Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everything You Need to Know About Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 12:27
Interesting read, but aside from those rarities listed at the end, nothing really new for anyone who's already a pretty decent prog fan. Might be a good introduction for someone getting their feet wet though.

I will say, they incorrectly listed Hipgnosis as the artist on Rush's Hemispheres. Any major Rush fan knows Hugh Syme has done all their album covers from Caress Of Steel through the present. But any article on a major website attempting to cover that much ground is bound to have mistakes.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 12:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I really do not think that all of Progressive Music is about indulgence. I'm of the opinion that the person that wrote that was simply trying to find something to say to get our attention.

All the arts, in their history have always had some form of what many considered indulgence, but it was never a fair comment, when the artist did it again and again, and it became an expression.

It could be said, by those around Mozart in the courts specially that they would think of his work as indulgent ... but 50 years later and certainly today no one really looks at him as indulgent!

Poor start and just another fan speaking out on social media like situation. Sad, because we will never elevte our music beyond the pop idiocy that it is described with.

I don't find myself agreeing with you often, but yeah "indulgence" definitely caught my eye in the wrong way. Prog is art. It can be about "indulgence," but even Rush sounded pretty tongue in cheek when they gave that subtitle to La Villa Stangiato. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 12:32
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's actually rather pisspoor. No mention of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and not even one reference to the Canterbury Scene.

It does mention Caravan and Egg.

A good analysis would explain how Soft Machine and Caravan were instrumental in the prog scene

Mentioning a band or two out of context is lazy

Instrumental? I thought they had vocals!

Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's actually rather pisspoor. No mention of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and not even one reference to the Canterbury Scene.

It does mention Caravan and Egg.

A good analysis would explain how Soft Machine and Caravan were instrumental in the prog scene

Mentioning a band or two out of context is lazy

Instrumental? I thought they had vocals!

Wink

Heehee

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 09:19
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I don't find myself agreeing with you often, but yeah "indulgence" definitely caught my eye in the wrong way. Prog is art.

Hi,

Thx. My biggest worry with the identification with "songs", is that it is not exactly looked at as "art", unless, of course (how van we miss that?) it is a huge number one song in all the polls from here to the moon!

While I believe that many folks, even here, are really well versed in the quantity and quality of the music, my concern is that an article like that can not even look at BANCO and realize ... wait a minute ... there is no indulgence there! And even AD2, which was different in almost every album. Their indulgence? Not giving a damn about what we thought which is an artist's prerogative.

Thus I look at all the music as valuable and important, not just a song that got a number 55 years ago, and that we NOW think was indulgent. I don't think that term will go far in  the annals of music history!

Edited by moshkito - August 18 2021 at 09:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 09:28
No mention of Italian prog?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 10:09
It's a noble attempt to create a coehesive mini-history of prog but just doesn't capture the magnanimous and diverse nature of prog's origins.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 12:19
Not bad. Not great. The writer probably did a better job than I could have done!!!
The Prog Corner
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 15:12
Meh. It seems to be a bit light on anything past the seventies. Also, that's the first time I've seen the Enid referred to as "neo prog."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12