Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Eurovision winners cite Gentle Giant as influence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eurovision winners cite Gentle Giant as influence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolfBoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurovision winners cite Gentle Giant as influence
    Posted: July 22 2021 at 05:11
It's recently come to my attention that GG has been cited among other 70s classic rock acts as one of Måneskin's influences. I haven't noticed it in the songs I've heard yet, but it's an interesting fact. 

Source: https://www.rollingstone.it/musica/i-maneskin-hanno-ventanni-lasciateci-sbagliare/536962/#Part1
E la mancanza di CD e instore tour induce a prudenza: per ora esce il singolo, poi per l’album si vedrà, tanto là fuori, come ricorda sospirando la bassista Victoria De Angelis, «è tutto improntato su elettronica e produzione» – in sostanza, la musica che garba ai teenager maschi, ormai riferimento dominante della discografia italiana. «Mentre noi ovviamente siamo influenzati dalle grandi band del passato, ognuno coi suoi gusti personali ma a tutti piacciono il mondo di Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie…». «Gentle Giant», sfodera un po’ imprevedibilmente il frontman Damiano David. Che poi con ironica spavalderia: «Ma il rock’n’roll non muore mai! Si nasconde ma poi torna con arroganza importante».

So the idea of prog in the Eurovision competition may not be entirely just a dream. LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 05:28
...translating a bit: the bassist mentions Zep, Mac and Bowie, then the singer interrupts saying "Gentle Giant"
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 06:55
Nice to know. I've noticed that many contemporay acts cite influences from the bands of the classic prog period. Sometime I don’t hear it, but others is quite obvious. 

Edited by Manuel - July 22 2021 at 08:51
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 07:51
I remember back when the annual Melodi Grand Prix (as it was called here in Denmark) was held and folks actually followed it closely. Pretty much a nation-wide party with everyone between the age of 15 and 70 getting down and dirty with some red wine, beers and Danish flags.
Gentle Giant influences though seem a tad wild..considering the type of music that often gets played….but then again I’ve often come across musicians that say all the right things and like all the same stuff in and about music as I do…yet make incredibly corny and overproduced music. Tim Christensen off of Danish band Dizzy Mizz Lizzy is like that. Great guy..who makes the most boring and toothless muzak.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 08:24
Måneskins musik is quite non-typical eurovision and many ecpressions are presented at every final, some experimental and daring number always manage to go all the way. The Georgian number this year was quite polarizing becouse it was very differnet and the ukraniam number also was progressive in some way. Måneskin is quite cool band, with a awesome bassplayer that plays quite cool bass.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 09:18
I don't hear much prog in Måneskin tbh. If I associate it with any other band, the first I come to think of is Franz Ferdinand (the middle eight).

I agree about Tim Christensen and Dizzy Mizz Lizzy btw. The essential Danish rock band of the 90's was Kashmir (Cruzential and onwards).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 09:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Nice to know. I've noticed that many contemporary acts cite influences from the bands of the classic prog period. Sometime I don’t hear it, but others is quite obvious. 

Hi,

I think that influences are a funny thing. One of the most important things is that we might think that the new band "sounds like", and I don't think that is the case in many ideas and thoughts about what someone's influences are.

I can't say, for example that Burroughs or Kerouac are influences for me at all in poetry and a lot of my writing, however, I probably could say something about the stream of consciousness that just goes through the wording of things ... and in many ways, it has no connection to them at all. Most of my influences come from meditations, dreams (the further part not the first immediate one!), and some visions, as long as all these are not related to anything "normal" or "human" ... in other words they are totally off in another place, time and space.

I suppose that someone could suggest GG as an influence if their style was very free form and mixed a lot of different things, but it might be a stretch, specially when Gary Green has said that in those early days they never wrote anything, and "just played". 

The sound of it, would not be an influence for me, but a copy!

Edited by moshkito - July 22 2021 at 09:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 09:46
I'm with Pedro on this one. Maneskin are pretty good but I don't hear any prog in their music. But then I don't mind. GG can be an influence in many ways, and anyone else listening doesn't need to hear that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 00:54
GG has a lot of hooks in their music , that's where it translates into pop. Also how do we know that this band is citing the prog stuff as an influence? Its like saying Genesis is an influence but that potentially encompasses a wide range of music inc the pop stuff.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 02:33
”Influenced by” is by no means the same as “sounds like”, or even “sounds similar”. Some bands make some of the influences overt in their composition, instrumentation, or playing; and some you might never realise unless the band let you know.

