Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [14.29%]
36 [85.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 14:43
Marillion
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 15:03
Marillion. I like PW but the sound is terrible. Hated the production when I bought it on day of release and after LP, CD , remastered CD I still hated the bloody sound. Bring back Terry Brown.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 23:19
I listened to both last evening, and it's definitely Marillion.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 01:41
The second side of Misplaced Childhood is sublime , especially Blind Curve which is quite shocking for all the right reasons! I am a fan of Power Windows though and Manhattan Project is also well up there! I think both were quite progressive in their own way.
It's generally assumed that ''progressive'' refers to a style and sound but Keith Emerson ventured that it could be applied to the musical structure. Chorus, Verse and repeat ad nauseum is not progressive. Overall Misplaced Childhood builds to a climax and has a concept. Power Windows is more a bunch of songs with a very loose concept, so Misplaced Childhood is probably the correct answer.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 03:11
I think the OP was asking which album was more of a progression from each band's previous album, NOT which is more "progressive/prog".  But I could be wrong....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I think the OP was asking which album was more of a progression from each band's previous album, NOT which is more "progressive/prog".  But I could be wrong....

Seems pretty clear to me "Which of these two 1985 records do you find to be more progressive,"
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 03:58

Doesn’t seem that way at all from the OP, or even the poll question. 🤔

Originally posted by OP OP wrote:

Which of these two 1985 records do you find to be more progressive, however it is you define that term? For me it's Rush. Though the songs don't have the stylistic hallmarks of the classic 70s prog records, they fuse together 80s synth pop and new wave aesthetics with a hard rock backbone and a prog sophistication in a way that I'm not sure many other bands (if any other bands) were doing at the time. Maybe Saga? Misplaced Childhood, on the other hand, seems to me to dig its heels into a midpoint between mid-70s Genesis and Pink Floyd and ride that wave as far as it will go with some mildly updated production. Still a great album, but not very progressive to me.

For me, it was notable that the word “progressive” was chosen as the descriptor, rather than prog - hence my reply:

Originally posted by I I wrote:

As you’ve used the word progressive, rather than prog, my answer is Rush.
Had you asked which is more prog, the answer would have been less clear-cut, but I’d probably have gone with Marillion.

Loads of bands can be progressive without being prog. Power Windows is my least favourite and least listened to Rush album. I own it only because it came in a boxset. But for all the reasons you’ve given, I can recognise that is is a progressive album, even if it’s not for me. And, again for the reasons you’ve given, Power Windows is considerably more progressive than Misplaced Childhood, which is prog for sure, but hardly progressive.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 04:41
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Which of these two 1985 records do you find to be more progressive, however it is you define that term? For me it's Rush. Though the songs don't have the stylistic hallmarks of the classic 70s prog records, they fuse together 80s synth pop and new wave aesthetics with a hard rock backbone and a prog sophistication in a way that I'm not sure many other bands (if any other bands) were doing at the time. Maybe Saga? Misplaced Childhood, on the other hand, seems to me to dig its heels into a midpoint between mid-70s Genesis and Pink Floyd and ride that wave as far as it will go with some mildly updated production. Still a great album, but not very progressive to me.

For me, it was notable that the word “progressive” was chosen as the descriptor, rather than prog - hence my reply:

Had you asked which is more prog, the answer would have been less clear-cut, but I’d probably have gone with Marillion.

Loads of bands can be progressive without being prog. Power Windows is my least favourite and least listened to Rush album. I own it only because it came in a boxset. But for all the reasons you’ve given, I can recognise that is is a progressive album, even if it’s not for me. And, again for the reasons you’ve given, Power Windows is considerably more progressive than Misplaced Childhood, which is prog for sure, but hardly progressive.

Like I said, I could be wrongLOL

I think it was his later post that made me wonder, where he was mentioning definitions of progressive or prog.  I think my head then thought he was asking about the 2 bands' respective progressions.

As you were....
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 17:15

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Like I said, I could be wrongLOL

I think it was his later post that made me wonder, where he was mentioning definitions of progressive or prog.  I think my head then thought he was asking about the 2 bands' respective progressions.

As you were....

So I wasn't talking about which one furthered it's respective band's progression more, but that is definitely a cool way to look at it! I've never heard any of the rest of Marillion's catalogue, so it would be interesting to me to hear whether people think Misplaced Childhood was a big leap forward breaking a lot of new ground for them or not. I think Power Windows was a step or two beyond the next logical step after Grace Under Pressure for Rush, though not as explosive a step as Fly By Night after Rush, or Permanent Waves after Hemispheres.

What I meant as best I can describe it is which album better fits your own personal definition of the term "progressive," whether that definition has to do with a particular style of composition and playing, or whether it has more to do with pushing the envelope forward, or even if that means the album has more progressive politics! Whatever your definition is, that's what I'm hoping to find out with this thread, and I thought these two albums from 1985 were a pretty good gauge of what side of the spectrum of definitions one leans more towards.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 22:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Marillion by far and I love Power Windows. 

Could not have said it any better than that.
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 23:00
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 03:57
I only saw Rush once - on the Power Windows tour - dreadful waste of money.  Marillion doing Misplaced Childhood at the MK Bowl was a completely different story...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 04:21
Another misplaced vote for Marillion. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12