Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [48.28%]
15 [51.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beach Boys vs the Kinks
    Posted: July 20 2021 at 08:39
Which magic music world do you feel more at home, the pationate, ambitious and harmonizing world of Brian Wilson, or the whimsical, wild but also nostalgic world of Ray Davies. Often paired against the Beatles but now i chose another opoment. Inspired by the Doors vs the Who poll.

Both these bands are lead up by one singular genious, Brian and Ray, with some sibling dynamics, Brian got two brothers, in the band nd aray got Dave, not always sibling love, both have cornerstone albums regardingg somgwriting, Pet Sounds and Village Greene, and singular amazing singles Good Vibtation and Waterloo Sunset.

So are you chosing the kings of the vocal harmomie or the innovators of fuzz.

Edited by Icarium - July 20 2021 at 08:43
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 09:50
I've never really been big on either band but if i had to pick I would go with the Beach Boys. 
If for no other reason, the harmonies.

Edited by Argo2112 - July 20 2021 at 09:52
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 09:53
The Kinks. The Kinks were an actual rock band with bite and sly wit. The Beach Boys were a surf band who eventually became a surf band with orchestration. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 10:51
The Beach Boys.  Music and harmonies superb. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 11:08
Beach Boys. Just for Pet Sounds. The album that influenced the Beatles to expand their creativity on Sgt. Pepper's. Shear Genius.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 13:54
Kinks.........I like some Beach Boys tracks and Pet Sounds stands up as an lp but the rest is  weak imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 15:59
I adore The Kinks.  No contest.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 23:45
20 years ago it would have been The Kinks hands down…though after digging a bit further down the Beach Boys’ late 60s and 70s oevre I actually find it very difficult picking one over the other. They’re so different and as such fit vastly different occasions and moods.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 23:55
Easily Beach Boys, mainly for the sonic excellence. And I really don't like Ray Davies' nasal voice, as excellent songwriter as he is.
   The combination of both bands' best features would be great.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 02:38
Beach Boys. Although Ray Davies is a great songwriter and epitomises English whimsy, effectively writing modern day folk music capturing English life, Brian Wilson's contribution to modern music is simply massive.  
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 14:22
^ Despite that, it's the Kinks for me... More interesting albums than the Boys, imo.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 14:34
Not disagreeing with the inpact of B Wilson, but based on what ive read and heard, the influence the Kinks have on certain genres, also modern ones, are not to be shy about either. Oasis is as much The Kinks as they are the Beatles influenced, Blur, The Verve, plenty of the Indie rock scene, lots of punk, im pretty certain they also impacted the "englishes-ness" in early Genesis, i hear a certain mood similarity between Village Green and Selling England, but also Nursery Cryme.

Here is Peter Gabriel with a nice take on Waterloo Senset
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9m9CLACAtU

Edited by Icarium - July 21 2021 at 14:45
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 18:20
The Beach Boys by a mile, but mostly because of the years 1965 to 1967.

Never been a big Kinks fan.
Dr. Nakano View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Nakano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 17:07
I thought this would be very easy to answer, and I would obviously gravitate towards the Kinks. But upon proper reflection, and in terms of sounds that really shaped my perceptions, would have to go with the Beach Boys. The theremin on "Good Vibrations" an obvious standout...
I've always been so drawn to Tokyo...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 17:14
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Beachboyssmile.png
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 00:35
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

The Beach Boys by a mile, but mostly because of the years 1965 to 1967.
But "everyone" knows they peaked in 1970/1971. Well, to each his own, but I think they were rather horrible up to 66, somewhat overrated in 66/67, and that Surf's Up + Sunflower are their true gems.

-I think I'll still have to vote for Kinks, as they were/are my dad's favorite band, and just thinking about them makes me smile. Wonder Boy was one of my first ever favorite songs. I must have picked up the "message" somehow, even though I didn't understand a thing.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 11:18
Really love both bands, voted by the Kinks.

As i go into the world of Kinks i realize how huge they were, if there is a band that the beatles were watching out of the corner it was precisely this band along with the beach boys, the kinks were the first to create the distorted riffs that we know today in rock with the amazing song "you really got me".

while the Beatles and the Beach Boys gave the format of pop, The Rolling Stones made a tribute to R&B, the ones who shaped rock as we know it are the Kinks and they did it before the Who!.

However, due to a series of events including some due to the group´s own responsability and its constant attacks of violence (they were banned from entering to USA for 10 years for behaving like neanderthals) worse managers and relatively little promotion made their achievements go unnoticed.

What were those achievements? among them we can say that it  was the first band to include a hindu sitar in a rock song, listen to "See my Friends", they recorded the first videoclip with a plot and social criticism included; the kinks speak directly (and based on real events) of a relationship between a man and a travesti, they directly influence in genres such as Garage Rock, Punk, Hard Rock, New Wave, hardocre punk and indie rock.

They also generated the reverence of a wide musical world. from my beloved Cardiacs (who pay tribute with the cover " Suzanne Still Alive" to people as diverse as David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Blur, The Jam, Mark Hamill, etc.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 12:38
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Really love both bands, voted by the Kinks.

As i go into the world of Kinks i realize how huge they were, if there is a band that the beatles were watching out of the corner it was precisely this band along with the beach boys, the kinks were the first to create the distorted riffs that we know today in rock with the amazing song "you really got me".

while the Beatles and the Beach Boys gave the format of pop, The Rolling Stones made a tribute to R&B, the ones who shaped rock as we know it are the Kinks and they did it before the Who!.

However, due to a series of events including some due to the group´s own responsability and its constant attacks of violence (they were banned from entering to USA for 10 years for behaving like neanderthals) worse managers and relatively little promotion made their achievements go unnoticed.

What were those achievements? among them we can say that it  was the first band to include a hindu sitar in a rock song, listen to "See my Friends", they recorded the first videoclip with a plot and social criticism included; the kinks speak directly (and based on real events) of a relationship between a man and a travesti, they directly influence in genres such as Garage Rock, Punk, Hard Rock, New Wave, hardocre punk and indie rock.

They also generated the reverence of a wide musical world. from my beloved Cardiacs (who pay tribute with the cover " Suzanne Still Alive" to people as diverse as David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Blur, The Jam, Mark Hamill, etc.
this is an excellent post
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 17:42
I never knew what all the fuss was regarding the Beach Boys.

No contest; The Kinks by an English country mile!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 18:03
thanks Icarium, my english its very primitive!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>