Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apprentice for Jazz Rock/Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apprentice for Jazz Rock/Fusion
    Posted: July 31 2021 at 15:58
(Someone shared this on the forum a while ago and I've been in love with it ever since. I'll do my best to write a biography based on the very scarce information available. Also, no photo of the band seems to exist on the web, except a recent low-res picture of band leader James Pastman)

Apprentice was an obscure and short-lived American jazz fusion group from Chicago, consisting of James Pastman (keyboards), Mitch Hayes (guitars), Kenny Nugent (bass), Jerry Leake (percussion) and Frank Stauffer (drums). During its brief lifespan, the band released only one album before disbanding: Rough Draft, recorded in Los Angeles in 1981 or 1982 and released in 1982 by Mainstream Records, a label that is credited with no other releases. The album showcases a complex, virtuosic and fast-paced jazz fusion style with clear influence from Return To Forever and Dixie Dregs. Only two of the band members are known to have continued pursuing their music career after the band's breakup: band leader and lead composer James Pastman, whose keyboards dominated the band's sound, went on to work as a film composer, while percussionist Jerry Leake has released three world jazz albums under his name since 2006.

ROUGH DRAFT (Studio album, 1982)
1. Rough Draft (6:04)
2. Barnstorming (6:48)
3. Prank (5:11)
4. Charlie Brown (2:37)
5. P.M. (Privately Maintained) (5:04)
6. Freeze Frame (4:39)
7. Time Change (7:00)
8. It's In The Cards (3:27)
Total Time 40:50
LP Mainstream Records MP 2482 (USA, 1982)

- James Pastman / acoustic & electric piano, Mini- & Micro-Moog, Oberheim Polyphonic synthesizer, clavinet, percussion
- Mitch Hayes / acoustic & electric guitars
- Kenny Nugent / bass
- Jerry Leake / vibes, marimba, hand drums & percussion
- Frank Stauffer / drums

Edited by Mirakaze - August 01 2021 at 05:56
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 19:05
First few minutes sound promising. I'll present it to the team

And thanks for presenting in the proper format. Especially tallying up the track times which don't exist on discogs. And you weren't kidding about no photo.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 21:41
Thanks, I may have been the OP for suggesting Apprentice to PA! 

They were an amazingly talented, young jazz-rock/fusion group from the Chicago area.  I used to see them at local bars & opening for established bands in the late 1970s-early 1980s.  They had two brilliant guitarists, excellent percussion & great songwriting, focused upon original tunes.  

The local Chicagoland music newspaper, "Illinois Entertainer," used to write about them, but I doubt if any of those exist any longer.  

I belong to a Chicago Facebook page about the local music scene, and someone posted this a few months ago. 

Edited by cstack3 - July 31 2021 at 21:48
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 06:10
^ That's great, thanks! And thank you also for bringing this band to my attention in the first place! Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 00:51
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

^ That's great, thanks! And thank you also for bringing this band to my attention in the first place! Smile

You are welcome!  I love it when PA members do a "deep dive" into obscure bands and music! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:27
Apprentice added.

Post Reply Post Reply