Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After a short interlude

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who returned stronger and better than ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.06%]
9 [14.52%]
17 [27.42%]
1 [1.61%]
0 [0.00%]
23 [37.10%]
7 [11.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After a short interlude
    Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:37
Many of our heroes took a break during their careers; which band returned in triumph?

(If you don't like my interpretation of 'break' or 'hiatus' please feel free to enter another poll - it's supposed to be a bit of fun)

Edited by Rick1 - June 14 2021 at 07:05
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:41
4 of these are not come backs from hiatus 
Confused
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:48
Works For Me! Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 14 2021 at 06:48
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

4 of these are not come backs from hiatus 
Confused

Which ones?  
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:58
ELP - self declared break in 1975
Genesis - self declared break in 1979 (mainly help to Collins)
KC - resurrection of the band by Fripp after 6 years
Magma - inactive 82/83 - other projects
Moody Blues - hiatus due to exhaustion 1973 - reconvened later in decade
VDGG - split 72, reformed 75
Yes - split 79, reformed 80 (granted brief hiatus)

What else do you want?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:59
Not sure if I could call it a come back. Maybe in those days people thought it was, but I think it's a tendency we've seen over the years, after a few decades.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 07:40
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

What else do you want?

no need to sound so arrogant and aggressive for once...

three bands were not in any "officially declared" hiatus - that's Genesis, Yes and VDGG. 

Moody Blues, KC and Magma split up for a while, indeed.

I was wrong about ELP, forgot there were 4 years between BSS and Works, read someplace they toured extensively and were tired & burnt out after the BSS tour. 

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 07:49

What else do you want?

three bands were not in any "officially declared" hiatus - that's Genesis, Yes and VDGG. 

I was wrong about ELP, forgot there were 4 years between BSS and Works, read someplace they toured extensively and were tired & burnt out after the BSS tour. 

Sorry about the terse tone but does it have to be 'official' for it to be a legitimate poll?  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 07:52

What else do you want?

Sorry about the terse tone but does it have to be 'official' for it to be a legitimate poll?  

Sometimes bands make statements to the press, announce the world (like poor Anathema did last year, such a shame). Sometimes we just hear no news from them... 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 08:41
From what I remember there was no "split" of Yes. In those days, news of such bands came via Melody Maker and I remember reading the headline that Buggles had joined Yes, but I don't remember anything about a split before that, just a sudden (and very surprising) announcement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:01
None of those acts returned stronger and better than ever after the short interludes in my opinion. I'll give Godbluff a vote because I do think that it's a strong album, but I prefer the three that preceded it. And VdGG was still strong after the short interlude.

Speaking of Magma, since I love Magma. I like Merci, but it is still the weakest of its discography for me. I prefer the related Offering.
Magma had a very strong return with KA, and I prefer E-Re to that, after the band's long interlude between studio albums.

Discipline is of course loved by many, but it doesn't really resonate with me. I still recognise it to be strong, and after Godbluff it would be my second choice from my subjective stance.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:03
Yes - Drama
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:07
Drama and Duke may be better than their direct predecessors, but Godbluff is the only album that qualifies.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:08
I've voted Yes because Drama is a great album but Yes were not "better than ever" (and I doubt that any of these bands were). Drama can hold its head up amongst its predecessors but it is not better than the classics.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:56
I was a bit divided between King Crimson - Discipline and Yes - Drama. Maybe Drama was most important to Yes then Discipline was to King Crimson, at the time. Besides, Discipline was to be the debut album of a new band with the same name, if it was the decision of Fripp. Anyway, for me, Discipline is a better and most innovative album than Drama. So, this is the reason why I vote on Discipline. Still, I love both albums.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 10:04
After some thinking I voted KC just over VdGG. They both left on a high note (Red and Pawn Hearts), so these follow-ups were not necessarily better but still among their very best works, respectively. So, KC because of a bolder stylistic jump not expected by many. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 10:07
KC
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 10:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

From what I remember there was no "split" of Yes. In those days, news of such bands came via Melody Maker and I remember reading the headline that Buggles had joined Yes, but I don't remember anything about a split before that, just a sudden (and very surprising) announcement.

I could be wrong, but I believe the first Yes split was in 1974 when Rick Wakeman left the band during the recording of the Relayer album - when Vangelis auditioned as a replacement - and Rick reunited with Yes for the follow-up Going for the One album in 1977. Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 11:32
I voted for the leader - KC. A strong comeback with a bold new direction.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 11:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe the first Yes split was in 1974 when Rick Wakeman left the band during the recording of the Relayer album - when Vangelis auditioned as a replacement - and Rick reunited with Yes for the follow-up Going for the One album in 1977. Smile

Gets technical - the band slip following the ill fated Paris session at the end of 79 and basically reformed in 1980 having lost and replaced two key members.  At the time, I recall it was the end and then the rebirth of Yes.  I just remember 74 and then it was Wakeman leaving and being replaced by Moraz.  Arguably, there was more of a hiatus after Drama and before 90125 but by then the seal had been broken...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>