Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Ten Led Zeppelin Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:32
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My tastes in music are very eclectic indeed, and stuff I like crosses many genres and styles... including a few that I would never admit to.

I'm pretty sure I would've chosen the same ten favourite Led Zeppelin songs as you if I hadn't chosen a favourite song from each of ten albums. Smile

'Immigrant Song' should have been on my list too - it pained me leaving that out as we were restricted to 10.
"Immigrant Song" was an absolute must for inclusion on my Top 10 list, whichever way I put the list together. I only just noticed it wasn't on your list too, but maybe you could migrate "Immigrant Song" onto your list belatedly. Smile
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:44
^ They had a habit of making the opening track of their albums (or at least the first five) an ear shattering no-nonsense rocker: Good Times Bad Times / Whole Lotta Love / Immigrant Song / Black Dog / The Song Remains the Same - it doesn't get much better than that.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 20:01

Maybe we need a 'Guilty Pleasures' topic in General Music Discussions.

I've always been a bit mystified by how to apply the term "guilty pleasures".

If it refers to the dictionary meaning "something, such as a film, television program, or piece of music, that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard." then I have a myriad "guilty pleasures".

If it refers to music I might be ashamed to admit I like, then nothing fits into that category for me. If I like a piece of music I have no qualms admitting that I like it.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 18:57
If we do a guilty pleasures thread, there's an album from the 80's with the word 'Jacket' in the title and... No, I better not go anywhere near that thread lol.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 00:53
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

If we do a guilty pleasures thread, there's an album from the 80's with the word 'Jacket' in the title and... No, I better not go anywhere near that thread lol.

There's No Jacket Required to take part in a Guilty Pleasures thread. Tongue
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 07:24
Oh awesome!

Haha, good to see you on here again bud.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 08:01
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Oh awesome!

Haha, good to see you on here again bud.

Thanks! I've been here all the time. Big smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 09:29
Right on Thumbs Up
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 16:43
Since i've been loving you
When the levee breaks
Babe i'm gonna leave you
Blackdog
Heartbreaker
Kashmir
Out on the tiles
Over the hills and far away
Going to Califormia
Four sticks
and many many more
one of my non prog top 5 bands of all times
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 08:28

^ They had a habit of making the opening track of their albums (or at least the first five) an ear shattering no-nonsense rocker: Good Times Bad Times / Whole Lotta Love / Immigrant Song / Black Dog / The Song Remains the Same - it doesn't get much better than that.

Not forgetting Custard Pie and of course Achilles Last Stand.

Edited by chopper - January 31 2022 at 08:28
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 08:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

all their album openers were great, In the Evening on ITTOD and We're Gonna Groove from Coda were more than ok openers, I like them quite a bit. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 15:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I thought I'd already voted in this poll but apparently not. I'll do it slightly differently though by choosing a favourite song from each Led Zeppelin album, making ten songs in all (the same as I did for the recent Black Sabbath songs poll). In the meantime, I'm heading Out Through the In Door, but I'll be back later. At least it gives me a good excuse to listen to my entire Led Zep CD collection again. Coda. Smile

PP out on the tiles
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 16:02

Right .
just a suggestion :
If not because at the golden age of the vynil it was necessary that the first song of each side was captivating
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 16:07
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Right .
just a suggestion :
If not because at the golden age of the vynil it was necessary that the first song of each side was captivating

True. I usually listen to full length albums so I still expect album openers to draw me in. Tongue
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2022 at 03:43
No Quarter (TSRTS)
Dazed (TSRTS)
Stairway (4)
Achilles
Carouselambra
Over The Hills And Far Away (HotH)
Kashmir
Darlene
Tramp Led Underfoot
Black Dog.

Side 2 of Graffiti is one of the most exceptional LP sides ever...

ITTOD one of the most misunderstood albums ever...

Presence is the Page / Bonham album...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2022 at 04:55
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Top ten I don't know but I sure love these:
No Quarter
The Battle of Evermore
Going to California
Thank You (you'd agree if you've seen Sharp Objects)
In The Light
Immigrant Song
The Rain Song
Kashmir
Achilles Last Stand
Over The Hills And Far Away
...uh and I can't leave out Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

-haven't seen a song posted here that I don't love

Ten Years Gone, Ramble On, Black Dog...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2022 at 09:28
Hi,

To be perfectly honest, and I still have the CD's and albums, I can not even decide which song I like better. All in all, I can go back to the first album, and fall away with a smile and love it, as much as I can the later stuff, and ...

I would say that there are few bands when/where you can say that over all of their life, they were outstanding, and I think it is more than fair to say that Led Zeppelin was one of these bands. And their complete canon of music ... is one that very few bands can ever sit and compare to!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2023 at 14:28
My Zeppelin Favourite Songs List:
Kashmir
In my Time of Dying
In the Light
Trampled Under Foot
No Quarter
Since I've been Loving You
The Rain Song
Whole Lotta Love
Dazed and Confused
Achilles Last Stand
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 19:22
For me it's difficult to choose just ten so I'll just choose ten off the top of my head while probably leaving a few great ones off:

Your Time Is Gonna Come
The Lemon Song
Tangerine
Stairway To Heaven
Over The Hills And Far Away
In The Light
The Rover
Kashmir
Achilles Last Stand
In The Evening

Five more:

Dazed And Confused
Bring It On Home
The Song Remains The Same
Carouselambra
I'm Gonna Crawl (Out door is very underrated imo while 4 is a bit overrated again imo)
The-Station-Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The-Station-Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 20:51
In Order:

1 - Achilles Last Stand
2 - No Quarter
3 - Immigrant Song
4 - When The Levee Breaks
5 - Whole Lotta Love
6 - Nobody's Fault But Mine
7 - The Rover
8 - Good Times Bad Times
9 - Rock And Roll
10 - Houses Of The Holy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>