I know when I am reviewing I am far more likely to say “reminds me of” than “sounds like”, because sometimes a band can sound nothing particularly like another, and yet still remind you of that band. And to even infer that because it reminds me of something else, that something else was an influence would be wrong.

The most obvious example in recent times would be Ulver’s “Assassination…” album which drew many comparisons with Depeche Mode. Garm later revealed that though, of course, the band knew of DM, they had never listened to any of their music.

In a recent interview (not yet published) I mentioned the Ulver/DM comparisons, and wondered if it were “a case that there are only so many variations of sound, that it is inevitable that the odd musical coincidence occurs; or is it listener bias, where we (the listeners, and especially reviewers) impose a greater similarity than actually exists, and thus infer influence where there is none?

I think often we infer influences where they don’t really exist. The converse is also true, where we can pick up on influences that are not necessarily obvious.

Once after one of my reviews was published, the artist made contact with me to say how pleased I was to have said his music reminded me of a band that was one of his biggest influences. I was, apparently, the first to have ever made that connection, in all the reviews he had read. The band I was reminded of was actually one of his biggest influences. I was surprised, because I had read an interview where influences were listed, and the band I was reminded of had not been named. The reason was because the artist felt that people expect to hear influences, when that’s not always the case, so he mentioned in the interview only bands that he knew might be recognised in his music. He figured that if he mentioned a band that could not necessarily be heard in his music, he might be derided.

This whole comment thread sort of shows how that is the case. If not derision, exactly, there are certainly comments claiming that they hear no influence. Well, no offence, why should you? Influences do not need to be heard to exist. Sometimes they will be obvious in the sound, and sometimes they may never be known unless you ask.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 17:25
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

”Influenced by” is by no means the same as “sounds like”, or even “sounds similar”. Some bands make some of the influences overt in their composition, instrumentation, or playing; and some you might never realize unless the band let you know.

Hi,

This is pretty much what I mean ... as an example, from literature and film, I am pretty much a member of the stream of consciousness club, but it isn't like Elliot, Kerouac or Burroughs. Mine is more Living Theater/Jodorowski in the sense that it is theater/film based on extended improvisations ... not necessarily on any ideas or thoughts, or past memories.

In improvisation in these areas, is something that most musicians are not capable of doing ... after an hour you don't do "chops" anymore or the same thing, and things change. After the 2nd hour, they change even more, and by the 3rd hour even more, and no relation whatsoever to the start or beginning.

My biggest take for a lot of the "progressive" or "prog" groups these days, is that their work is not "developed" as much as it could, where the "influences" would end up hidden, or just about non-existent, or as is my case, most comments would be off since my "stream of consciousness" is my own, and not influenced by anyone else.

The hard part, is the same reason why "symphonic" is such an incredibly silly description for a "progressive" band, specially when it is all just a bunch of songs, and has no connection as such to the definition of the term, meaning that it was not defined by people that knew music or its history! This was an issue with my take on DD's Magma comments ... that this part could have been a hint of a future part which would match some of the criteria for "symphonic" works, but his work is mostly about "rock songs", not exactly music, specially when he is classically learned and trained. He tries to elevate rock music, and I'm OK with that, but doing so by showing that the musicians know more chords and notes than we do, or so it appears. This, of course, is NOT AN INFLUENCE at all ... since all the notes and scales are available and listed everywhere! 

And, of course, the worst part is it being listed as "symphonic" simply because it has keyboards ... there aren't many bands that don't use them, and almost every band that DOESN'T is not even considered progressive ... they are usually considered weird! And off its rocker! Just because it has a Hammond does not mean it "sounds like" someone else, which means we are not listening to the music ... we are associating the sounds!

Edited by moshkito - July 23 2021 at 17:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 00:12
I wouldn't have thought anybody participating in Eurovision would have ever heard of Gentle Giant.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 00:19
As a massive GG fan, this is very cool! Thumbs Up

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 05:23
Very cool, good for them, we shall say. But so far, I am almost completely unimpressed and uninterested in the music this Italian band produces... Great stuff for the greatly low standards of Eurovision, but outside of this fantasy world, putting them up against some other bands, so far they sound like a 3-day miracle... we'll see how these young guys will evolve.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 05:32
I heard the song for the very first time just now!
Yeah…err..not really my bag..but sounds about as hip as Conchita Wurst did methinks
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply