Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How often do you listen to the old prog classics?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you listen to the old prog classics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How often?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [25.33%]
44 [58.67%]
12 [16.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you listen to the old prog classics?
    Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:22
How often do you listen to the old classics like ItCotCK, CTTE, TAAB and DSotM, as examples?

Edited by SteveG - June 22 2021 at 12:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:25
Maybe 3/4 times a year.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:28
Very rarely - less than once a year. After all, I have 3000 other CD albums to listen to as well as bazillions of albums online. Smile
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:31
Well, sometimes not once in months or perhaps a year, sometimes everyday... Really depends.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:58
Few times a year. Depends on the mood, and the need to go through a ton of other old and new choices.

Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 13:17
I listen to a lot of a kind of classic period music of a prog or prog related ilk -- late 60's, 70's and into the 80's -- but I'm not sure how many of those would be considered to be true classics (risking the no true Scotsman fallacy). I did listen to Pawn Hearts recently, and I would consider that suitable. And I listened again to Can's Tago Mago recently, if that counts. I return to KC fairly regularly, but not the debut. I still play old faves like Magma and Tangerine Dream quite regularly. I also listen to a lot of newer music and music that would not be deemed Prog.

It depends on what is deemed a Prog classic. Most of the Prog classics are not ones that I would wish to return to much (especially since I'm not very big on Symphonic Prog and a lot of what people would think of as Prog classics tend to be of that ilk).

Using these as examples, ItCotCK, CTTE, TAAB and DSotM, those are not ones that I would wish to return to except very occasionally. I'll say rarely. My preference generally tends to be for lesser known names and often ones that may be Prog by PA standards, but might not be considered as quintessentially Prog genre as others.

It's an interesting question as it is open to some interpretation.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 13:41
Occasionally. I spend more time listening to things I haven't heard before, especially newer releases. Though, oddly enough, I'm in the middle of a Rush marathon right now.

Edited by progaardvark - June 22 2021 at 13:42
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 14:26
I listen to a lot of old Genesis.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 14:45
Occasionally fits for me as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 14:58
Well, it sort of depends on what you mean.
If you mean full albums beginning to end then Rarely as in, about or less than, once a year.
If you mean songs from these albums then Occasionally as I have many songs from these albums on my iPod and hear them in shuffle rotation.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 15:39
All the time. The old time classics have a charm for me, and IO always find something special to enjoy.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 18:13
I like listening to new music constantly but there are bands I always return to and listen to a lot for a month or two every year or every couple of years. Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Yes, etc. Those are among my favorite and among the ones I listen to the most. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 18:49
Selectively, but quite often.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 18:54
Occasionally, I listen to a lot of old prog but I'm so familiar with the classics I spend more time listening to stuff that's new to me or I'm less familiar with. Probably once a year maximum.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 22:16
All the time, actually. I do like and listen to some more recent stuff, or some not prog stuff, but I always come back to the classics of prog. And I didn't even grow up listening to that stuff, I found it until my 20's, but still there's something that sounds more unique and time lasting.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 22:19
I listen to at least 2 epics every day.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 23:37
Occasionally. Classics are classics for a reason and it's good to return to them every now and then. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 23:52
One of those records is spun at least once a week, year round.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 00:20
Of the ones mentioned I still like to catch up on them because they're superb pieces of Art. Unfortunately I don't play them much these days because there's so much other music that I haven't heard before that I have to catch up with first.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 00:35
As for most 60/70's music I knew back then, rarely (less than once a year for sure), cos I know them by heart and don't feel the need to replay them.

I've also got so much other stuff to listen to and so little time to indulge (would need a second lifetime)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>