Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 50 Progressive Rock Artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 18:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Done by somebody who has some proper knowledge... of course one can debate lots of things, but there's some good stuff there and one of the better lists I've seen. Managed to list one band  I had never heard of... can anyone of you introduce Coheed and Cambria to me? Apparently they're better than Focus, Area, Henry Cow & Procol Harum, not to mention my personal gateway to prog Manfred Mann's Earthband (nice to see them listed though, if at no. 50)!? Also listing some more modern stuff is nice, but Mars Volta over ELP? I ask you...
I was big into Coheed & Cambria back around 2002-2006. The first 3 albums are very good, I used to call them more of alternative metal. There is a storyline to the first albums which is actually a pretty good read/concept, saw them live once. They have dropped off my radar over the past 10 years.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 03:01
I enjoyed reading the comments and objectively have no issue with King Crimson at NO1. I would switch ELP and Camel round in the placings but that's just a bit of nit picking on my part!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Done by somebody who has some proper knowledge... of course one can debate lots of things, but there's some good stuff there and one of the better lists I've seen. Managed to list one band  I had never heard of... can anyone of you introduce Coheed and Cambria to me? Apparently they're better than Focus, Area, Henry Cow & Procol Harum, not to mention my personal gateway to prog Manfred Mann's Earthband (nice to see them listed though, if at no. 50)!? Also listing some more modern stuff is nice, but Mars Volta over ELP? I ask you...
I was big into Coheed & Cambria back around 2002-2006. The first 3 albums are very good, I used to call them more of alternative metal. There is a storyline to the first albums which is actually a pretty good read/concept, saw them live once. They have dropped off my radar over the past 10 years.

Thanks, I was half expecting that nobody else here would know how they earned their spot there either. Can't remember having ever seen them mentioned here. I guess I should listen to at least a few tracks so that I can tick that box off... with the potential to discover something good.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 06:54
I suggest you listen to Coheed and Cambria on youtube before buying them. I don't think they are very good but your mileage may vary. To me they sounded like just about every hard rock band/ emo band from that time period. I wasn't very impressed. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 07:10
Yeah, dipped into three or four tracks now. They seem to be the kind of band I'd be amazed how good they are if I got to see them live randomly on a festival, say, but not up with the proper favourites and big ones. As far as from that little test listening I can tell. Not sure what's so special about them, in my impression there was quite a bit of stuff more or less like this around by the early 2000s.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 07:17
They're a nice band, sure they're great live but I doubt I'd buy more than a couple of albums.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 08:41
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Just another list compiled by critics. Who gives an f'.

I'm with you. I simply don't get why everyone is so obsessed with 'best of' lists

There are moments i enjoy band x and others i enjoy band y

At any given moment a certain band may be my favorite and then not the next

Having said that it's not a horrible list but Vangelis? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 14:50
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 23:17
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.
Yuppers.....Top lists will be around till the end of time and even beyond. "Do you like Coke or Pepsi??" "Oh really why?? The other one is better.........!!" LOL

I think due to all the progressive rock on YouTube right now is why you are seeing so many prog lists in mags/online.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 03:14
Provides something to talk about doesn't it? I mean what the f else is happening in prog nowadays anyway? We might just as well squabble over what's NO1 , NO2 etc ..or we could shut up shop 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 22:44
A lot is happening in prog nowadays. Which makes it all the more useless to keep reiterating over the same set of bands forever.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 00:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I suggest you listen to Coheed and Cambria on youtube before buying them. I don't think they are very good but your mileage may vary. To me they sounded like just about every hard rock band/ emo band from that time period. I wasn't very impressed. 
Obvious omissions are Big Big Train, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater and The Flower Kings who have much better prog rock credentials than the above. However I really enjoyed reading the comments in the list. They're expertly written.

Edited by iluvmarillion - August 23 2021 at 00:34
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 02:24
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

A lot is happening in prog nowadays. Which makes it all the more useless to keep reiterating over the same set of bands forever.

nothing earth shattering though
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

nothing earth shattering though

Here are a few examples of what I consider current "earth-shattering" prog.  There are a lot more out there, but this first one was my #1 pick for 2020

Here's an another impressive album that was released earlier this year:

Just a couple of quick examples, there are many other impressive examples out there.  I love both the classic prog and the current prog and find a lot of great music in both.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Obvious omissions are Big Big Train, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater and The Flower Kings who have much better prog rock credentials than the above. However I really enjoyed reading the comments in the list. They're expertly written.

obvious omissions? why obvious? They're just omissions. 
Better credentials? That's subjective. 

I agree about Dream Theater. I checked the list twice, they should have been there, they were influential at some point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12