Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brazilian prog, sung in Portugese!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazilian prog, sung in Portugese!
    Posted: June 19 2021 at 01:39
I like this music from this new band!  Dig it!

HOLOCENO is the debut LP by the Brazilian occult prog rock band Papangu. 

Seven years in the making, Papangu's first record is a concept album inspired by ecological eschatology and the modernist literature of Northeastern Brazil—a hardy, arid region historically plagued by inequality and violence. 

Sung in the band's native Portuguese, the album tells the tale of a cangaceiro—a bandit from Brazil's backlands—who, after being shown a vision of his fate, tries to change it through ritual sacrifice. When his botched attempt backfires and sets off a chain reaction, the protagonist seeks a Faustian pact in order to stop the forthcoming environmental disaster. 

Blending influences from sludge and doom, Papangu's fluid sound is sieved through an unique mesh of prog, stoner, post rock and the rhythms of Northeastern Brazil, sounding as if Mastodon and mid-70s King Crimson had teamed up to concoct a Magma-like soundtrack to an anti-Bolsonaro play by Ariano Suassuna. 

Sludgy riffs are augmented by unusual song structures, syncopated rhythms, unhuman drumming—courtesy of Torstein Lofthus, the juggernaut behind prog legends Elephant9 and blackjazzers SHINING—and guest performances by Brazilian keyboard mages Uaná Barreto and Luis Souto Maior on Minimoog and Prophet-6, along with Seven Impale's saxophonist Benjamin Mekki Widerøe.

Edited by cstack3 - June 19 2021 at 01:41
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 02:10
This sounds really really interesting - thanks for the heads up
I have a thing for Faustian tales - especially echoed or told from other cultures...and even if I don’t understand Portuguese..I really love how it sounds...especially the Brazilian variant. Samuel will of course fully agree with this statement like most Portuguese folks will
Kidding aside I’m very intruiged by the whole concept of the thing..and well Thorstein Lofthus is one of my favourite modern day drummers...so this is most definitely something I will be getting.
Thanks again!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 02:42
I like this. It sounds great.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 03:57
Why not suggest them to be included on this site in the suggest new bands section? 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 05:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Why not suggest them to be included on this site in the suggest new bands section? 

Probably due to the fact their album hasn't been released yet.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 09:08
Hi,

Listening to it for the first time. The main reaction so far is the conventionality of the whole thing. It might be me, expecting that Brazilian music have some of its native and far out jazzy stuff and the combination would be far out.

I, personally, do not think of this as progressive, but it certainly is very good rock music and it shows that these folks play well together which is a great plus. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 11:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Listening to it for the first time. The main reaction so far is the conventionality of the whole thing. It might be me, expecting that Brazilian music have some of its native and far out jazzy stuff and the combination would be far out.

I, personally, do not think of this as progressive, but it certainly is very good rock music and it shows that these folks play well together which is a great plus. 

This is their first effort, so I wanted to give them some support.  I think they show promise!  

They claim to be influenced by Magma, and I hear undertones of that in their composition.  
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 13:06
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's been a while since I last logged onto PA, but anyways...

The two tracks we decided to show before releasing the record are indeed rather "conventional", though I definitely think the record as a whole is proggy by the numbers: Leitmotive spread throughout the album, psychedelic vamps on odd time sigs, chromaticism and octatonic scales for the Stravinskian/Vanderian/Frippian atmosphere. By way of example, track #2 is a heavy take on Edu Lobo's mid 70s period through the aesthetic lens of the zeuhlian rhythm section of heavily distorted bass and frantic drumming.

In any way, writing and producing this album was kind of a culmination of the six or so years I spent learning and talking about music here on PA, so I'm quite happy that some of you liked what we came up with. I hope you enjoy the whole thing when it comes out on this Friday :)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 13:36
Originally posted by The Neck Romancer The Neck Romancer wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's been a while since I last logged onto PA, but anyways...

The two tracks we decided to show before releasing the record are indeed rather "conventional", though I definitely think the record as a whole is proggy by the numbers: Leitmotive spread throughout the album, psychedelic vamps on odd time sigs, chromaticism and octatonic scales for the Stravinskian/Vanderian/Frippian atmosphere. By way of example, track #2 is a heavy take on Edu Lobo's mid 70s period through the aesthetic lens of the zeuhlian rhythm section of heavily distorted bass and frantic drumming.

In any way, writing and producing this album was kind of a culmination of the six or so years I spent learning and talking about music here on PA, so I'm quite happy that some of you liked what we came up with. I hope you enjoy the whole thing when it comes out on this Friday :)

Thanks for posting!  I'm the one who started the thread, I think you guys have GREAT potential!!  

Portuguese is a lovely, lyrical language, it is very cool to hear you sing in your native tongue! 

Looking forward to your music!  Cheers, Charles in USA

Edited by cstack3 - June 27 2021 at 14:25
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 04:55
Thanks Charles!

