Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

two-piece prog acts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 09:55
Bruford / Moraz

Tuck and Patti
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 10:07
There are many examples here that aren't really two piece acts.

Two piece means 2 musicians NOT two official members plus guests.

At least that's the way i interpret it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 10:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

A two-man "performing/touring" prog rock act? Looks like I'm the only guy with Zombi on the brain!

No other guys on that stage, just Steve Moore & A.E. Paterra.

Great call, fantastic stuff, should have thought of them myself
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I agree. APP's two main guys compose/produce, but they've always used a battery of players, including lead vocalists.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

No other guys on that stage, just Steve Moore & A.E. Paterra.

Great call, fantastic stuff, should have thought of them myself

If/when they tour again, it's likely they may be a trio or even a quartet! Steve Moore said they'll probably use a live guitarist.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:17
Fripp & Eno
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:42
Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi

Here's an Ahleuchatistas clip

Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:53
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Agree, some of these suggestions are out of scope of the request.
Ian

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 13:00
Rascal Reporters is the first one to come to mind, but that too doesn't exactly meet the criteria since they haven't performed live since the 70s (when they were with more than two) and use gratuitous non-live overdubs in their recordings.

One strictly two-piece act that I have seen live is Aiming For Enrike, a Norwegian math rock duo consisting of a drummer and a guitarist/keyboard player who construct a full sound with live loop pedals.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 14:20
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Read the OP and the thread if you really want to be sure that you're off topic.

Thanks, OP here!  Exactly, I was thinking of exclusive two-person performing units, leaving out sidemen etc. 

I've seen some amazing events live....Fripp was playing his SoundScapes live to open a "G3" show (Robert Fripp,

Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steve Vai , Joe Satriani - June 29, 1997, Riviera Theater - Chicago) and suddenly a strange dude in a tall Cat in the Hat top-hat came out and started jamming with him!!  It was Mike Keneally, he was playing perfect Fripp like fuzz-tone Crimson solos on top of Soundscapes....drop-dead amazing!!  

I wish they were a touring unit, they did this a few times in concert.  Anyway, my example of the husband/wife duo "Clatter" exemplifies what I seek - two artists, working together in a live prog setting.  No side-men/bandmembers.  

I was personally inspired by Nash the Slash's solo act and always wanted to do something like that, but alas, life keeps intervening!!  He was a genius!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 15:17
I've been avoiding this one because of two issues...
1 - I have an association with the band
2 - There are varying opinions (see reviews) of whether they are a progressive band or not.

But it does fit and I truly believe they have enough proginess to count

Edited by JD - August 25 2021 at 16:11
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 15:31
I thought of two more although both only put out one album:

Oddly enough I get the feeling that if this thread was about one man bands there would be more suggestions.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 25 2021 at 15:41
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 22:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I've been avoiding this one because of two issues...
1 - I have an association with the band
2 - There are varying opinions (see reviews) of whether they are a progressive band or not.

But it does fit and I truly believe they have enough proginess to count

Thanks, that is the type of information I've been seeking!!  

I lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma USA in the early-mid 1980s, and the place was a hot-bed of progressive music.  The late/great Michael Hedges was a native and active on the music scene, and I was bassist to Lon Jones, one of Bob Fripp's earliest "Guitar Craft" students.  I performed in several two-artist performances for some very large audiences.  It could be a very promising format these days - easy to tour, visually interesting, lots of potential. 

Edited by cstack3 - August 25 2021 at 22:26
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 00:14
KNOWER, most of the time.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 03:29
OP again....I'm most interested in duos who acted as a stand-alone group, vs. one-off projects (Bruford & Moraz, whom I saw live), studio projects (Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood's "Conspiracy") and so forth.  

Two very talented individuals with modern music technology could make quite an interesting musical statement!  I have no problem with performers who use some electronic drums, sequencers etc. just so long as those don't dominate the music. 

And please, no dancing nor twerking onstage!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 10:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

OP again....I'm most interested in duos who acted as a stand-alone group, vs. one-off projects (Bruford & Moraz, whom I saw live), studio projects (Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood's "Conspiracy") and so forth.

Bruford/Moraz wasn't a one-off, though. They recorded two albums, and there's a live album. Moraz was still in the Moody Blues, and King Crimson was wrapping up. Their collaboration ended due to Moraz's other obligations. and Bruford was invited by Jimmy Page to be the drummer in his next band. When that didn't work out, Broof formed Earthworks.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 10:50
I've never heard of Clatter, good stuff there!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 12:29

Bruford/Moraz wasn't a one-off, though. They recorded two albums, and there's a live album. Moraz was still in the Moody Blues, and King Crimson was wrapping up. Their collaboration ended due to Moraz's other obligations. and Bruford was invited by Jimmy Page to be the drummer in his next band. When that didn't work out, Broof formed Earthworks.

Thanks, I'll accept that logic!  Good job!  I hadn't realized how long they collaborated.  It was quite a stunning little show!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 12:40

Thanks, I'll accept that logic!  Good job!  I hadn't realized how long they collaborated.  It was quite a stunning little show!

Jealous that you got to see them! There are actually two live albums, one for each tour: MfPaD (Maryland), and Flags (Tokyo).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 12:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Chuck, I would highly recommend Midnight Circus, a two-piece prog folk duo with one studio album and single to their credit from the early seventies, on Bellaphon Records in Germany. In a nutshell, wonderful in both a lyrical and cerebral kind of way, I guess!

Midnight Circus was two guys, but they had a full band (keys, bass, guitar, drums) backing them up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>