metal band that I first discovered by way of the following album, that uses Bulgarian bagpipes - гайда (gaida),

Gaida is a general term used for bagpipes across Southeastern Europe, but the sounds of individual gaida can differ quite a bit from country to country, even though the instruments tend to look very similar. This is because, eg, different countries treat the hide of the bags in different ways, and use different constructions, shapes and materials for the chanters. Even within Bulgaria there are two distinct types of gaida, that make very different sounds!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>