Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 09:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hmmm....maybe it was Brea. Could'vd sworn it was in near Riverside. Maybe it was another record store I went to in Riverside. I'm talking late 70s to mid 80's, I've slept since then...LOL

It could've been Mad Platter, which is no longer. Its original location was near the mall on Tyler.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 11:48
My first stop usually is a local used record/CD/DVD store I've mentioned in the past called Record Surplus in West L.A. They have two short rows of CDs that every once in awhile yield a prog treasure (most of it is rock and new age though). Online I go to Amazon where my last CD purchase was the Steven Wilson remix of G.G.'s The Power and the Glory which went from $10 to around $15 after I bought it. I've occasionally used Discogs for a few purchases, also.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 14:15
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Concerning Tower Records, I have to say the one I visited in Manhattan was a nice store. This was about 22 years ago. Outer Music, though much smaller, was another good store around the corner from The Strand.

There was a two-floor HMV in Toronto on Yonge Street that I also enjoyed.

Back in the 1980s, I frequented a used record store that was on Bustleton Avenue in Philadelphia (between Tyson Ave. and Knorr St.; can't remember the address). Another one popped up later closer to where I lived that was on a side street off of Oxford Ave. before reaching the Philly-Rockledge border. It later moved to Cottman Avenue. That one was filled with bootlegs.

I hope you always wore your best pants.

Whatever was laying around on the floor was my best pants back in those days. Nowadays if it can expand after a big meal, I'm happy.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 15:19
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Hmmm....maybe it was Brea. Could'vd sworn it was in near Riverside. Maybe it was another record store I went to in Riverside. I'm talking late 70s to mid 80's, I've slept since then...LOL

It could've been Mad Platter, which is no longer. Its original location was near the mall on Tyler.
Could a been......there are so many stores back then I used to go to. Tower Records, Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches Records & Tapes, Licorice Pizza and I think Tape World was another....
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 18:26
I haven't bought a physical CD in ten years, a vinyl LP in 35 years. I buy almost all my music on Bandcamp.

My favorite record store of all time was Schoolkids Records in Ann Arbor though Boogie Records in Kalamazoo was where I built up my prog collection. So many memories of so many great discoveries.

Wouldn't know where to find a record these days … or what to play it on.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 22:25

Could a been......there are so many stores back then I used to go to. Tower Records, Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches Records & Tapes, Licorice Pizza and I think Tape World was another....
Did you mean "Wherehouse Records and Tapes"?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 09:21
Yes, he does. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 09:22
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

My first stop usually is a local used record/CD/DVD store I've mentioned in the past called Record Surplus in West L.A.

I haven't been there in many, many years. Definitely the place to go for vinyl.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 11:45
Anyone visiting my city (Norwich, England) couldn't do any better than visiting Out of Time Records, or Beatniks, both on Magdalen Street.  In both cases the proprietors are extremely knowledgable, friendly and helpful.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:02
^God, that sounds bitchin'. Someday.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:05
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Did you mean "Wherehouse Records and Tapes"?
WAREhouse, WEARhouse, WHEREhouse........yes all of them, shhesh.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:06
The Best Little Wherehouse in Texas  LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:12
Peaches Records~1979

Peaches Record Store 1979 | Vintage photography, Photo, Records
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:16
Tower Records Sunset Strip....

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 12:18
Tower Records Sunset Strip-1972

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 13:07
What year was the first tower records picture with the Wall on it? Around 1980?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 01 2021 at 13:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 13:14

Peaches Records~1979

Great pix, Catcher. This was Peaches Records & Tapes in Westminster? I never did manage to visit one of their stores. I know the chain took its final bow twenty or so years ago.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 13:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What year was the first tower records picture with the Wall on it? Around 1980?
Probably, '79-'80.........I remember another store had a huge Wall display also. I bought my first Wall LP at Tower Records in December 1980.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 13:36

Peaches Records~1979

Great pix, Catcher. This was Peaches Records & Tapes in Westminster? I never did manage to visit one of their stores. I know the chain took its final bow twenty or so years ago.
The only Peaches I ever shopped at was on Hollywood Blvd......I believe the lone Peaches store left is in New Orleans.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2021 at 14:03
Another store that had a solid import section, and a fair (not quite good) amount of prog, was Camelot Music. But the one that opened near me didn't last long because hardly anyone knew it was there! I found out about it by accident. On my first visit, I recall picking up Dream Theater's Live at the Marquee and No Expense Spared by Rick & Adam Wakeman. Their price point was Tower Sunset, too, i.e. not cheap.

Not long thereafter, the Camelot Music chain was absorbed by Trans World Ent., the same megacorporation that owned Wherehouse/FYE. Since there was a Wherehouse a few blocks away that did great business, they closed the Camelot store.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>