Poll Question: which song is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [59.02%]
25 [40.98%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 15:12
Starless would be one of the first songs I'd choose to introduce someone to both King Crimson and prog. The Cinema Show is great too - probably my third favorite song on Selling England... but it's not Starless
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 15:29
The Cinema Show. Both songs belong to the best of these bands' respective catalogs.

Edited by someone_else - August 20 2021 at 15:30
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 19:13
As much as I love both, I must go with Starless. Live version from the 70's.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 19:37
Cinema Show because it has a flow which I love.  
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 21:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Starless is a masterpiece.

Both are masterpieces in my subjective judgment, but I voted Starless.

Exactly this, both are masterpieces but i voted Cinema Show
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 04:38
Cinema Show (studio) is fantastic and then comes to a slow stop annoyingly hence why the live version is a must.
Starless - better as a studio piece although John Wetton always did great live versions. Voted for that one.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 04:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Starless would be one of the first songs I'd choose to introduce someone to both King Crimson and prog. The Cinema Show is great too - probably my third favorite song on Selling England... but it's not Starless

This.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 09:46
Starless narrowly over The Cinema Show. Very difficult choice as they're both amazing songs.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 10:02
It's quite interesting to see the diversity of opinion here when it comes to the claims, or it would be if it weren't so par for the course. There could be some good debate here if it didn't ultimately boil down to taste and personal bias. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 20:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Cinema Show (studio) is fantastic and then comes to a slow stop annoyingly hence why the live version is a must.
Starless - better as a studio piece although John Wetton always did great live versions. Voted for that one.

I like both better live. Cinema show gets a bit more of life on live versions, specially on the keyboard solo part. Starless, the first versions I heard were the live ones (which were actually played before the studio one), and for me, that intro melody was made to be played with a violin (even though I don't have proof, I believe it to be actually true), and doesn't sound quiet as beautiful with the guitars... and the same melody reprise at the end, I find it more powerful with the electric guitars than with the sax (though perhaps it's necessary to hear the right live version, for me, the one on Collectable King Crimson vol 1, live in Mainz disc).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 07:23
Absolutely as to be Starless
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 07:54
Starless for me

Prog On!
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 15:04
very tough. Starless is a piece of music that is truly superb. However TCS has given me mores smiles over the last almost half century.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12