Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 14:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Peaches Records~1979

Peaches Record Store 1979 | Vintage photography, Photo, Records
WOW. This kind of reminds me of Sam The Record Man in downtown Toronto back in the day. Or the Records On Wheels that was two floors if I recall.

SAM the Record Man

Edited by JD - September 01 2021 at 14:23
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 15:32
This was most of the main floor of Amoeba Records, Hollywood (original location). You can see the entrance (bluish hue) to the room with jazz, classical and film scores. Upstairs was the video room.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This was most of the main floor of Amoeba Records, Hollywood (original location). You can see the entrance (bluish hue) to the room with jazz, classical and film scores. Upstairs was the video room.

Yes but it's all krapp CDs......LOL.....Records/LPs rule!! Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 16:22

"Most" of the main floor...you can't see the vinyl! LOL

Hey, man, some of us (still) buy CDs! Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 16:52

"Most" of the main floor...you can't see the vinyl! LOL

Hey, man, some of us (still) buy CDs! Wink
I've been to Amoeba in LA several times, great store and lots of musical memorabilia. They do have a good LP section and some nice used records too.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 22:19
In France: for "progressive" music at Cosmos Music since 2007 (before it was at Shop 33) and for hard-rock/heavy-metal and post-rock at the Metallian Store since 2018. And sometimes at the Fnac (5 km from my house) for other styles of music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 10:04
This has been my go to place for the past 10yrs in Tacoma. Originally was a small store barely 20' wide by maybe 30' long, owner (Brian) moved to this new larger building about 4yrs ago. The floor space is 95% LPs, the other 5% is CDs and the growing section of cassettes. He also has some DVD/VHS video section......Pretty much every genre is offered. Plus he offers a frequent buy card, fill the card and you get a 20% discount, takes about $150 to fill the stamp card.....I've lost count haw many cards I've filled up. 
His business has grown so much that he now has 4 employees. When I first started shopping here it was usually the owner there behind the counter, I have only seen him twice at the store in the last year.

hi voltage records 6th ave tacoma record store | Move to Tacoma - Move to  Tacoma

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 18:18

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Hmmm....maybe it was Brea. Could'vd sworn it was in near Riverside. Maybe it was another record store I went to in Riverside. I'm talking late 70s to mid 80's, I've slept since then...LOL

It could've been Mad Platter, which is no longer. Its original location was near the mall on Tyler.

Could a been......there are so many stores back then I used to go to. Tower Records, Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches Records & Tapes, Licorice Pizza and I think Tape World was another....
Did you mean "Wherehouse Records and Tapes"?

WAREhouse, WEARhouse, WHEREhouse........yes all of them, shhesh.
Oh, no. Now you're thinking about the Men's Wearhouse.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
scaudill View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scaudill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 13:37
Just discovered a place in Knoxville - McKay Used Books & CDs. Decent amount of vinyl and CD's. Was there last weekend and the place was hopping.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 14:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

WOW. This kind of reminds me of Sam The Record Man in downtown Toronto back in the day. Or the Records On Wheels that was two floors if I recall.

SAM the Record Man

MMmmhhh!!!!... methinks this photo is dating of the 90's (or later), which probably means the place was renovated after I crossed back the pond (very early 90's).

I mean, I frequented STRM and ROW on Yonge Street weekly and this pic is nothing like my memories of the 70/80's.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 16:14
Used to shop here several times a year when my daughter lived there and we visited.
www.electricfetus.com

Edited by dr wu23 - September 15 2021 at 21:20
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

SAM the Record Man

MMmmhhh!!!!... methinks this photo is dating of the 90's (or later), which probably means the place was renovated after I crossed back the pond (very early 90's).

I mean, I frequented STRM and ROW on Yonge Street weekly and this pic is nothing like my memories of the 70/80's.
Yea he should have changed it to a black and white photo, that would have been better....LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 11:20
Hope this is better for you.
The colour one was the south side of the store if I recall.

Edited by JD - September 16 2021 at 14:20
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 12:10
Well, let's see. I bought my first wax cylinder from Thomas Edison's place back in 1909. After that, it's pretty much a blur.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:15

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

SAM the Record Man

Yea he should have changed it to a black and white photo, that would have been better....LOL

Now that's a record store!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 21:17
Directly from the artist when possible otherwise I use Amazon, there are no record stores nearby.
Long live Progresive music!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 12:51
I mostly get digital downloads from Bandcamp. (Used to get quite a lot from Amazon, but I'm more into supporting smaller operations nowadays--so I'll be checking out some more listed here). And, I've downloaded some stuff off of Youtube, but usually only do that for sample tracks (such as when I've put together a themed radio program, and I'm missing a track or two I might want to play, or that got requested, and for some reason I don't otherwise have the track immediately available).

As for CD's: all over the place!  About a third of my collection is just from thrift shops; mostly albums that are/were popular and that I'd like having, but I'm not usually directly looking for.  So, for example, pretty much ALL of my Tori Amos collection came from thrift shops (because she was hugely popular in the 90's-2000's, and you can almost always find at least one or more of her albums at any given time at a big thrift outlet like Goodwill in the US).  Very rarely, I'll find some "hidden Gem" at a thrift store-- always fun to find them (eg. found about half my Zappa CDs that way) but doesn't happen very often.

Probably about a 1/4 of my best prog CD's came from Amoeba music in San Fran and Berkely, where I always like to visit whenever I'm in the Bay area.

Z
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 16:01
I buy most of my music--both digital and physical--through Bandcamp nowadays. In fact, Bandcamp is just about the only way I'll purchase digital music, since it's so artist-friendly.

I haven't bought a CD outside of a concert in quite a while. But if I'm at a local show and a band has a CD, I'll happily toss them a few bucks for it.

For LPs, I've got a few locations:

Bandcamp, as mentioned above.
Live shows is less frequent but not uncommon. I don't have any big-name shows on my calendar at the moment (mostly just local metal stuff), but I've bought my fair share of records at shows.
Discogs is great for harder-to-find or older stuff, though the shipping can occasionally be pretty expensive.
For physical record stores, my favorites in Seattle are Sonic Boom, Zion's Gate, Neptune Music Co, Daybreak Records, Fat Cat Records, and Jive Time Records. In Portland, my favorite is Music Millennium (though I am disappointed they folded their prog/psych section into the larger rock section some time between 2019 and this year), and Everyday Music is great too.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 21:00
I went from entirely in-store purchases of vinyl (70s-80s-early 90s), to in-store purchases of 50% CDs / 50% vinyl (mid-90s to early 2000s) due to lack of CD releases at the time, to now 100% online purchases of CDs only. So glad were at such a very high release rate on CD (maybe 95%), though there are still some only released on vinyl and cassette.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2021 at 21:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234