BTW, a heads up: the album is out today on Bandcamp and streaming services
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 07:01
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Portuguese is a lovely, lyrical language, it is very cool to hear you sing in your native tongue! 

Looking forward to you music!  Cheers, Charles in USA

Hi,

I'm from Portugal, originally, and our family went to Brazil later. So Portuguese is in my blood, even though these days I do not speak it as fluently as I like, as I do not have anyone around me to talk to and keep it alive. 

Reading it, is another matter. As you all know, my dad was a well known writer in Portuguese Literature, and he has many books and poetry ... guess what? I can't read it, as the language used is so strong and Universitarian, and almost way above my comprehension of the language that at this time is rudimentary.

I can read it, but don't ask me to write it. The things that bother me, is the translations of some of my father's work, and the gross ideas and misrepresentations of colored underwear as a sign of protest against the socially-minded-political-soufflés. It is beyond reason and pathetic! Translations are the pits!

I have no issues with so many bands singing in their language ... and I have a whole bunch in my collection, a lot more than most I imagine. I would say, easily 20 different languages in my collection, with Welsh/Irish/Scot (for example) counting as English. However, the majority of "prog" folks I have met/found, do not like the different languages much, because they RELY on the lyrics to tell them what is going on in the music, and that is a conditioning that comes from popular music in England and America for the most part, the two countries being almost completely indifferent to other cultures and countries! Specially America!

There is a lyrical beauty in all languages. Hard to not appreciate Sheila Chandra, Ofra Haza and many others that sing and speak in their own language ... they have a beauty of their own, and the folks here at PA (as an EXAMPLE, NOT A FACT) not appreciating these folks for who and what they are, is very sad, but the appreciation has been there the few times that some posts were made about it, but it seems like the majority go for the popular material with the rough singing women that roll their r's and come off aggressive or punk'insh in their music. A really sad implementation of what women are and do, as there are many that don't do that cheap pop musik thing at all!

I miss hearing more of these different things ... too many posts on YES, GENESIS, TETHRO JULL and a handful of bands, and yet another post on KANSAS being prog or not! After a while one wonders where the talent really is, but the essence is that many folks have not given in to the idea that PROGRESSIVE was something that happened around the whole world, not just one country! 

And until the day when educational thoughts and ideas are added to the postings, I do not think that we can improve on the number of folks ... right now, I can tell you that all the advanced students that are close to my family (5 sisters and 3 more brothers), think that this is all just kid stuff that most of you will forget when you grow older! What that means is that the "fan-boy" or "fan-girl" side of things needs to be replaced by intelligent and helpful content within the posts to help the folks learn more and understand the bands better other than another fan post about something that has been done/posted 100 times or more!

It's an universal thing, this "progressive" or "prog" thing ... why can't we face that and start talking about it? And singing in that idiom is great ... a chance to learn how many of those folks express themselves, instead of us thinking our GOD is right and theirs is CRAP!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 08:54

I would say, easily 20 different languages in my collection, with Welsh/Irish/Scot (for example) counting as English. 

That's really going to upset Welsh and Gaelic speakers
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 12:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I would say, easily 20 different languages in my collection, with Welsh/Irish/Scot (for example) counting as English. 

Yeah, it might even start a war!! LOL

I enjoy prog in other languages besides English - I'm trying to get into Magma, but am not quit getting into their style yet. 

The Portuguese language intrigues me, I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish but would not even be able to say "goodbye" in Portuguese!  

Also, I don't tend to listen intently to lyrics nor ascribe any meaning to them.  I love Jon Anderson's lyrics, but they are more phonetic than anything - only the lyrics to "Revealing Science of God" really pull me in. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 12:40

Hi,

That would make it 23 then!!!! Wink
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 23:18
Originally posted by The Neck Romancer The Neck Romancer wrote:

Thanks Charles!

BTW, a heads up: the album is out today on Bandcamp and streaming services

I just bought it, sounds GREAT!!  Clap

Congratulations on launching your new album!  Or, should I say, "Parabéns!" 

Edited by cstack3 - June 25 2021 at 23:34
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2021 at 21:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yeah, it might even start a war!! LOL

I enjoy prog in other languages besides English - I'm trying to get into Magma, but am not quit getting into their style yet. 

The Portuguese language intrigues me, I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish but would not even be able to say "goodbye" in Portuguese!  

Also, I don't tend to listen intently to lyrics nor ascribe any meaning to them.  I love Jon Anderson's lyrics, but they are more phonetic than anything - only the lyrics to "Revealing Science of God" really pull me in. 

My language is Spanish, and from a few times I have ended reading somthing in portuguese, mostly by accident (or whatever) it seems to be really similar... it might even take me a little while to realize that I'm not actually reading spanish... but spoken, that's a whole different matter. I wouldn't understand a thing (mostly)... and I think I would understand just as bad hearing a brazilian (or portuguese) speaking portugues or spanish itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply