Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IQ & Cardiacs from two albums of the late 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you have preference, which of these duos do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [38.10%]
13 [61.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ & Cardiacs from two albums of the late 80s
    Posted: August 20 2021 at 16:02
I was going to do this as albums, but instead I'm focusing on the longest tracks from the final two studio albums of the 80s from Cardiacs and IQ and setting up this as a "duel of duos".

I've done various blank vs. Cardiacs, and in this case these two IQ tracks are from two of the lowest average rated IQ albums, but those IQ albums have considerably more ratings than the Cardiacs albums in PA at least. So while more people who like IQ and rate/review are likely to disfavour these two IQ albums, and among Cardiacs fans these two albums are generally well-regarded (not as well-known as Sing to God), Cardiacs generally do not get as much attention in the PA database and it may be that most here would still prefer these IQ albums to the Cardiacs ones (Cardiacs has seemed more more niche than IQ in PA, but the reverse is true in other places, just as avant prog seems more niche than Neo-Prog commonly at PA -- though I think Cardiacs has much in common with plenty of Neo-Prog). Also I know some consider Cardiacs to have nothing to do with progressive music or to be complex or challenging enough to satisfy, and I'd say all four albums have pop-rock qualities.

In PA, Cardiacs' A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window has 278 ratings with 23 reviews. Cardiacs' On Land and in the Sea has 142 ratings with 11 reviews.

IN PA IQ's Nomzano has 362 ratings with 29 reviews. IQ's Are You Sitting Comfortably ? has 337 ratings with 20 reviews.

Interestingly, at Rate Your Music, the Cardiacs albums have many more ratings than the IQ ones.

At RYM, A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window has 2,385 ratings and 53 reviews. On Land and in the Sea has 1,271 ratings and 35 reviews.

At RYM, Nomzano has 298 ratings and 18 reviews. Are You Sitting Comfortably ? has 247 ratings and 13 reviews.

An interesting difference -- of course PA seems to be significantly symphonic prog (and melodic rock) driven, whereas at RYM things such as Krautrock and more experimental music seems to be more respected than here amongst many of those into Prog umbrella music. RYM seems more hipster as one put it. RYM seems to represent my tastes in progressive music and related more than PA generally, and I refer to their charts more.

Instead of doing the albums, I'll do the longest tracks from all four of the studio albums since many won't be familiar with the four albums. Also, I think the IQ songs are well-regarded ones from those albums -- I like Human Nature (an album is more then the sum of its parts, one might say however). So its not about the albums on the whole, just these tracks.

"The Whole World Window" (off A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window)

"The Everso Closely Guarded Line" (off On Land and in the Sea)

"Human Nature" (off Nomzamo)

"Wurensh" (off Are You Sitting Comfortably?)

I doubt many will be familiar with all four tracks, and being long ones, I doubt many will take the time to check out the music they don't know (or remember well), so I don't expect much response. I don't think of this as a contest, and the fun is in the making and comparing for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 21:26
love both bands, but nothings compares to "The Everso Closely Guarded Line" grand finale, those mellotrons!!!!

I respect IQ a lot, and enjoy the vocals of Menel on both albums, underrated singer 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 03:41
IQ is a neoprog band (if I'm informed correctly about what that is) who have a lot of material I like, including those actually (more so Human Nature). They don't have the genius of the Cardiacs though. (Also IQ have about the worst band name I have come across, only contested by Death and the like, and probably not even beaten by those.)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 06:26
In the 80s I would have chosen IQ without hesitation - I only really got into the Cardiacs in the 90s. If it was about the albums, I would have chosen Cardiacs now, but this song selection makes it damn difficult... Human Nature and Wurensh are two of their best Menel-era songs, accessible and at the same time very "IQ"... The Cardiacs songs are wonderful, but The Everso Closely Guarded Line is not for every day... So, I think I go with IQ today.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 06:48
Cardiacs get my vote.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 08:20
While sometimes I say I don't care about the poll results and am more interested in the comments, I am pleased to see this as even as it is. Despite these IQ albums have quite low average ratings, I find the IQ tracks (especially Human Nature) to be good.

For me "The Everso Closely Guarded Line" is for everyday, and it plays a significant role in On Land and in the Sea being my favourite Cardiacs album (for a long time my fave was Sing to God), my second favourite studio produced one likely being the compilation Songs for Ships and Irons which features the awesome "Big Ship". My favourites, however, are subject to change depending on the day.

