Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everything You Need to Know About Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everything You Need to Know About Prog Rock
    Posted: August 17 2021 at 06:45
Everything You Need to Know About Prog Rock, according to Discogs.

Quite an interesting read.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 06:48
Very nice intro to somebody who's not familiar with the genre. Everything? No, but a good intro.
Progressive Enjoyer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progressive Enjoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 06:53
It's a really nice look into progressive-rock, but it seems to focus somewaht on the English scene, leaving out people from the american scene like Zappa and Beefhart. Good intro though Smile.
"You know what you are, you don't give a damn" Peter Gabriel
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 06:58
I surely didn't know everything about prog rock that I needed to know. For sure I didn't know that two of the ten "essential prog rock albums" were made by  Cressida and Fantasy. Ouch
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Everything You Need to Know About Prog Rock, according to Discogs.

Quite an interesting read.

Thanks! That was a fascinating introduction to the world of Prog Rock and it was interesting to note that "Technically, the origins of Progressive Rock lay in Jazz", so that settles the long-running debate over whether or not Miles Davis should be included in the hallowed halls of Prog Archives. Smile

It's also good to see that two of my all-time favourite albums by Cressida and Fantasy are listed as two out of the ten most essential prog albums of all time. Thumbs Up Clap
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 08:02
That's actually rather pisspoor. No mention of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and not even one reference to the Canterbury Scene.

Also no kudos to the experimental electronic music from the 1950s and completely left out the German Krautrock scene as well.

Thumbs down

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 08:39
I don't think it has ever been translated into English, but the book "PROG" by Donato Zoppo, an Italian journalist and reviewer is the most complete and well-done history of the genre that I've read.
Nothing to do with that blog thing, and also good for newbies.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 08:45
So Rush are neo-prog and A Passion Play is an essential prog album but Thick As A Brick isn't?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 08:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

That's actually rather pisspoor. No mention of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and not even one reference to the Canterbury Scene.

It does mention Caravan and Egg.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 08:54
Hi,

I really do not think that all of Progressive Music is about indulgence. I'm of the opinion that the person that wrote that was simply trying to find something to say to get our attention.

All the arts, in their history have always had some form of what many considered indulgence, but it was never a fair comment, when the artist did it again and again, and it became an expression.

It could be said, by those around Mozart in the courts specially that they would think of his work as indulgent ... but 50 years later and certainly today no one really looks at him as indulgent!

Poor start and just another fan speaking out on social media like situation. Sad, because we will never elevte our music beyond the pop idiocy that it is described with.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 10:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Thanks! That was a fascinating introduction to the world of Prog Rock and it was interesting to note that "Technically, the origins of Progressive Rock lay in Jazz", so that settles the long-running debate over whether or not Miles Davis should be included in the hallowed halls of Prog Archives. Smile

Damn, I've lived under a misapprehension for the past several decades in thinking prog's main roots were 60's psychedelia.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 10:17

Damn, I've lived under a misapprehension for the past several decades in thinking prog's main roots were 60's psychedelia.

well, a lot of prog is rooted in psychedelia. You are not wrong. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

well, a lot of prog is rooted in psychedelia. You are not wrong. 

The thing that makes prog what it is, is that it comes from all kinds of influences; rock, psychedelia, jazz, classical, world music, folk music, etc, etc, etc.  That's what makes it progressive is combining all of these influences, and then throwing in unpredictability and new ideas in composition and instrumentation.  The article mentions some of this, but then fails to include artists and albums that take influences from a lot of these influences.  A lot of people do the same thing.  That's why there are so many opinions about what makes music prog and what doesn't.  

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 10:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It does mention Caravan and Egg.

A good analysis would explain how Soft Machine and Caravan were instrumental in the prog scene

Mentioning a band or two out of context is lazy

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:08
"...progressive rock is about musical indulgence."

Probably about as simple of a definition as I've seen.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:14

No, you're absolutely right - prog's main roots were 60's psychedelia, but it depends how far back you want to go. After all, several classical composers could have been modern-day prog musicians..... For instance:- Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Ravel's Bolero & Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet suite have all now become prog epics. Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:42
I took a look at this, and much gets glossed over and neglected, which makes me realise how big a world "everything" you need to know about prog rock really is.
           That is just my feeling on it, as one of my feet is in the "known world" of progressive music, with another foot planted just as firmly in the appreciation of obscure and overlooked artists.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:44
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The thing that makes prog what it is, is that it comes from all kinds of influences; rock, psychedelia, jazz, classical, world music, folk music, etc, etc, etc.  That's what makes it progressive is combining all of these influences, and then throwing in unpredictability and new ideas in composition and instrumentation.  The article mentions some of this, but then fails to include artists and albums that take influences from a lot of these influences.  A lot of people do the same thing.  That's why there are so many opinions about what makes music prog and what doesn't.  

Exactly, same as the rock and roll of the 1950's evolved out of jump blues, with strong influences from jazz, R&B, country, gospel, country, swing, boogie-woogie  etc.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:46

No, you're absolutely right - prog's main roots were 60's psychedelia, but it depends how far back you want to go. After all, several classical composers could have been modern-day prog musicians..... For instance:- Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Ravel's Bolero & Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet suite have all now become prog epics. Smile

I'd also chuck Stockhausen and Cage into that mix, along with other avant-garde 20th century composers.

Edited by Progishness - August 19 2021 at 05:37

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 11:47
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

"...progressive rock is about musical indulgence."

Probably about as simple of a definition as I've seen.  

I sometimes define prog as 'music you endure and enjoy in equal measures'.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>