Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Listening to Fragile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 10:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Fragile is a messy album but the three best tracks (Roundabout, South Side Of The Sky and Heart Of The Sunrise) are just unbelievably good. Prog taken to a new level <tick> but it needed another outing for the band to hit the bullseye.

Perhaps if they could have used what became Catherine of Aragon instead of Cans and Brahms the album could have achieved it. I have been listening to it that way and it makes perfect senses.

That wouldn't fix it for me as it would still be a messy album!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

The Steven Wilson remix from the vinyl boxset changed my perception on the album, it seriously might be the best sounding record I’ve ever heard from the 70s. I don’t think it’s a masterpiece, but it’s a nice album to just throw on and enjoy. I have always felt there’s room on side one for just one more great track. Also, I think Heart of the Sunrise is pretty overrated, I think the vocal parts really kill all the momentum of the intro, which is where I think the song peaks. Besides that, I think it’s a little too all over the map structurally. Like I said, it’s a strong and relatively easy listen. 11th best prog album of all time? Well, no.

I think the real overrated Yes album is Going for the One. Besides the first several minutes of Awaken and parts of the title track, it’s just so wimpy and yes-lite. Really missing the grit and bite of the preceding albums, and the production really isn’t there either.
I did not buy the LP box set, two main reasons. 
1) For CTTE, I have the 2012 reissue that is cut by Chris Bellman from original master tapes and pressed at Optimal Media GmbH. The SQ is amazing, so much detail, separation and dynamics as compared to my original 1972 US Atlantic version mastered by George Piros. I also have the 2008 Friday Music reissue which is not very good, cut from a digital source half speed by Joe Reagoso.
2) For Fragile, I have an original 1972 US Atlantic 1st press cut by George Piros (PORKY stamped) which is -AAA/-AAA plates and sounds absolutely amazing!! Sure there is a wee bit of surface noise being that its a 50yr old record, but I have taken care of it. I would grade in NM-/VG+++

I have always enjoyed Fragile, I play it often. The solo stuff is distracting at times, but to me it just shows how talented they were in 1971 when it was recorded.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 21:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It's very, very interesting to me that CTTE is too much for some people to grasp/get past!

After Trout Mask Replica for years and years, most top 5 prog bands/music is/are pop w some sparkles ontop by comparison LOL.

I may be missing the bigger picture point, but in my case it's not that I really mind it, more that I get bored with it (on the title track too, actually). I don't hear it as this masterpiece of music that many others do, but then most here wouldn't like an awful lot that I enjoy (from my more experimental tastes to exotica). Of course I'm happy for others to love it. I have compared it with Bubu's Anabelas as another three piece album, and Bubu's is far more interesting and exciting to me. I love lots of sci-fi and fantasy, yet the very popular Star Wars is not a favoured film of mine (for a big name, give me 2001: A Space Odyssey over it which many find boring).

I love Art Zoyd, for example, and for many that would be a slog and/or tough-going.   

To be fair, Star Wars is much less science fiction and much more space wizards.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 23:10
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It's very, very interesting to me that CTTE is too much for some people to grasp/get past!

After Trout Mask Replica for years and years, most top 5 prog bands/music is/are pop w some sparkles ontop by comparison LOL.

I may be missing the bigger picture point, but in my case it's not that I really mind it, more that I get bored with it (on the title track too, actually). I don't hear it as this masterpiece of music that many others do, but then most here wouldn't like an awful lot that I enjoy (from my more experimental tastes to exotica). Of course I'm happy for others to love it. I have compared it with Bubu's Anabelas as another three piece album, and Bubu's is far more interesting and exciting to me. I love lots of sci-fi and fantasy, yet the very popular Star Wars is not a favoured film of mine (for a big name, give me 2001: A Space Odyssey over it which many find boring).

I love Art Zoyd, for example, and for many that would be a slog and/or tough-going.   

Agree, which is why I mentioned loving sci-fi and fantasy. It had a significant effect on sci-fi/ space and fantasy type programming.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 23:17

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

[QUOTE=Frenetic Zetetic] It's very, very interesting to me that CTTE is too much for some people to grasp/get past!

Agree, which is why I mentioned loving sci-fi and fantasy. It had a significant effect on sci-fi/ space and fantasy type programming.
[/QUOTE

Oh I totally get it!

My experience comes from just having my sense of sound warped from so much avante and fusion, that CTTE is fairly time by comparison. It's like swinging two baseball bats to warm up LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 09:12
Star Wars rules......
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 09:53
I'm clearly odd man out, as my two favorite Yes albums are The Yes Album and Time and the Word. Everything after that sound to me as if it's clever for the sake of it rather than for the sake of the music.

There again, I like Tom Waits :-)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 11:18
A great album through and through.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 17:02
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

I'm clearly odd man out, as my two favorite Yes albums are The Yes Album and Time and the Word. Everything after that sound to me as if it's clever for the sake of it rather than for the sake of the music.

There again, I like Tom Waits :-)

damn that Rick Wakeman guy and his new fangled harpsichords.Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 22:08
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I have never warmed up to the song America, either original or with Yes (or with The Nice).

The Nice covered Leonard Bernstein's 'America' - a totally different song!

OK, I have only heard the Nice one once or twice... I have it on a compilation called Pink Floyd and Friends, or something like that. I just remember it didn't do much for me, and I think I barely knew the Simon and Garfunkel song either (neither from themselves nor Yes). So I just remebered the song didn't do much for me, but not much else. If I had heard The Nice one now, at least I would have been able to identify it was not the same song.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 22:13
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

It's excellent, third best after Close to the Edge and Relayer. Could be above Relayer if you take out Five Percent for Nothing, Cans and Brahms and We Have Heaven and replace them with something else. Five Percent for Nothing is just pointless, it's not even filler as it barely occupies space, I see no point in including it in the album. I like Cans and Brahms and We Have Heaven is ok, but they're just too short for them to develop into something, and they fact that they're together in the album doesn't help. It's like Roundabout ends and I'm just waiting for South Side of the Sky to start. They could have just developed Cans and Brahms a bit more and gotten rid of We Have Haven. Having two songs that don't reach a minute and a half together is pointless. These songs just make the album less cohesive, but the three main tracks are superb, especially Heart of the Sunrise which is a TOP 5 Yes song. Long Distance Runaround and Mood for a Day are very good and the best among the shorter pieces. 

As I have said before, I read that Wakeman had written what later became Catherine of Aragon for this album (it even features this line-up of Yes on 6 Wives), but wasn't able to do so because of contractual stuff, so he had to go with a cover. For me, this one simple thing would have been enough to make the album greater (it still is a 5 star for me, though). The other songs are really so short that don't bother me. And We Have Heaven sounds very cool as an intro to South Side (and the Fish for me is just like a part of Long Distance Runaround, making it for me as a single longer piece).
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 23:04
Yeah Wakeman was still under contract to A&M at the time from his days with The Strawbs so he wasn't allowed a composer's credit on Fragile.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123