Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Euro 2020 Football Championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Poll Question: Which team do you support?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
2 [6.25%]
7 [21.88%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
2 [6.25%]
1 [3.13%]
2 [6.25%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
4 [12.50%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:00
Scotland created lots of changes, some pretty good, Czech scored 2 great goals, keeper should never get beaten from that far out on the second.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 15:12
Well done Slovakia and Sweden. I'm especially happy that Spain couldn't win. By far, the most boring "big" European team for me. So much control, but hollow rather than with passion. Even Greece's defensive strategies are far more interesting for me.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 15:44
I've checked this list three times now and still can't find Canada.
No Vote !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 16:59
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Well done Slovakia and Sweden. I'm especially happy that Spain couldn't win. By far, the most boring "big" European team for me. So much control, but hollow rather than with passion. Even Greece's defensive strategies are far more interesting for me.

I actually find it always very interesting to see Spain play. They play this very characteristic concept football, and I'm always curious how well it works out, why, or why not. The illusion of total control - how do they do it, how can the opponents spoil it, will they use it for their own good, and what if the opponents try the same thing? Deep questions of life treated here. Tongue  The players they now have on the pitch are surely not the grandmasters of the past (Iniesta was maybe never the best player of the planet, but surely for many years he was the one I loved most to watch, a true genius), but apprentices. For this style they make too many mistakes and often they don't think fast enough. I'm curious how fast they learn, or whether they ever will. Still on a good day they can shred a lesser team to pieces (as they've done with Germany not long ago).  Sweden had the two biggest chances in the game (which clearly shows that the concept didn't fully work out), but Spain had about six pretty good ones; a win would've been OK as well. It's not that generally I want Spain to win, still, they always put up something out of the ordinary, and I can appreciate this. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 23:19
^ The illusion of control? Lol. Spain ALWAYS tries to possess the ball, and even if they play offensively in the main, their way of doing that is a drag for me. I laugh at the people who always say that playing offensively is more valuable than playing defensively. For me, Italy plays excellent offensive football, whereas Spain does it unexcitingly.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 00:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Scotland created lots of changes, some pretty good, Czech scored 2 great goals, keeper should never get beaten from that far out on the second.

My initial reaction to the second goal was that Marshall would have been struggling to save that shot even if still on his line but having seen it played back (umpteen horrible times) I think yeah, brilliant piece of audacious skill but an international keeper should be saving that. The most annoying thing for me was that Schick aside, the Czech republic are bang average at best and were there for the taking. Once the Scots went behind and had to chase the game, we were always vulnerable to counter attacks (it could have finished 5 v 3 to the Czechs all told) Tierney was missed and Steve Clarke surely regrets playing Patterson at RWB and not starting with Che Adams up top to assist Dykes. It was, as I anticipated, route one 'Stoke' bollocks most of the time. I'm dreading the England game as I fear we might get a real slapping.Ouch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 01:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

but an international keeper should be saving that.

E322-Xe-WEAo-ZCr-O
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 03:33

I laugh at the people who always say that playing offensively is more valuable than playing defensively. 

...which, as you probably know, was totally not my point.

Well, maybe one can say the Spanish style alone won't win them tournaments, they need genius players on top of that, and it doesn't look like they have them this time (in 2018 those who were there were clearly past their prime, and I enjoyed Croatia tearing them apart as I had enjoyed Spain in their best days, say 2012 Euro final). But at least they have some style. Not many teams can claim that. 

Edited by Lewian - June 15 2021 at 03:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I laugh at the people who always say that playing offensively is more valuable than playing defensively. 

...which, as you probably know, was totally not my point.

Yes. Wink

Also, my "laughter" doesn't mean that I'm right. It is a matter of enjoyment, after all. For some or most, teams that mainly focus on attacking can be treasured, notwithstannding "how" they do it. I just like to see the shades of grey in virtually anything. Some defensive strategies are far more fun for me than some attacking organisations.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 03:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

But at least they have some style. Not many teams can claim that. 

That "style" is definitely not my thing. Their formations' all movements are like that of a wind-up mouse toy's. And, it is not an exciting thing for me to watch a giant toy mouse in motion.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 05:04
Spain's style is great when they have that incisive thrust in the last 20 yards which they had in they pomp and they just shred teams. If they don't have that end product it just becomes endless pretty passing possession ball.
Ian

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 15:10
And Germany do Spain's style without the style... Wacko
OK that was against the world champions. One lucky point against Portugal and a 2-1 last minute win against Hungary is my plan to get out of the group.

Edited by Lewian - June 15 2021 at 15:11
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 17:33
Mbappe should never be offside, he can start 5 yards onside and blow the defender away.
Ian

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 18:08
Fantastic crowd in Budapest, so nice to see a LOUD , full stadium. The Magyars put up a good fight but they failed in the end to upset the powerful Portuguese. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 23:46
Magyars were very good indeed. Clap

I like Germany better than France in general, but France deserved to win... They have a great chance of winning the championship, as became obvious yesterday. Just curious... What the hell is VAR there for? France was not given their deserved penalty after the score was 1-0... It was obvious... If Germany had scored a goal and the match had ended with that final score, it would have been a huge unfairness for France.

Edited by Shadowyzard - June 15 2021 at 23:49
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 02:58

Magyars were very good indeed. Clap

I like Germany better than France in general, but France deserved to win... They have a great chance of winning the championship, as became obvious yesterday. Just curious... What the hell is VAR there for? France was not given their deserved penalty after the score was 1-0... It was obvious... If Germany had scored a goal and the match had ended with that final score, it would have been a huge unfairness for France.

Germany scored the goal for France in order to make up for that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 03:02
^ This is anachronism, dude! But funny anyway! LOLClap
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 04:50
I was surprised the penalty wasn't given as I didn't think you could tackle from behind any more. It was a superb tackle and if he did touch him it was hardly anything. I'd give the defender the nod there. 
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 05:10
^ The defender touched the "offender" before touching the ball, so it was a clear penalty.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 06:01
You are allowed to touch the attacker, it has to be deemed careless or reckless to become a foul. It's not a non-contact sport.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>