Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After a short interlude

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who returned stronger and better than ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.06%]
9 [14.52%]
17 [27.42%]
1 [1.61%]
0 [0.00%]
23 [37.10%]
7 [11.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 16:19
VDGG
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 16:49
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Easily Godbluff - the greatest VdGG album.

Yeah, for sure same for me.
(but I very much love Pawn Hearts too)

Edited by Dark Ness - June 15 2021 at 16:51
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 17:24
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Drama I kind of get but not Duke. There was no line up change or anything like that before right before Duke. ATTWT would have been a better option for this poll imo.

Why does there need to be a line-up change? It’s about coming back after a break - not a break-up. Genesis stated they were taking a break. Duke was their comeback. ATTWT would not have been a better option, and would have made no sense. Then again, as others have already said, there’s already a degree of nonsense to this poll, so I guess it might work….. 😜

So why was Duke coming back from a break more than ATTWT? I don't think there was more of a break before Duke than ATTWT. Duke might have been the better album but I don't see it as a comeback. 90125 was a comeback and so was Calling all stations. Also, Deep Purple's perfect strangers was a comeback. A lineup change usually means starting anew that's why ATTWT makes more sense than Duke imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 15 2021 at 17:36
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 00:28
genuine answer Godbluff , but anything that beats Discipline is cool with me!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 00:56

Drama I kind of get but not Duke. There was no line up change or anything like that before right before Duke. ATTWT would have been a better option for this poll imo.

Why does there need to be a line-up change? It’s about coming back after a break - not a break-up. Genesis stated they were taking a break. Duke was their comeback. ATTWT would not have been a better option, and would have made no sense. Then again, as others have already said, there’s already a degree of nonsense to this poll, so I guess it might work….. 😜

So why was Duke coming back from a break more than ATTWT? I don't think there was more of a break before Duke than ATTWT. Duke might have been the better album but I don't see it as a comeback. 90125 was a comeback and so was Calling all stations. Also, Deep Purple's perfect strangers was a comeback. A lineup change usually means starting anew that's why ATTWT makes more sense than Duke imo.

Because Genesis stated they were on a break before Duke, but not before ATTWT. Seriously, do you ever read the topics before you post on them? I don’t mean that as an insult, but as a genuine question, because almost everytime I see you comment it is saying something that has already been addressed.

It’s not the time that has elapsed between albums, so much as that the band has said they are taking a break. At least, that was what the OP was hoping to achieve with the poll. As aforementioned, there have been several people who have taken issue with his interpretations. There are many types of comebacks, but this poll is specifically (intended to be) about comebacks after a break. So yes, I fully understand why you consider the albums you mention as comebacks to be worthy of the poll, but that is based upon a misunderstanding of what the poll is about - as described by the OP. I’m not saying you’re wrong, so much as missing the point.

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 02:39

Because Genesis stated they were on a break before Duke, but not before ATTWT. Seriously, do you ever read the topics before you post on them? I don’t mean that as an insult, but as a genuine question, because almost everytime I see you comment it is saying something that has already been addressed.

It’s not the time that has elapsed between albums, so much as that the band has said they are taking a break. At least, that was what the OP was hoping to achieve with the poll. As aforementioned, there have been several people who have taken issue with his interpretations. There are many types of comebacks, but this poll is specifically (intended to be) about comebacks after a break. So yes, I fully understand why you consider the albums you mention as comebacks to be worthy of the poll, but that is based upon a misunderstanding of what the poll is about - as described by the OP. I’m not saying you’re wrong, so much as missing the point.

At last - thank you, good sir!
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 08:14
Godbluff > Discipline
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 09:20

Well, I don't see a definition of break in the first post. It looks like it was edited anyway. 

Yes, I'll pay more attention after you stop presenting your opinions as facts. How about that? 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 02:22
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff     
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 02:25
tough choice between Godbluff and Drama for me. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 02:51
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Poll Question: Who returned stronger and better than ever?
That would probably be no one for me, but
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Many of our heroes took a break during their careers; which band returned in triumph?
is Van Der Graaf Generator for me.

-I'm trying to come up with any progressive band or artist I think came back in such a strong way that I feel they truly surpassed themselves. Dead Can Dance' wonderful Anastastis from 2012 is certainly much better than than the previous Spiritchaser from 1996 (by far their weakest), so yes I could have voted for them (although not "better than ever", because that would mean I thought is was stronger and better than an album like Within The Realms of a Dying Sun).

Swans and Bowie has both come back with some serious contenders, but none of them with their first comeback album. Some might say Beefheart's 1978-album Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - and it's certainly a return to form after 1974's Bluejeans & Moonbeams. But if it has to be their best effort ever, I do prefer a trio of earlier albums by them.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 09:26
Reluctant to give it to Puke, but that album is the most crisp recording among the lot.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 14:02
VDGG by miles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123