Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

two-piece prog acts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 12:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

OP again....I'm most interested in duos who acted as a stand-alone group, vs. one-off projects (Bruford & Moraz, whom I saw live), studio projects (Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood's "Conspiracy") and so forth.

Bruford/Moraz wasn't a one-off, though. They recorded two albums, and there's a live album. Moraz was still in the Moody Blues, and King Crimson was wrapping up. Their collaboration ended due to Moraz's other obligations. and Bruford was invited by Jimmy Page to be the drummer in his next band. When that didn't work out, Broof formed Earthworks.

Thanks, I'll accept that logic!  Good job!  I hadn't realized how long they collaborated.  It was quite a stunning little show!

Jealous that you got to see them! There are actually two live albums, one for each tour: MfPaD (Maryland), and Flags (Tokyo).
Three, if you count my live recording from the Moraz-Bruford tour from a 500 seat auditorium (only about 50 people showed up) in London ON. Got to chat briefly with PM after the show. Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 12:52
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

I've never heard of Clatter, good stuff there!

I'm glad you like them!  Here's another.  Amy (bassist/vocals) reminds me a bit of a mix of John Wetton and Sara Lee from Fripp's band "League of Gentlemen!"   She'd probably be amazing in King Crimson! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 16:27
Russian duo Iamthemorning performed live as a 2 piece when I saw them support The Flower Kings. 

Snareman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snareman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 20:05
Ruins is a 2 piece Zeuhl band from Japan and they freakin rock, check out their album Pallaschtom, very good.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 23:38
Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

Ruins is a 2 piece Zeuhl band from Japan and they freakin rock, check out their album Pallaschtom, very good.

Welcome to PA, and thanks for a great suggestion! Clap
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 00:25
An Endless Sporadic. The two play all the instruments.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 07:26
A Triggering Myth were a prog duo from the 90's and early 2000's. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1018

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 27 2021 at 07:29
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 08:46

Ruins was the second band I posted a clip of, back on pg. 1. LOL (And ditto: Welcome, Snareman!)

(Also, Ruins is no longer active. Tatsuya started Ruins Alone in his "search" for a new bassist.)
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 10:08
Surprised no one has mentioned the math rock band Hella.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 14:23

Ruins was the second band I posted a clip of, back on pg. 1. LOL (And ditto: Welcome, Snareman!)

(Also, Ruins is no longer active. Tatsuya started Ruins Alone in his "search" for a new bassist.)

Sorry, I missed yours!  I always try to greet newbies to PA whenever I see a post!!   Thanks for welcoming Snareman!

Edited by cstack3 - August 27 2021 at 14:24
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:09
The best duo I saw live a couple of times was Bruford & Moraz.

Another duo which has not been mentioned so far are Fred Frith & Henry Kaiser, who I saw once in San Francisco in the mid 80s. Very interesting, creative performers. They put out at least two albums (I have the first one shown here):

Fred Frith With Friends Like These (with Henry Kaiser ) album cover

TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2021 at 07:53
La Perra from Mexico.  Nuttin' but Bass & Drums!
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 21:39
Would Sparks count? It's mostly the doings of the Mael brothers plus session musicians. The closest they got to performing as a duo would be Two Hands One Mouth
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 10:04
Originally posted by Rrattlesnake Rrattlesnake wrote:

Would Sparks count? It's mostly the doings of the Mael brothers plus session musicians. The closest they got to performing as a duo would be Two Hands One Mouth

Well, if that's the case then we would have to include the Alan Parson's Project and Steely Dan. Apparently it has to be only two musicians and no session musicians. 

I almost typed "two guys" and not two musicians which led me to think if there were any female duos. Then I thought of Wendy & Lisa (who were both part of Prince's band the revolution). I don't think they would be considered prog though(although they did do some soundtrack work). 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 10:17
^ I would've thought the Alan Parsons Project, Sparks and Steely Dan are all eligible as two-piece prog acts, even if they include session musicians, in the same way as Mike Oldfield is considered a solo artist, even though he usually has a multitude of backing musicians and singers featured on his albums. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 11:59
There's always the legendary Renee and Renato.

Sadly I was unable to find their version of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on YouTube.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 12:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I would've thought the Alan Parsons Project, Sparks and Steely Dan are all eligible as two-piece prog acts, even if they include session musicians, in the same way as Mike Oldfield is considered a solo artist, even though he usually has a multitude of backing musicians and singers featured on his albums. 

Your missing the whole point of the thread, two piece bands, that's it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 12:34
Two fantastic post-rock duos -

Bangladeafy:

El Ten Eleven:
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 17:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Your missing the whole point of the thread, two piece bands, that's it.

OP here, yes, that is correct.  Two musicians, period.  Bruford and Moraz would count, but not Sparks etc.  

I did some two-piece work in Tulsa OK in the 1980s, it can be a very powerful musical format as it forces the musicians to really extend themselves to fill in holes. 

Lon Jones was one of Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, and I was his bassist, so we sometimes performed in a duet....Lon would play heavily-processed guitar, and I would play bass guitar through effects with a pick.  With a volume pedal, I can emulate a cello nicely.  Bass guitar heavily processed can be rather amazing = chorus, delay, wah etc.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 00:33
Not sure if they've been brought up yet, but I'd definitely go with Ruins
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>