Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 50 Progressive Rock Artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 50 Progressive Rock Artists
    Posted: August 19 2021 at 15:16
As just posted by Ultimate Classic Rock website.......

...."Turns out this list of the 50 Best Progressive Rock Artists was based on opinion, not objective fact. There is no guidebook or grand methodology: We didn't force ourselves to shoehorn in a certain number of acts from a particular style or era; we didn't consult Metacritic or the Billboard charts; we didn't require a band to have multiple Minimoogs in their keyboard rigs. We just thought about it a lot — and ultimately went with our gut..."

Read More: Top 50 Progressive Rock Artists | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/progressive-rock-artists/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 16:09
That's not actually a bad list, they include classic & modern, USA & Europe, Avant and Canterbury.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 16:15
Lots of hair!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 16:58
I think the list is a bit thin on post seventies prog but other than that it's a half way decent list. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 17:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

That's not actually a bad list, they include classic & modern, USA & Europe, Avant and Canterbury.

Only the most obvious modern bands it seems. Where is Big Big Train? Heck even IQ isn't on there and neither is Opeth.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 19 2021 at 17:00
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 17:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Only the most obvious modern bands it seems. Where is Big Big Train? Heck even IQ isn't on there and neither is Opeth.

Indeed so that's even better  

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 20 2021 at 04:54
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 17:05
not a bad list at all
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 17:42
Hi,

It has one thing that almost all other lists do not have. All the bands listed were "original" in their forms, and showed it in their work, and not exactly copies of something else. In that sense, this (so far) is one of the best lists I have ever seen, and for once, it has very nice things to say about them instead of really poor comments. 

About the only thing I actually miss, is not seeing something like THE INCREDIBLE STRING BAND, who were extremely progressive with their attitude towards "poetry" rather than some kind of music and idea about music, and their material is amazing to one's ears ... but in all reality I do not with to remove any of those 50 to add the ISB ... I would rather they were included as one of them!

Nice list ... specially because IT WAS ABOUT THE ARTISTRY of the music, and not the "fame" of a handful of fans, that won't even listen to one third of those bands. I think I am only missing stuff by those folks in maybe 5 or 6 bands. I have all the others, including the majority of their eponymous stuff.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 17:56

Indeed so that's even

The bottom line is this list would be a bit different(at least as far as the newer bands go) if it were done by actual prog fans. ;) I'm not saying Tool and the Mars Volta and similar bands are bad(well C&C kind of are) but there are tons of newer bands most prog fans would chose over those imo.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 19:48
I agree this was a pretty refreshing list! Nice to see some members of the big six not make the top six too, in place of ever popular bands who always seem to be argued for inclusion. Spanned the decades reasonably well while also getting a little obscure in places, and wasn't wholly centered on England.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 20:52
There are some great ones listed, essential ones; and ones that I have heard that I don't care for. And some glaring omissions. But I guess most of these lists end up that way.....
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 21:28
Not a bad list. Certainly not mine, but quite good.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 21:40
The person who made the list is probably a collector of vintage prog and doesn't know much about the lesser known more recent prog bands. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 19 2021 at 21:41
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 03:20
Yep, good list. Would serve perfectly someone who is eager to explore the genre.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 05:48
I've seen worst.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 07:31
pretty good list - great to see bands like Eloy and Le Orme getting recognition
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 07:48

Opeth number 20
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 10:25
Just another list compiled by critics. Who gives an f'.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 13:03
I think the list shows a more focused, deeper thought out list rather than just the normalcy. To me the argument, if any, is the top 3, 4...And I would not have put FZ in the top 10 at all, reason is his own quote which he is spot on with.
I would have put CAN higher up also...........But yes the list is actually very good.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 17:49
Done by somebody who has some proper knowledge... of course one can debate lots of things, but there's some good stuff there and one of the better lists I've seen. Managed to list one band  I had never heard of... can anyone of you introduce Coheed and Cambria to me? Apparently they're better than Focus, Area, Henry Cow & Procol Harum, not to mention my personal gateway to prog Manfred Mann's Earthband (nice to see them listed though, if at no. 50)!? Also listing some more modern stuff is nice, but Mars Volta over ELP? I ask you...

Edited by Lewian - August 20 2021 at 17:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>