Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cardiacs Bites It: Big and Tall Ships-It Bites/C..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs Bites It: Big and Tall Ships-It Bites/C..

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: which of these two songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [56.25%]
7 [43.75%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs Bites It: Big and Tall Ships-It Bites/C..
    Posted: June 21 2021 at 07:24
I've done a few polls featuring Cardiacs "Big Ship" and I thought focusing on these two different music approaches might be interesting.

Both bands are in PA, both bands have an album (an EP in the case of Cardiacs and an LP with It Bites) named after the respective songs, and both bands made music I consider to be kinds of Crossover Prog. Both bands have been called both not Prog and not progressive by some people, and both have been called pop music. Tim Smith of Cardiacs referred to his music as pop. The Tall Ships song by It Bites is not considered to be the most progressive or Prog song on the album of the same name, but I thought that it paired up with Big Ship provides some interesting contrast. I will include both a live and recorded in studio version of both.

Here are excerpts from two reviews in PA about each track:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

"The Tall Ships" Other than "Never the Same" by Echolyn, I don't think I've ever heard a more optimistic and hopeful song about eventual endings. As it should be, the melody is the centerpiece of the song. Easing up on the tempo, the piece adopts acoustic guitars and the synthesizer lead takes on the form of an Irish whistle. All in all, this is a stunningly beautiful composition.

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

'Big Ship', the opener, is representative of their sound. Sparse in parts, it builds to the most gorgeous and dynamic close, gloriously over the top.

"Big Ship":

"The Tall Ships":

Edited by Logan - June 21 2021 at 07:26
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 08:15
I like both, but voted for It Bites.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 08:20
It Bites gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 08:33
Both good, but the vote goes to It Bites.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 15:41
Cardiacs without any hesitasion
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 16:57
One of the very best ever vs. a song.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 18:00
Boom. I'd like to say that if I stay on course, one day every band in PA will have the honour to have a shanty spar* with Big Ship, but I'll never get that full steam ahead even if I'm making some headway. With me at the helm, it's more likely that I'd keel over and die, or at least capsize, before that happens.

*Spar: a thick, strong pole such as is used for a mast or yard on a ship for the landlubbers.

I like discovering more music this way that might be outside my wheelhouse. I just happened to be reading a topic on It Bites which got me associating with Cardiacs (both having had some similar claims made about them). I think I did a more thorough ships poll at one time.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:12
Just discovred that Cardiacs is on swedish streaming service Spotify suddenly, aaaa the fates are smiling and treats me well now.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 23:02
It Bites - The Tall Ships
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply