Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What have you discovered through your love of prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you discovered through your love of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What have you discovered through your love of prog
    Posted: August 28 2021 at 17:14
I would Like to hear your stories about what you have discovered through prog. I'll share my story in another post 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 17:22
That most pop songs are all exactly the same.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 17:34
Prog rock made me Gay
To be more clear with my language, Prog made me discover that I was bisexual.  
I'm rather young and have only been a prog rock fan for 3 years. I never watched the love performance of the artist on youtube since the quality of most recording from the 70s usually low. Prog in the 70s was a sausage fest, and it is still extremely male dominated today. I enjoyed the 70s atheistic of the artist, but never cared to much about it. I never learned about Peter Gabriels costumes until a 4 months ago when I came across this video which is in the bottom of this message. I never never understood being gay. The stereotype that was in my mind was of liking strong muscular men that are extremely athletic. I never thought that you could like more androgynous or feminine guys. Until I saw this vid. I was amazed at the beauty of Peter Gabriel. The Close up shots on the face really got to me and made me blush. I tried to deny it for a while, that I wasn't gay, but I keep coming back, not for the music, but to see him. I know this might sound strange to Heterosexuals  that grew up with this, but Peter Gabriel is pretty hot IMO. I started to look at more prog artist, not caring to protect my fragile Heterosexuality. I looked at John Wetton, and Jon Anderson, (when they were young of course) and It fully convinced me. and thats how prog made me gay. I know this must be extremely strange to hear, For most of you reading this are neither gay or young. Yet I'm happy that I did realize it this way. Now the problem is that I doubt I will find any man that looks like a 70s prog star, but I can still dream. Thanks for reading my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0&list=PLBX7aixn0YAe5qh9eYsNC2mua5uSQcMbQ&index=4&t=980s
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 17:53
Wrong link
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0&t=1361s
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 18:20
The basic answer is: Nothing.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 18:40
I discovered that Judas Priest-style guitar solos, prog or not, are the key to music enjoyment and music attaining legendary status.

I mean, the best prog songs all have the Judas Priest guitar solos. It's the most essential ingredient.

Edited by paganinio - August 28 2021 at 18:42
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 19:20
There is more to prog than prog.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 20:45
I'm not really sure what you mean exactly but through prog I have discovered and explored a bit more in classical, jazz, fusion, electronic (to some degree), and heavy metal(which I wasn't much into for a long time). It has also helped make me more open to the arts in general as well as learning in general (I know that sounds weird). 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 20:51
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

There is more to prog than prog.

That makes no sense. LOL There's certainly more to music than prog though.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 20:58
There is more to progressive music than Prog and more to Prog than progressive music. Also, lizards rule the world, and King Crimson's Lizard rules.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 22:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not really sure what you mean exactly but through prog I have discovered and explored a bit more in classical, jazz, fusion, electronic (to some degree), and heavy metal(which I wasn't much into for a long time). It has also helped make me more open to the arts in general as well as learning in general (I know that sounds weird). 

I concur.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 22:14
Also OP's story is great. Glad you found your truth!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:05
I've discovered I'm superior and can look down at all the plebs that only listen to 3 minute songs. Pah.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:09
In the late 60s I discovered psychedelic rock. And prog was a natural progression (no pun intended) from there.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:16
To paraphrase a couple of lines from the film 'Caligula' 'Everything and nothing, but you can't have both for the same price'.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:16
I discovered just how bad the mindless pap played on the radio today is compared to REAL music... i.e. Progressive Rock! Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 29 2021 at 04:19
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:25
I suppose in many ways I have prog to thank for opening the floodgate of wonderful music to discover - from all over the world, in all styles and genres and from all ages.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:51
I consider music in only two categories: Music to dance to, and music to listen to. What we call prog is on the second category, which is the least popular among people, but makes for a listening pleasure that is worth investing my time into, just like classical music, world/etnic music, etc.
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I discovered just how bad the mindless pap played on the radio today is compared to REAL music... i.e. Progressive Rock! Smile

I mean, after a day hard work, I would see why people would turn their brains off and listen to mindless garbage. It must requires some effort to listen to some prog rock albums, what comes to mind is Gentle Giant and 80s era King Crimson. I don't think the average person want to give that effort challenge their tastes. I didn't like Discipline for while, but after listening it to a-lot, its one of my favorite album.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 07:12
I love melodic music with powerful moments and quiet moments--and lots of drama lol
I also love music with a strong rhythm section --so Yes and Genesis fit the bill.
I also love music with complexity and not simple chorus and verse.

Having said that I don't love all prog and find some of it ridiculous ---when its good its very very good and when its bad its horrid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>