Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hergest Ridge 1974 v. Hergest Ridge 1976

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hergest Ridge 1974 v. Hergest Ridge 1976
    Posted: August 10 2021 at 08:04
Mike Oldfield's second album has been, and remains, one of my all-time favorite albums since it first came out. It is, also, my favorite Mike Oldfield album. 

Around 1980, however, I discovered that a second, remixed version of HR was created by Mike for his 1976 4 LP Boxed release. 

It took me a while to like the second version, with it's enhanced and added vocals and various other changes in levels and instrument positioning, but I soon found that I liked them both equally well (who could not love the combined voices of Mike's sister, Sally, and Mellow Candle's Clodagh Simonds along with David Bedford's choir?)--that, though they are different--the first more flat, quiet, and uniform, the second more multi-dimensional and dynamic--I love them both for their unique expressions of Mike's temperament and maturation process. 

Has anyone else here explored the two versions with any serious effort and discerned their likes and dislikes as well as preferences?

Also, did anyone here ever see the live performances of Ridge--either with Steve Hillage or Andy Summers or even the David Bedford version?

I'm curious. And excited.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 10:49
Never heard it or even knew it existed. Sounds interesting.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Never heard it or even knew it existed. Sounds interesting.

Yes! As a matter of fact, Mike so much preferred the 1976 quadraphonic mix that he formally stated that he wanted it for all future re-issues of the album. 

Both versions are available, however, on the 2010 CD re-release.

I was owner of the original 1974 version for years before I found out that there was another version. As I said in OP, it took me a while to "come to terms" with the remix but I have to admit, it did smooth out some of the rough spots from the original--and it brought forward (or in) the amazing vocals.

Drew Fisher
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 14:25
 I owned Box for a long time.  It took me a while to adjust to the oboe section on side 1 which is far and a way my fave part of the album.  But the sound quality was much much better
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 14:42
I never heard the 1976 version, but now I'm curious. I'll have to buy BOX and give it a try.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 20:40
I have one of the newer re-releases, and it does have two versions, though I thought one was the original, and the other a remix done at the time of the re-release. It was the same with my copies of Ommadawn and Incantations. In all cases I actually liked better the new mixes.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2021 at 04:19
I'm reading this here:
Originally posted by tubular.net tubular.net wrote:

Despite his 1976 remix - which replaced the original mix on all subsequent LP pressings and all CDs - Mike seemingly remained unhappy with the mix of Hergest Ridge, leading to him remixing the album again in 2010. All CD releases now use the 2010 mix, though the Deluxe Edition also includes the original 1974 mix.

Listening to it now. It sounds good but I will have to listen to the 1974 and 1976 mixes to compare and listen for the seven differences... Still, I'm not really a fan of this album (I prefer the QE2 - Discovery album run...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2021 at 07:21
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I'm reading this here:
Originally posted by tubular.net tubular.net wrote:

Despite his 1976 remix - which replaced the original mix on all subsequent LP pressings and all CDs - Mike seemingly remained unhappy with the mix of Hergest Ridge, leading to him remixing the album again in 2010. All CD releases now use the 2010 mix, though the Deluxe Edition also includes the original 1974 mix.

Listening to it now. It sounds good but I will have to listen to the 1974 and 1976 mixes to compare and listen for the seven differences... Still, I'm not really a fan of this album (I prefer the QE2 - Discovery album run...).

Thanks for that update! I didn't know this! Now I'll have to compare the 74, 76, and 2010 versions! (Which, because I LOVE this album so much, does not bother me in the least.)

So sad that Mike has never been happy with the album. I consider it one of the top four or five absolute masterpieces of pastoral, neo-mediæval prog--which is probably my absolute favorite style of music. (Give me Tellemann, Tallis, Palestrina, Vivaldi, Gregorian chant, Faun, Mediæval Bæbes, Corde Oblique, The amazing Blondel, Flairck, Five-Storey Ensemble, early Karda Estra, Geese and the Ghost, Principe di un giorno, or Hugsjá any day of the week!)

Drew Fisher
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2021 at 00:20
<Struggling with some computer issues so apologies for the brevity>

Boxed - more atmospheric and stripped down to the composition.

Original - more flowery maybe overproduced slightly.

Like both but prefer Boxed. Also that was the first version I owned.

melodic58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melodic58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 02:41
Hergest Ridge was recorded as a live concert back in the day, and a bootleg exists.
In my opinion, this is the most whimsical and evocative version if you are seeking the pastoral sublime....
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 09:05
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

(who could not love the combined voices of Mike's sister, Sally, and Mellow Candle's Clodagh Simonds along with David Bedford's choir?)

I'm so glad to see you mention Clodagh Simonds.  She gets overlooked way too often.  So much so, in fact, that even those few that know her from "Mellow Candle" don't even know she has a new band called "Fovea Hex" and has put out some high quality music, sort of a folk/electronic hybrid which is quite amazing.  That project is listed on this site, by the way....  FOVEA HEX discography and reviews (progarchives.com)  I highly recommend listening to the album "Here is Where We Used to Sing".  

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 06:36
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

(who could not love the combined voices of Mike's sister, Sally, and Mellow Candle's Clodagh Simonds along with David Bedford's choir?)

I'm so glad to see you mention Clodagh Simonds.  She gets overlooked way too often.  So much so, in fact, that even those few that know her from "Mellow Candle" don't even know she has a new band called "Fovea Hex" and has put out some high quality music, sort of a folk/electronic hybrid which is quite amazing.  That project is listed on this site, by the way....  FOVEA HEX discography and reviews (progarchives.com)  I highly recommend listening to the album "Here is Where We Used to Sing".  

Thanks, Mike! I'd forgetten about Fovea Hex. I'm listening to them (from your bandcamp link) as I write this and am, once again, reminded of the unique beauty of that voice. Quite similar to a modern day favorite of mine, Julia Holter.

Edited by BrufordFreak - August 23 2021 at 06:37
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 06:38
Originally posted by melodic58 melodic58 wrote:

Hergest Ridge was recorded as a live concert back in the day, and a bootleg exists.
In my opinion, this is the most whimsical and evocative version if you are seeking the pastoral sublime....

I've not heard of this but am not surprised that such a thing exists. Oh! to have been able to see that tour!

Drew Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply