Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 08:08
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Amazon, Symphonic, The Artist Shop, Bandcamp.

I think you mean synphonic (spelled syn-phonic on the website). I buy from them also as well as wayside, the laser's edge, amazon, deep discount and kinesis(but not for much longer since the site is going down very soon). 

When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 08:08
I search firstly on Bandcamp and then Burning Shed, GEP, HiResAudio, HDTracks, 7digital and sometimes inevitably Amazon too
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 08:46
Mostly with Discogs with Amazon a distant second.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 09:10
Lots from Discogs, sometimes Amazon, my neighborhood Half Price Books store, plus a few other Atlanta shops.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 09:27
Online: Laser's Edge, Burning Shed, Syn-Phonic, KScope, Tower Records, MusicDirect, Acoustic Sounds and BlueNote.
Brick & Morter local: Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records/Turntable Treasures, Silver Platters, antique stores. 

If I am out on business trip I will look for local stores to dig at.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 09:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Online: Laser's Edge, Burning Shed, Syn-Phonic, KScope, Tower Records, MusicDirect, Acoustic Sounds and BlueNote.
Brick & Morter local: Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records/Turntable Treasures, Silver Platters, antique stores. 

I think you mentioned on here before that you only buy vinyl correct? I know Laser's Edge sells vinyl. As for Tower Records I never seem to know what the deal is with them. I think they are no longer active as a brick and mortar but are now online. They seem to have reinvented themselves I guess. I would think amazon and discogs would be some fierce competition though.
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 10:42
Usually from Wayside, Bandcamp, Laser's Edge, Discogs, and Ebay.
Rarely from Amazon (add-ons when buying dog treats or DVDs to get the free shipping).
Once in awhile from something not listed above if it's the only place I can get it (Tzadik comes to mind).

My closest physical store is 130 miles away. I haven't been there in years. All the local ones are gone and have been for many years.
----------
to meet anyone nose at nose
the walls have hearsay
he go to four feet
take the moon with the teeth
he has a good beak
the stone as roll not heap up not foam
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 10:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think you mentioned on here before that you only buy vinyl correct? I know Laser's Edge sells vinyl. As for Tower Records I never seem to know what the deal is with them. I think they are no longer active as a brick and mortar but are now online. They seem to have reinvented themselves I guess. I would think amazon and discogs would be some fierce competition though.
Yup only buy records/LPs, don't buy CDs. The only Tower Records walk-in stores in existence are in Japan, as those stores were not owned by Russ Solomon at the time of his fall. I lived in Tower Records as a kid/teenager, those stores were Disneyland to me. The bigger stores had dedicated rooms by genre, especially of note was the Classical Room. My dad used to buy classical music both records and tapes, that room was like entering a library, so awesome!
The stores I went to in So Calif had Import Sections where I found all my favs, especially all my Scorpions original album cover versions, where I bought my first CAN and Nektar albums too. The Tower Records now is 100% online, there is no store, and their pricing is really good I have found and they ship pretty quick.

If you guys have not seen the Tower Records documentary its fantastic, highly recommended!! Soooo many memories in those stores.

Progressive Enjoyer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progressive Enjoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 10:58
eBay, sometimes amazon and a few local shops here and there
"You know what you are, you don't give a damn" Peter Gabriel
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 10:59
I'm about 90% download these days, my sequence 

Bandcamp, band/label's own site, Wayside, Lasers Edge, Discogs, Amazon
Ian

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 11:18
1. Bandcamp
2. Band’s own website
3. Caerllysi 
4. HMV
5. Amazon

(In that order)

[EDIT] I forgot Burning Shed. Put them in between Caerllysi and HMV.

Edited by nick_h_nz - August 30 2021 at 11:20
Tapfret View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Eclectic/PSIKE/JRF-Cant Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 12:10
1. Bandcamp, if physical media is available I tend to try an alternate source starting with artist direct.
2. Artist direct
3. Importcds.com
4. Wayside Music
5. Discogs
6. Tower Records
7. Everyday Music (Pacific Northwest area used music chain)
8. Thrift stores
9. Miscellaneous like ebay
10. Amazon, as a very last resort 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 13:00

If you guys have not seen the Tower Records documentary its fantastic, highly recommended!! Soooo many memories in those stores.

Indeed, it is awesome, and like the best junk food, it's over too soon.

Watching it makes you wish you worked there. At least I got to shop there. Tower Sunset was one of the most famous locations (that's the store that let Elton John in an hour early to browse and buy), but I visited the one in West Covina more often — it was a large store, and I spent ton$$$ there!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Watching it makes you wish you worked there. At least I got to shop there. Tower Sunset was one of the most famous locations (that's the store that let Elton John in an hour early to browse and buy), but I visited the one in West Covina more often — it was a large store, and I spent ton$$$ there!

Yup, the West Covina store was my mecca......then moved to Riverside and that one became my jam. I went to Sunset strip store one time.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 15:26

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yup, the West Covina store was my mecca......then moved to Riverside and that one became my jam. I went to Sunset strip store one time.

I lived in the Inland Empire in the '90s. Looks like we travelled many of the same highways! Did you know Mad Platter closed?

There was no Tower in Riverside, but there was one in Brea. Do you mean that one?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 16:06
Hmmm....maybe it was Brea. Could'vd sworn it was in near Riverside. Maybe it was another record store I went to in Riverside. I'm talking late 70s to mid 80's, I've slept since then...LOL
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 17:35
Amazon (boo hiss etc) 
projeKct View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 17:46
I live in Canada, I buy new and used CD's and I shop mainly online. Here are the shops with nice selection and good prices:

https://www.discogs.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 03:19
Concerning Tower Records, I have to say the one I visited in Manhattan was a nice store. This was about 22 years ago. Outer Music, though much smaller, was another good store around the corner from The Strand.

There was a two-floor HMV in Toronto on Yonge Street that I also enjoyed.

Back in the 1980s, I frequented a used record store that was on Bustleton Avenue in Philadelphia (between Tyson Ave. and Knorr St.; can't remember the address). Another one popped up later closer to where I lived that was on a side street off of Oxford Ave. before reaching the Philly-Rockledge border. It later moved to Cottman Avenue. That one was filled with bootlegs.
----------
to meet anyone nose at nose
the walls have hearsay
he go to four feet
take the moon with the teeth
he has a good beak
the stone as roll not heap up not foam
TCat View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Eclectic / Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 09:19
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Concerning Tower Records, I have to say the one I visited in Manhattan was a nice store. This was about 22 years ago. Outer Music, though much smaller, was another good store around the corner from The Strand.

There was a two-floor HMV in Toronto on Yonge Street that I also enjoyed.

Back in the 1980s, I frequented a used record store that was on Bustleton Avenue in Philadelphia (between Tyson Ave. and Knorr St.; can't remember the address). Another one popped up later closer to where I lived that was on a side street off of Oxford Ave. before reaching the Philly-Rockledge border. It later moved to Cottman Avenue. That one was filled with bootlegs.

I hope you always wore your best pants.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>