Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll: Sounds of Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Which three are your favourites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.12%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.09%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll: Sounds of Asia
    Posted: August 28 2021 at 12:08

Sounds & Colours of Asia

Asia: Map Quiz https://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3167

THE SOUNDS OF ASIA

Hello to everyone and welcome to the latest edition in this interactive poll series!

This time I would like to take you on a journey to Asia. Asia is unique, fascinating and very diverse

but despite being the largest continent on the planet their music is less known in the western world. Are you ready for this adventure?

So these are the rules of the current poll:

1. To be eligible the entry’s credited artist should be preferably of Asian descent, also it may be a

collaboration with an Asian artist. Egypt is part of Middle Eastern culture and is therefore included here.

2. Artists whose music is clearly inspired by certain Asian music genres do also meet the criteria.

3. In order to make it easier to participate, less known artists or bands listed on PA will also be eligible.

General provisions

Everybody can take part and nominate a song for inclusion in this poll. You can also post some more songs as suggestions (maybe stick to max three).

Note: You must at least nominate an initial song to reserve a slot on the poll.

You only have to decide on your nominations after a week, that is until about Sunday, September 5th.

After everybody has announced their final nominations, they are all put up for voting. Please do not vote before the poll is declared open.

Then you have three votes for your favourite. Please don't vote for your own nomination.

Have fun!

Link to playlist with suggested songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RlvDlI0EXo&list=PLRF2N4J-pa5TM7K3dQb4mWuS1n-avkGpp

Link to playlist with nominated songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z71tKxrztC4&list=PLRF2N4J-pa5SpaPmgsKvyFcPNXFSiVEaY

Edited by Mila-13 - September 06 2021 at 09:26
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 13:32
Basically I know well only two asian artists:

- Ravi Shankar (and his daughter)

- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (thank to the Real World by Peter Gabriel)

I go with Ali Kahn. A accept advices.

First suggestion Musst Musst:

Second suggestion: Intoxicated

Third suggestion: Crest

Enjoy!

"Happiness is real only when shared"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 13:45
Kodo - Stomp

Harry Partch - Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Sanctus: An Entra'cte

Electronicos Fantasricos ! - Live At Iron Island Festival

Edited by JD - August 28 2021 at 14:10
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 13:49
Nice. I predict a very diverse poll since Asia is a big continent with many different cultures.

My choice will be Balinese gamelan music - a style which, among other things, influenced a composer like Claude Debussy.

Dewa Alit & Gamelan Salukat - Dripping Water / Yeh Ngetel

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 13:49
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Basically I know well only two asian artists:

- Ravi Shankar (and his daughter)

- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (thank to the Real World by Peter Gabriel)

Enjoy!

We will for sure, thank you for the music, Lorenzo!
I bet you know at least one more artist, since f.e. Israel and also Lebanon are in the mix as well. Wink

Edited by Mila-13 - August 28 2021 at 13:51
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 14:18
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Nice. I predict a very diverse poll since Asia is a big continent with many different cultures.

My choice will be Balinese gamelan music - a style which, among other things, influenced a composer like Claude Debussy.

Video removed for space

Love gamelan music, wonderful choice and will love to hear it!  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 14:35

I hope you are right, I think that the rules are quite reasonable? The music suggestions made so far are very promising. Thank you, too for this great choice! Smile
Now that is interesting, how come Debussy got inspired by Balinese gamelan music? I know, the French do have colonies in Polynesia but that's not close at all. 

Edited by Mila-13 - August 28 2021 at 16:27
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 14:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Kodo - Stomp

Harry Partch - Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Sanctus: An Entra'cte

Electronicos Fantasricos ! - Live At Iron Island Festival

Thank you for the music JD, much appreciated! Clap

Edited by Mila-13 - August 28 2021 at 14:44
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 14:45

I will have fun with this one!

Starting with Indian music, first up (and my nomination for now) is a band based in Tampa, Florida. I used to live down there, and one night, I was driving around, running errands, and listening to a local community radio station and the DJ (Ray Villadonga) was playing an assortment of jazz rock fusion, psychedelic, space, and prog rock. One of the tracks was from a band that he cofounded and played bass for, Wahh World Fusion Band. The band primarily consists of a tabla player/vocalist, bassist, guitarist, e-sitarist, and drummer. I couldn’t find any individual tracks from their first album on Youtube, so this one is from their second album, called “Brother Ray,” in honor of Ray. Ray passed away from cancer in 2017 prior to the release of this album and he only played on a few of the tracks. I don’t think he is on this one. The end of the track has some konnakol.

Wahh  World Fusion Band – Desire on Fire

If interested, their first album “Liberation” is available as a free MP3 download from their website. Click on the “get album” link on the page.

Second up, the primary listed artist is one I have mentioned before in these polls, fusion bass player Jonas Hellborg. He is on PA and has collaborated with many artists. My previous nomination from him was a collaboration with guitarist Buckethead and drummer Michael Shrieve. This one has him collaborating with guitarist Shawn Lane and Indian musicians (and brothers) V. Umashankar (ghatam and konnakol), V. Selvaganesh (kanjira and konnakol), and V. Umamahesh (vocals). 

