Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What have you discovered through your love of prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you discovered through your love of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 00:13
Oh damn, I thought you said "porg!"  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 23:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That most pop songs are all exactly the same.

I laughed and nodded my head most vigorously at this because it's undeniably true. Even before I properly got into prog I was into classic rock and I was noticing this in the late 1990s and it hasn't changed since! 

As for what I've discovered through my love of prog is the diverse subgenres and influences that it has and discovering even more excellent music in the process. It's a neverending musical journey!  

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 19:05
Endless discovery...
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 09:52
^ You're not alone...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 07:54
I discovered that I was a fraud and had very little in terms of real musical talent. Thanks, Prog.
The Prog Corner
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 02:59
To give a disappointingly banal answer, I have discovered amazing singers and musicians through my love of prog (because these musicians happened to be part of the bands I discovered).  I don't know what else I was supposed to discover. Confused
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 00:37
Prog has shown me that what I personally value, enjoy, and appreciate about the construction of music = most people literally couldn't care less about if they tried, lol.

The more I delve into what I truly enjoy with no apology, the more I realize how little I have in common with other people!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 18:33
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I know what I like in my wardrobe (a white suit!) and I know what I like in a prog song, although it's hard to strictly define in words, but it always helps if the song includes a Mellotron. Smile

In reply to Progishness, try the "Downwind album by Pierre Moerlen's Gong if you've never been able to get into Gong. The album sounds remarkably like a classic album by Mike Oldfield. Thumbs Up

I actually have downwind on cd somewhere. Right now Time is the key is on the shelf and I played it once(good one). I have to revisit the early Gong albums at some point too. 

Speaking of Mike Oldfield I am severely lacking as far as he goes. I like what I've heard though.  I think he sounds like the PM Gong because they played on eachother's albums. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 29 2021 at 18:34
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 17:45
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

Wrong link
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0&t=1361s

Thanks, great link!!  This reminds me of an admonition from a bandmate many years ago = "Never wear underwear onstage!"

Glad you are finding out who you are, life is full of surprises.  My wife, an experienced psychologist, taught me "Love is never wrong!" 

What have I discovered?  Mostly how powerful the camaraderie is of fans of this music.  Presdoug and I are close friends, although we have not met - we have sent one another CDs and vinyl, and we share a deep and abiding love for many things prog.  

I still chat on a daily basis with friends I've known for 50 years or more, and we often discuss our live music exploits of the 1970s including Yes, Deep Purple, ELP etc.  The wonder never seems to fade. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 13:47
^ I know what I like in my wardrobe (a white suit!) and I know what I like in a prog song, although it's hard to strictly define in words, but it always helps if the song includes a Mellotron. Smile

In reply to Progishness, try the "Downwind album by Pierre Moerlen's Gong if you've never been able to get into Gong. The album sounds remarkably like a classic album by Mike Oldfield. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 13:06
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I discovered just how bad the mindless pap played on the radio today is compared to REAL music... i.e. Progressive Rock! Smile

I mean, after a day hard work, I would see why people would turn their brains off and listen to mindless garbage. It must requires some effort to listen to some prog rock albums, what comes to mind is Gentle Giant and 80s era King Crimson. I don't think the average person want to give that effort challenge their tastes. I didn't like Discipline for while, but after listening it to a-lot, its one of my favorite album.

Actually, I think I'd rather listen to mindless pap than Gentle Giant and 80's era King Crimson, but each to their own. Wink

I've never been able to get into Gentle Giant either, nor Gong, or Van Der Graaf Generator, or Magma for that matter, which probably means I'm not a 'proper prog fan'.

I once knew a guy who seemed to like every seventies prog band except Yes. I was going through his record collection and saw Pink Floyd(I think), Gentle Giant, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, National Health, Soft Machine, etc etc. but no Yes. I asked him why and he said he didn't like Yes. At the time I was thinking to myself "how can you be a prog fan if you don't like Yes?" This was in the 90's and at the time I doubt he had any idea about the current prog scene either(although I didn't ask him). He also didn't seem to know about Italian prog. So there you have it. People can like what they want and we don't have to agree with it as long as we know what we like (to paraphrase a certain prog song). Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 29 2021 at 13:08
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:54

I discovered just how bad the mindless pap played on the radio today is compared to REAL music... i.e. Progressive Rock! Smile

I mean, after a day hard work, I would see why people would turn their brains off and listen to mindless garbage. It must requires some effort to listen to some prog rock albums, what comes to mind is Gentle Giant and 80s era King Crimson. I don't think the average person want to give that effort challenge their tastes. I didn't like Discipline for while, but after listening it to a-lot, its one of my favorite album.