By the way, does anyone know of any interesting covers of IQ songs? Of course there are a great many covers of Cardiacs songs, with this a capella style cover of the whole Sing to God double-album called Singin'to God being a particular favourite of mine: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOwe-ErrEN0xprxPLEGq-JiQQbuy8cSLs*

* Note that the playlist and videos were put up by the person behind the 180 Gs, who also did a The Residents a capella style cover album. Maybe I'll do a topic, if I can't find an existing one with search, on album covers where the whole album was covered. I'm one of those who enjoys covers if done in a way that interests me.

NOTE: I do find it interesting that the Cardiacs albums have so many more ratings at RYM, whereas here the IQ ones have more ratings, but then RYM is a general music site and IQ might now be at all well-known outsideof Prog circles. Before joining this I belonged to a couple of sci-fi sites and Cardiacs got mentioned by some members quite a lot, which is when I started to really get into the band - I had heard it on university radio before and some acquaintances of mine who were in a punk band were into the band. I had never heard of the band IQ before joining this site. I agree that it's not the best name, and when I first heard it I had thought it would be more brainy/ nerdy, and so was actually disappointed -- songs about advanced physics, mathematics and the like would have been fun from IQ (unless they have done such things and I missed them, but then perhaps I would expect them to be in "math rock"). ;)

Edited by Logan - August 21 2021 at 08:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 08:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I had never heard of the band IQ before joining this site. I agree that it's not the best name, and when I first heard it I had thought it would be more brainy/ nerdy, and so was actually disappointed -- songs about advanced physics, mathematics and the like would have been fun from IQ (unless they have done such things and I missed them, but then perhaps I would expect them to be in "math rock"). ;)

LOL  Good heavens! NO! I would never have been into IQ if they had sung about physics and mathematics... Gracious!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 09:15
I went with IQ, but not by a huge margin or anything. Those are the best songs they did with Menel, along with "Nostalgia/Falling Apart at the Seams" (which they initially kept in their live show after Nicholls' return).

The "Everso" finale reminds me a lot of IQ, too.

Btw, "Wurensh" = "New Rush," which is how Mercury was trying to groom them, believe it or not. That's the story I heard a long time ago.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 09:39
Went with the Cardiacs
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 04:09
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I went with IQ, but not by a huge margin or anything. Those are the best songs they did with Menel, along with "Nostalgia/Falling Apart at the Seams" (which they initially kept in their live show after Nicholls' return).

No Love Lost was probably the best Menel song for me, IQ even used it as an encore track when Peter Nicholls returned. Paul Menel is a great lyric writer but got dragged a bit into prog , a genre I suspect he didn't care much for. 

Btw, "Wurensh" = "New Rush," which is how Mercury was trying to groom them, believe it or not. That's the story I heard a long time ago.

both used the producer Peter Collins around the same time so makes sense!

Edited by richardh - August 22 2021 at 04:11
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:25
Human Nature & Wurensh
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 08:56

I heard about the New Rush thing as well back in the day but I don’t think there’s any truth in it! “New (and much better!) Yes”, or “New early-Collins era Genesis” maybe….but they’re wonderful whatever way you see them😎

Here’s a fantastic IQ cover by the way:

https://youtu.be/Cf0J9rp2xNI

Not sure if that’s working, but google IQ promises cover!

Edited by essexboyinwales - September 26 2022 at 08:59
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:04
IQ were the new everything for a while , even being compared to Dire Straits at one point lol.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:28
I'd say this is the easiest poll I have ever had to vote in...

But during our last local elections, our ballot paper read something like:

Tories  ___

Independent Alliance __
(For whom, literally every other political party has agreed to stand aside for, in order to finally remove the above appalling shambles out of power)

I think that was possibly slightly more straight forward... LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:34
IQ
though those are  2 of my least favorites by them
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:52
Blimey, IQ had peaked by the mid-80s whereas Cardiacs went from strength to strength.  
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 10:02
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Blimey, IQ had peaked by the mid-80s whereas Cardiacs went from strength to strength.  

Why do you think IQ 'peaked' in the 80's, when everything they have done since represents one of the finest bodies of prog ever released?? Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 10:24
I’ll try listening to these Cardiacs tracks - I’m in bed with Covid!😑
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 10:26
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Get well soon, my friend... let us know which band you're taking to your desert island.. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 10:51
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Get well soon, my friend... let us know which band you're taking to your desert island.. Smile

Oh it would definitely be IQ😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>