Jonas Hellborg / Shawn Lane / V. Umashankar / V. Selvaganesh / V. Umamahesh – Anchor

ghatam: 

kanjira:

Next, we go to Burma with Kyaw Kyaw Naing and the contemporary classical ensemble Bang on the Can All Stars. Naing plays the Burmese percussion instrument pat waing, which are 21 drums arranged in a horseshoe shape. He collaborated with Bang on the Can All-Stars for the album this track is from, “Bang on a Can meets Kyaw Kyaw Naing.”

Kyaw Kyaw Naing / Bang on the Can All-Stars – Sein Chit Tee A Mhat Ta Ya

Video showing Kyaw Kyaw Naing playing the pat waing.

Link to biography: https://cantaloupemusic.com/artists/kyaw-kyaw-naing

And finally, Japan. I have nominated previously, a couple of different artists with the shamisen, Waggakki Band – Senbonzakura and Tokyo Groove Jyoshi – What Is Hip. So, one more possibility with the Yoshida Brothers.

Yoshida Brothers – Rising

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 14:47
I'm doing all Japan

A long one that I have mentioned before various times at PA that some of you might know. Still, for now this is my nomination:

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan (芸能山城組 - 恐山)

Also, wish to mention this title track Ash in the Rainbow song. I did Zero Hills from the same album before.

Haco + Sakamoto Hiromichi - Ash In The Rainbow

Embed not working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_DqIFsF4g

Yoshihiro Kanno - Egg's Dream

Edited by Logan - August 28 2021 at 14:53
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 15:17
Lorenzo already mentioned, at least indirectly, Anoushka Shankar. This is the title track and hit of her glorious Land of Gold album; actually pretty much every track from that album would be a worthwhile nomination. I went for the most commercial and maybe most western influenced track here... anyway, I love it.

Edited by Lewian - August 28 2021 at 15:18
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 15:20
And here a stunning live video by the Japanese Cornelius:

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 15:20
Here are some Turkish delights for you all.

These songs are live performances from some Turkish TV programmes.

My nomination is from one of our national treasures: the multi-instrumentalist and vocal master Fatih Erkoç. The song has many colours in it (it is a cover of an arabesk song); and definitely don't miss the ending part!

Fatih Erkoc - Emmoglu

Another song. This is our vocal virtuoso Haktan Canevi. He can sing like playing the violin. A rare talent!

Haktan - Beddua

And finally... This is from a singing competition programme. The guy here had not been known before, but now millions know him thanks to his splendid performances in the TV show!

Erkan Gümüşsuyu - Yıllar

Hope you'll enjoy my picks!

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 28 2021 at 15:23
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 15:34
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

I hope you are right, I think that the rules are quite reasonable? The music suggestions made so far are very promising. Thanky you, too for this great choice! Smile
Now that is interesting, how come Debussy got inspired by Balinese gamelan music? I know, the French do have colonies in Polynesia but that's not close at all. 

Debussy listened to Gamelan music that was being performed in Europe. Indonesian musicians travel too.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 15:38
Talvin Singh was born in London, but is apparently of Indian descent, and made his name by fusioning classical Indian music with Drum and Bass electronic music.

Edited by Lewian - August 28 2021 at 15:39
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 16:44
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

I hope you are right, I think that the rules are quite reasonable? The music suggestions made so far are very promising. Thanky you, too for this great choice! Smile
Debussy listened to Gamelan music that was being performed in Europe. Indonesian musicians travel too.
Sure, however that must have happened at least one century ago, rather beyond! Clap

Edited by Mila-13 - August 28 2021 at 17:25
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 16:47
^ Yes, I believe it was at a world's fair where Debussy encountered Indonesian music for the first time. This event is well documented in music history books.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 18:11
I'll start off with Kahimi Karie from Japan who uses the shibuya-kei style that was popular in the nineties.  

Kahimi Karie - "Lolitapop Dollhouse"

Next is an amazing band from Korea that mixes a lot of amazing traditional Asian styles and instruments to make a very unique sounding post rock.  This song is from an album that I listed in my top 20 releases for 2019.  Be prepared to be blown away with this one....and please listen to all of it for maximum effect.  This will most likely be my nomination to be voted on.

Jambinai - "Prelude/Onda"

Finally, here is an Asian-American band that does a nice chill out indie-rock that has some really nice guitar.

Sales - "Off and On"

Edited by TCat - August 28 2021 at 18:13

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 19:10
Great suggestion with Jambinai, Mike!

That album was also one of my favorites from 2019. Someome had posted in the forums their recent Tiny Desk performance about a month ago, which included ONDA. Opened with Time of Extinction from an earlier album. I recommend watching this as well.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 19:33
Back again, I realized my Russian act was from the European side of Russia and also found a representation of the Konghou harp without the annoying beep.  :)  Yes, glad you brought Jambanai in, Mike!

So here goes, first up is Marla Leigh, with "The Rhythms of Tof Miriam."  Tof Miriam is an Israeli frame drum, here with oud and ney, Marla is considered a master of the instrument.  

Next is The Chieftains, with "Sake in the Jar," featuring Akiko Yano, from Japan.  

And lastly, here is the modern Chinese Konghou double-strung harp, with "The Cresting Moon," played by Wang Xue (I believe).  She does not break a string (a harp string is terribly loud when they break, even a small one will make most people startle), she has a small pick on a string that she picks up and it hits another string on it's way, accidentally).  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>