Actually, I think I'd rather listen to mindless pap than Gentle Giant and 80's era King Crimson, but each to their own. Wink

I've never been able to get into Gentle Giant either, nor Gong, or Van Der Graaf Generator, or Magma for that matter, which probably means I'm not a 'proper prog fan'.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

In the late 60s I discovered psychedelic rock. And prog was a natural progression (no pun intended) from there.

I wonder if prog actually happened because of psych or if they both happened concurrently. I tend to think that art rock at least happened around the same time psych started. You might even say psych was a kind of art rock. Also, I think PF and Zappa/MOI were blurring the lines as early as 66/67. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Without trying to be a terrible turnip ... that there is nothing in it that was not there before, except loudness.

The talent and ability for a lot of music has been around for thousands of years, and us thinking that one particular snot is different than all the rest ... is just tea time talk about the pink flamingos!

I can hear Judy Collins singing "Send in the Clowns" as the soundtrack to your post. Except with Marshall amps and Strats. 

Yes, music has existed for as long as mankind has been around. However, in context (and I realize you are incapable of maintaining contextuality), before prog there was simply 3-4 chord rock (or rock and roll, rockabilly or whatever) based on blues scales and R & B melodies. To say that progressive rock was simply a matter of loudness is a silly take -- sillier than your usual tripe. 

Synthesizing classical and jazz forms transcended that simplistic rock mode and allowed for more complex compositions within the rock genre. It expanded the palette, and for at least a little while also expanded popular music beyond the banal crap that still floods the airwaves. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 29 2021 at 11:29
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Without trying to be a terrible turnip ... that there is nothing in it that was not there before, except loudness.

The talent and ability for a lot of music has been around for thousands of years, and us thinking that one particular snot is different than all the rest ... is just tea time talk about the pink flamingos!
Yes but that's not what the question is about, and it's still possible to answer it without being "a terrible turnip":) - whatever that means. King Crimson, VdGG, The Residents, Schostacovich, Schubert, Magma, Miles Davis, Mal Waldron, Fairuz or just about any artist I've obsessed over have led me onto new, previously unknown paths. Most people didn't have parents with a gazillion classical albums and all that, so we'd had to find out about everything pretty much from scratch. I don't know why the fact that "talent and ability for a lot of music has been around for thousands of years" is a relevant reply at all. Do you think you're the only one who's aware of that? Why do you take for granted that everyone but yourself is a stupid ignorant?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 09:44
That music appreciation is essential to my health and well being; without it, I would be not well.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 09:36

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 08:22
Hi,

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 07:53
To the OP, I think you disingenuous but heartfelt. I don't really give a f*ck who you f*ck or want to f*ck but kudos to you that you're comfortable with disclosing your sexual orientation to complete strangers on a musical appreciation forum. It stands to reason that there are attractive males in Rock, Reggae, Jazz , Flamenco, Blues, Metal, Pop, Klezmer et al and you state your physical attraction to Peter Gabriel was not countenanced by the music so why do you feel compelled to conflate your avowed bisexuality with a love of Prog? Word to the wise. The prevalent orthodoxy that Prog = intelligent listener can be debunked by a random glance at the reviews and posts on PA. Just for the record, I'm openly straight, physically wretched and older than most trees.

Edited by ExittheLemming - August 29 2021 at 08:06
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 07:12
I love melodic music with powerful moments and quiet moments--and lots of drama lol
I also love music with a strong rhythm section --so Yes and Genesis fit the bill.
I also love music with complexity and not simple chorus and verse.

Having said that I don't love all prog and find some of it ridiculous ---when its good its very very good and when its bad its horrid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>