Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Yes really Yes anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Do you consider the current lineup of Yes to really be Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [20.99%]
53 [65.43%]
11 [13.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Yes really Yes anymore?
    Posted: July 07 2021 at 20:18
With Yes having announced a new album:

I started wondering... the current lineup of Yes is pretty short on classic era members, not to mention lacking originals now that Squire has passed. According to this article Alan White barely plays live anymore (which I didn't know) and is even supplemented by their other live drummer on this new album. That pretty much just leaves Steve Howe, who is certainly a classic and unimpeachable member of Yes, but does that make the rest of the band Yes? Especially when Anderson and Wakeman are still out there? I'm on the fence.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 20:46
I think so. Yes has become like a franchise, and it’s put forth a fairly cohesive set of works with a rotating cast of regulars and occasional passers-by. For good or ill, Yes has become something that’s practically self-supporting - a brand name recognized and taken seriously by a large chunk of music fans, no matter who contributes to it or what comes out of it. But despite the inconsistent personnel, I can’t think of any Yes album that doesn’t “sound like a Yes album”, even when they trade out key players like Anderson or Howe or whoever. Opinions differ as to the quality of the quality of these later efforts, but it’s hard to deny they all have something very Yes-sy about them.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 20:48
I don't know. The current band is descended from the Squire version which was the legitimate version but I feel like ARW had a right to call themselves Yes when they did.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 21:10
it is absolutely not ---you need Jon and Rick to join Howe but Howe said that will NEVER happen---but Howe also said for years that there would be no new Yes album--but he produced this one and I'll listen to it but the singer is annoying and Sherwood hasn't given any amazing music to Yes in all the years he has been with them. Nothing worth mentioning. For me ABWH---Keys and Mag were some interesting albums.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 21:26
No is the new Yes.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 22:23
No. 

A very easy no for me, lol.

They weren't the same for a bit even w Squire still thumping, and they certainly lost any of the original spirit of the band with his passing.

We have some golden era recordings that I'm more than happy with.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 22:45
Simple! No Squire No Yes

Not even maybe!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 23:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Simple! No Squire No Yes

Not even maybe!

Chris Squire was and will always be Yes, CMV.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 23:44
No. You need Chris and Jon in the lineup, at the very least. Rick is also preferable.
With just one "core"  player on board, it's hard to think of them as Yes really. (Some would argue about White but I was always indifferent about him)

The quality of Yes material post-Magnification - it's goddamn 20 years already - drives the point home.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:32

Of course they are Yes! Yes is a band that has always transcended any one particular individual. No individual is essential for Yes to be Yes. The members have always kept changing, new people joined, old ones returned, etc., but the band continued.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:36
voted "no". 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:39
When we're talking about the music, it's no. When we're talking about business, it's Yes...
Voted no.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:52
Probably not. Obviously they are free to keep calling themselves yes and continuing on as a band but the magic that made Yes Yes left a long time ago. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:00

Steve Howe joined Yes in 1970, Alan White in 1972, Geoff Downes in 1980, Billy Sherwood first became a full member in the mid 90's but had already contributed to the band in various ways for several years, and Jon Davison has been with them since 2012. How on earth can anybody complain about the pedigree of these dudes? How many decades do you have to dedicate to a band in order to earn being called “classic”? How many years do to you have to be a member before you are no longer considered a “new guy”?

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:13
^ The pedigree is not the problem. The music they make is.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:19
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Steve Howe joined Yes in 1970, Alan White in 1972, Geoff Downes in 1980, Billy Sherwood first became a full member in the mid 90's but had already contributed to the band in various ways for several years, and Jon Davison has been with them since 2012. How on earth can anybody complain about the pedigree of these dudes? How many decades do you have to dedicate to a band in order to earn being called “classic”? How many years do to you have to be a member before you are no longer considered a “new guy”?

Geoff Downes was in the band briefly for Drama and came back 30 years later. 

Obviously they can call themselves whatever they want, it's a matter of credibility. Sherwood's presence should be worrying. 

TBH I find it naive for some people having high hopes for a new Yes album. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:25
I've seen both "Yes" and ARW recently, and ARW was more Yes than "Yes"

Steve Howe is still amazing and worth the ticket price, but the rest are decent musicians (Alan White is now well past his prime and hanging in there) but they're not classic Yes in any sense.

"Yes" is now almost a Steve Howe solo project
Songs cast a light on you
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

The OP seems to be saying that this line-up is someone not classic enough. I understand the view that they are too old and would better retire, but not classic enough is ridiculous.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:32
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Geoff Downes was in the band briefly for Drama and came back 30 years later. 

Obviously they can call themselves whatever they want, it's a matter of credibility. Sherwood's presence should be worrying. 

TBH I find it naive for some people having high hopes for a new Yes album. 

I consider Drama to be part of the classic era of the band, and Downes is part of Yes history even if he was there for only one album the first time around.

Sherwood has been very prolific, they probably couldn't have written a new album without him.

I do have high hopes that The Quest will be better than Heaven & Earth Tongue

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:52

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

The OP seems to be saying that this line-up is someone not classic enough. I understand the view that they are too old and would better retire, but not classic enough is ridiculous.

If Alan White were fully there and if Geoff Downes had stuck around for even 90125, that would feel more like Yes to me. As it stands, Sherwood and Davidson are standing in place of Squire and Anderson, Downes had more impact on Asia's career than Yes', and White is being supplemented by the extra drummer they take on tour with them, leaving only Howe both fully there and having Yes as his main gig. Someone above said they've seen both Yes and ARW recently and ARW felt more like Yes. I haven't seen either, but Anderson and Wakeman don't need defending, and Rabin was there for many years during the most commercially successful part of Yes' career as an influential part of the band. I can see how that would feel more like Yes than Steve Howe and three and a half guys who've more or less jumped on the bandwagon.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>