Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Papangu (Brazil) for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Papangu (Brazil) for Eclectic Prog
    Posted: June 27 2021 at 03:56
https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno?from=embed

Album released on June 25th. I play in this group and though I think it might fit experimental/post metal better, the album doesn't stay within that umbrella. Tracks 2 and 4 are zeuhl-ish heavy prog and track 7 can't really be defined as being prog metal.

A disclaimer: I'm only suggesting the group for inclusion as this record has been the object of discussion in this thread
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 04:00
If it came to the prog metal team, I’d give it a yes for Experimental/Post, for sure. I think Experimental/Post is probably a better fit than Eclectic, but as you’ve put if forward for Eclectic, I’ll wait and see what someone from that team says.

(By the way, because of the sheer amount of work the prog metal team has, no submission will be taken on by the team without a full bio/credits/etc.)

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 05:55
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

If it came to the prog metal team, I’d give it a yes for Experimental/Post, for sure. I think Experimental/Post is probably a better fit than Eclectic, but as you’ve put if forward for Eclectic, I’ll wait and see what someone from that team says.

(By the way, because of the sheer amount of work the prog metal team has, no submission will be taken on by the team without a full bio/credits/etc.)

that would be my advice too

The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 06:54
Understood.

bio: Four-piece band from João Pessoa, Brazil. Formed in 2012 as a stoner rock trio, Papangu quickly moved into sludge metal and prog rock territory after the inclusion of a second guitarist/vocalist. Influenced by the modernist literature of Northeastern Brazil—a hardy, arid region historically plagued by inequality and violence—, the band exclusively writes music in their native Portuguese, and aims to reclaim the space for progressive and ambitious Brazilian rock left empty after the Tropicália movement (and later, pop rock and axé-influenced music) toned down experimentalism in Brazilian music.

album credits:
Papangu:
Marco Mayer — bass, vox, guitars, keys
Nichollas Jaques — background vox
Hector Ruslan — electric guitar, vox
Rai Accioly — electric guitar, vox

featuring:
Torstein Lofthus — drums, cowbell
Uaná Barreto — minimoog voyager (2, 4)
Benjamin Mekki Widerøe — tenor saxophone (6, 7)
Luís Souto Maior — prophet-6 (7)

recorded by Ruy José at Estúdio Mutuca, João Pessoa
drums recorded by Jørgen Smådal Larsen at Studio Paradiso, Oslo
tenor saxophone recorded by Fredrik Mekki Widerøe in Bergen
overdubs by Marco and Hector at Singaro/Qripta, João Pessoa
between 2019 and 2021

mixed by Jørgen Smådal Larsen at Studio Paradiso, Oslo
mastered by James Plotkin
executive producers Papangu
produced by Marco Mayer
album art by Ars Moriendee
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 14:11
Thanks for the bio. 

Forwarded to Progressive Metal team.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 14:24
Originally posted by The Neck Romancer The Neck Romancer wrote:

https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno?from=embed

Album released on June 25th. I play in this group and though I think it might fit experimental/post metal better, the album doesn't stay within that umbrella. Tracks 2 and 4 are zeuhl-ish heavy prog and track 7 can't really be defined as being prog metal.

A disclaimer: I'm only suggesting the group for inclusion as this record has been the object of discussion in this thread

I bought the album on Bandcamp, excellent first effort! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2021 at 10:27

Papangu added to Experimental/Post Metal..

Post Reply Post Reply