Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did you hear the new BTBAM record?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did you hear the new BTBAM record?
    Posted: August 21 2021 at 00:24
In case you missed it, forum users, Between the Buried and Me (North Carolina-based extreme prog metal legends) released their tenth studio album yesterday. It is called 'Colors II' and it serves as a sequel to their 2007 breakthrough (both creative and commercial) 'Colors', which is now considered by many a classic in the genre; It also happens to be an album I like a lot.
So, this new album, as promised by the band, is REALLY GOOD! Just after one listen, I can safely say it is a pretty cool collection, a worthy successor to their 2007 release, and I think it will end up in many 'Best of 2021' lists at the end of the year. (This is on the premise that many more listens shall come Big smile)

Have you heard it already? If not, I will link it down.
How did you find it? Thoughts, opinions so far? Curious to hear.

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - August 21 2021 at 00:24
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 00:30
My buddy texted me yesterday ranting and raving about it; gonna give it a spin this afternoon.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 14:28
I like it and I am not a fan of this band. Very well done.
The Prog Corner
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 14:33
Nope. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 23:49
Yeah, this recording is stellar, dudes! I'd expect nothing less from BTBAM. It's amazing going back what, 20 years and listening to tracks like Aspirations now, lmao.

I got to see Cynic open for them about a decade back for Great Misdirect tour; that was an incredible show!

TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 00:11
It's pretty good. There are a few points in the record where they bogged down in BTBAM genericism (particularly near the beginning), but it's an overall strong release. Relative to their oeuvre, it's middle-of-the-pack, falling below Parallax II, Colors, The Great Misdirect, and a combined Automata in my book. Definitely still recommended, and I'm still hyped to see them on their current tour, but moments do feel like they're resting on their laurels.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 04:09
Originally posted by TheEliteExtremophile TheEliteExtremophile wrote:

It's pretty good. There are a few points in the record where they bogged down in BTBAM genericism (particularly near the beginning), but it's an overall strong release. Relative to their oeuvre, it's middle-of-the-pack, falling below Parallax II, Colors, The Great Misdirect, and a combined Automata in my book. Definitely still recommended, and I'm still hyped to see them on their current tour, but moments do feel like they're resting on their laurels.
I couldn't agree more with you, this is quite how I feel about at the moment.
HeyItsJustJP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyItsJustJP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 18:33
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Yeah, this recording is stellar, dudes! I'd expect nothing less from BTBAM. It's amazing going back what, 20 years and listening to tracks like Aspirations now, lmao.

I got to see Cynic open for them about a decade back for Great Misdirect tour; that was an incredible show!

Saw them with Cynic as well, one of my favorite shows!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 01:23
Originally posted by HeyItsJustJP HeyItsJustJP wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Saw them with Cynic as well, one of my favorite shows!

Great tour; House of Blues Boston!

Post Reply Post Reply