Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - Least Inspired Album Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album art do you consider to be the least inspired?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [20.37%]
2 [3.70%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [22.22%]
1 [1.85%]
12 [22.22%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
5 [9.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - Least Inspired Album Art
    Posted: July 19 2021 at 04:52
OK then it's time we had another Pink Floyd Poll.

For me whenever the Floyd released a new album I was as eager to see the packaging as well as giving the disk its first play.  So given that they usually paid great attention to their album artwork, which album art do you consider to be their least inspired?

And go...

Edited by Progishness - July 19 2021 at 05:00
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 05:06
The Wall. I also like cheese.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:11
Obscured By Clouds. Even though I really like the music, the cover is not really inspiring.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:12
Atom Heart Mother (1970) is UDDERLY underwhelming.
Sure, it's become an iconic image...of sorts...to some. But it's lazy and pedestrian.
Of course I have no doubt that an art grad would expound a deep critique into the subtext of the cow's arse and all it's societal meaning...YAWN.
If record companies were ever to remaster covers, this should be the first one they do !

Oh, and I like cheese too.

Edited by JD - July 19 2021 at 07:14
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:13
A Collection of Great Dance Songs. A really dislike that cover on a prog album. 
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:14
The Wall...Final Cut..Obscured..
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:33
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Sure, it's become an iconic image...of sorts...to some. But it's lazy and pedestrian.
Of course I have no doubt that an art grad would expound a deep critique into the subtext of the cow's arse and all it's societal meaning...YAWN.
If record companies were ever to remaster covers, this should be the first one they do !

That’s how I feel about DSotM. Iconic as hell, but just as uninspired. I don’t dislike the cover for DSotM, and I definitely like it more than the contents, but compared to the rest of the covers it doesn’t seem anywhere near as inspired.

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:37
The final cut
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 07:58
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

The final cut

I concur.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Was it suggesting the music was cowcrap, as the title track mostly is in my opinion. There I've said it now.

[Love the whole of Side 2 tho.]

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 11:45
The Wall. Appropriate, yes, but they may as well just used plain cardboard - which would have been more appropriately bleak. Tongue Atom Heart Mother comes a close second. Both are great albums, though.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 11:50
The Final Cut 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:23
I loved The Wall album art, but then I was originally exposed to the LP gatefold sleeve version. If you mean just the album cover, then The Wall could be a contender, but I take that as part of the package. I don't know, and I can appreciate simplicity.

I loved this when I first saw it as a child:

As for Atom Heart Mother, I find the art udderly wonderful, if not particularly mooving. Much as I like it, I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. Loses points for lack of cowbell.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:30
The Wall and The Final Cut are both very minimalistic but I wouldn't call them uninspired for that reason; I think they actually work very well for the concepts which they wish to get across, and I say that as someone who isn't even a big fan of either album. Atom Heart Mother's cover is hilarious. Obscured By Clouds is the one cover of theirs where I feel like they really had no ideas and just resorted to using what seems like an out-of-focus still from the film to which the music is set.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:32
I find The Endless River particularly uninspiring and had to actually look up Saucerful Of Secrets to remember it! The Final Cut is pretty bad as is Delicate Sound Of Thunder.

Endless River for the win!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:35
The Final Cut ... a close-up of British military awards is hardly inspired and pretty much meaningless to most people, as is the Remembrance Poppy. In fact, the cover art is as uninspired as the music the album contains.

Edited by Cinema - July 19 2021 at 12:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I loved The Wall album art, but then I was originally exposed to the LP gatefold sleeve version. If you mean just the album cover, then The Wall could be a contender, but I take that as part of the package. I don't know, and I can appreciate simplicity.

As for Atom Heart Mother, I find the art udderly wonderful, if not particularly mooving. Much as I like it, I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. Loses points for lack of cowbell.

I really meant the album art as a whole, so that means both the outside and inside of gatefolds.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 13:10
The Final Cut, Not a great cover.  (Putting it mildly) 

Edited by Argo2112 - July 19 2021 at 13:11
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 13:16
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I really meant the album art as a whole, so that means both the outside and inside of gatefolds.

Thanks, Mike. Looking at the gatefold sleeve as a kid made me feel guilty due to the "rude" imagery in a similar way that I would stash Mad magazines under my bed, followed by more "adult" things such as Reader's Digest. It may be rather puerile, but I find it inspired (The Wall art, not Reader's Digest...).

I quite want to vote for the "I like Cheese!" option but I may vote for "The Final Cut" as I'm feeling like I'd Finally like to Cut the Cheese and that way I can combine both in a less than satisfactory way. I have a very nice Stilton in the fridge and have been longing to cut it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 13:47
OBC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>