Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

key solos: The Cinema Show vs. Supper's Ready

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which keyboard solo is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [74.36%]
10 [25.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: key solos: The Cinema Show vs. Supper's Ready
    Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:10
Tony Banks isn't the flashiest, but I find his solos extremely satisfying.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:16
Apocalypse 9/8 over any other keyboard solo, but the one in The Cinema Show is also top 3 for me.

Edited by someone_else - August 26 2021 at 13:17
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:28
Both . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 14:04
Tough one to choose. I'll go with Cinema Show, but by a very narrow margin.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 14:55
Hard to choose. Supper’s Ready takes my vote, but certainly Cinema show is a great one too.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 15:39
Well, there's no synthesizer on Supper's Ready(Tony was pretty late in buying one)but it's still a very good keyboard solo. I'll have to think about this one.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 21:03
With Tony Banks it's more about the "what" he's doing rather than the "how" he's doing it and since soloing is more about the "how" I don't really see Tony Banks as a soloist in the same breath as Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson. However both keyboard sections of Supper's Ready and Cinema Show showcase Tony Banks' brilliance as a keyboardist and of the two I prefer Supper's Ready.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 21:32
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

With Tony Banks it's more about the "what" he's doing rather than the "how" he's doing it and since soloing is more about the "how" I don't really see Tony Banks as a soloist in the same breath as Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson. However both keyboard sections of Supper's Ready and Cinema Show showcase Tony Banks' brilliance as a keyboardist and of the two I prefer Supper's Ready.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by the "what" and the "how?" I'm not sure I really understand. Sure he's not super flashy like Emerson or Wakeman, but he did a lot of keyboard solos and I think most of them are very effective.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 23:24
Apocalypse 9/8 is a better section/piece, but the Cinema Show solo is Banks' finest hour with Genesis IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 23:30
Cinema Show
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 02:24
Wasn't his first ever solo in 'Stagnation'?  If you read about it, he was a reluctant solo-ist so really these two pieces are remarkable and show a progession that possibly peaks on Abacab (the album).
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 02:47
The Cinema Show, too.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:30
the cinema show
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:31
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Tough one to choose. I'll go with Cinema Show, but by a very narrow margin.

This. They are both great, but I had to listen to them both a few moments ago to get a direct comparison. Today it's Cinema Show, but some other day it might be Supper's Ready.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:41
Cinema Show is more inventive and tuneful for me, so that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 05:28
I wonder if In The Cage should have been included for a trio?

anyway Apocalypse 9/8 certainly , so imitated by neo prog bands it's ridiculous!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 07:39
Cinema Show is the most well thought out solo by anyone---it goes thru many emotions and dramatic sections.
I think it is amazing.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 12:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

anyway Apocalypse 9/8 certainly , so imitated by neo prog bands it's ridiculous!

Other good ones are firth of fifth (piano intro especially), can utility and the coastliners, colony of slippermen and unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth(the in that quiet earth section).

Anyway, I voted for cinema show.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 27 2021 at 12:17
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 23:20
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Care to elaborate on what you mean by the "what" and the "how?" I'm not sure I really understand. Sure he's not super flashy like Emerson or Wakeman, but he did a lot of keyboard solos and I think most of them are very effective.
Not even sure what I was saying it when I wrote it. It's that part of music that's indefinable. When I listen to Tony Banks playing a keyboard solo I don't hear it as a solo. I hear it as a piece of music that's integral to the song as a whole. When Steve Hackett plays a solo everything appears to stop and we can even forget for a moment what piece of music he's playing. When Tony Banks plays piano chords he immediately draws you into the song. His notes are the song. To take an extreme opposite, when Jordan Rudess plays the keys everything he appears to do is soloing around the other members of the band. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 02:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Other good ones are firth of fifth (piano intro especially), can utility and the coastliners, colony of slippermen and unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth(the in that quiet earth section).

Anyway, I voted for cinema show.

all great onesThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>